Survivor Series

HarmonicGenerator

On 11/19/2018 at 12:49 PM, Yakashi said:

You give the tubby boo boys too much credit. 

Only just got round to seeing the Charlotte-Ronda match, and thought it was an absolute belter, and the ominous crowd reactions added a lot to it.  I thought Rousey played up to the boos brilliantly at the end, rather than pretending it wasn't happening she looked really pissed off.  Highlight was her telling one of the tubby boo boys that "you're not a man".

I know we all love to shit all over WWE booking (with good reason sometimes) but I'm going to say that I think the booking and direction of all this women's division stuff this year, at the top level, has been fantastic.  Rousey's turned out to be a genuine wrestling prodigy (best rookie year ever) and they've leaned into it and really made something of her.  Right now they have these 3 top, top female stars that all have beefs with each other, are all fan favourites in a way and are all over as major threats.  It's like HHH/Rock/Austin era for me.  Flair snapping and beating the piss out of Rousey has made me much more interested in their interactions than before.

They have so many directions they can go now.  Each of Rousey/Flair/Becky can be a face against full heels but they can build to one-on-one confrontations between them as tentpole moments, and then just let the crowd go where they will.

If I wasn't told different online, I'd think they actually planned this out ;)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

Rousey's turned out to be a genuine wrestling prodigy

Great post, Loki. I love Rousey. I think she's been fantastic. In some ways, it's a shame she's on TV every week but I think she's got so good, so quickly that they don't see any reason not to treat her like everyone else. I love her confidence on the mic too. It's not an easy transition to go from being a great talker in MMA, where it's all you, to WWE where conveying someone elses message does for a lot of people. Ken Shamrock being the ultimate example of this. She's done great though. She's easily my promo of the year. There isn't a bloke in WWE on her level at the moment. Samoa Joe is at his best but rarely gets to say anything consequential.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

If I wasn't told different online, I'd think they actually planned this out ;)

This is the only bit I disagree with. I'm loathe to give them any credit for Becky. This is Daniel Bryan all over again. They did something stupid and the reaction has turned it into something else. I think what they've done with Charlotte this week is much more deliberate but I find her so uninteresting that I can't get into it and would love to get away from this idea that everything big has to include her.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

I thought Rousey played up to the boos brilliantly at the end, rather than pretending it wasn't happening she looked really pissed off.  Highlight was her telling one of the tubby boo boys that "you're not a man".

Sigh, more transphobia from her.

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

This is the only bit I disagree with. I'm loathe to give them any credit for Becky. This is Daniel Bryan all over again. They did something stupid and the reaction has turned it into something else. I think what they've done with Charlotte this week is much more deliberate but I find her so uninteresting that I can't get into it and would love to get away from this idea that everything big has to include her.

I'm loathe to as well, but there's just a suspicion that they threw badass Becky out there to see what would happen and then played it by ear.  They've given her the license to pursue that character where she wanted it to go, for sure.  Don't forget the Road Dogg's tweet about they were telling a story, and to not jump to conclusions.  The D-O-GG could be a mastermind...

As far as Flair is concerned, you may not like her (she's not my favourite, nor is Lynch for that matter) but it's absolutely the right thing to be positioning her at the top.  She is the perfect specimen, she's like a female Von Erich (a good one) - tall, striking looking, good wrestler and has this gold-plated pedigree that guarantees fan interest.  She's also young and seems remarkable injury-free.  I'd book her as my franchise player in EWR ;) 

You're also right about keeping Rousey off telly, but then that's true of all their top stars.

• Paid Members

Yep. Only just got around to seeing this show today and my main takeaway was how incredible that Rousey vs. Charlotte match was. Absolute dynamite. Match of the year candidate, for sure. It was only the other month that I was complaining about Ronda becoming just another woman, having the same type of WWE-style matches as everyone else, and then she delivers this and shuts me right up. This couldn't have been more different to what the rest of the women are doing. Rest of the entire roster, for that matter. There were no long, drawn-out heat segments followed by the predictable comeback. It didn't follow any particular pattern where you knew what was coming next. This felt like a fight where both women were trying to fuck each other up. Super stiff, super fast, it felt like a sprint to get victory at any cost. Awesome.

Seeing it play out, the finish and post-match beatdown was amazing too. Proper brutal. These past few months, the women's division has finally felt like the big deal they've pretended it's been for the past few years. After years of Sasha and Bayley doing whatever the fuck their deal is, Carmella having that rubbish Title reign, Alexa Bliss getting completely overexposed and Nia shitting up the entire division, suddenly you've got these three genuine superstars and they've had two of the best women's matches of all time in as many months. Fantastic stuff. I really hope they don't do a Triple Threat at Wrestlemania though. If the women are going to go on last I'd much prefer a straight singles match.

Still, Ronda's makeup has got to go.

Brock vs. Bryan was tremendous, too. The heel/face dynamic was a mess going in, but it's a testament to both guys that they managed to have such a great match regardless. Those forearms from Bryan were something else! You sense this turn and change in character has completely reignited Bryan's creativity and passion. He looks fucking thrilled to be able to try different things. I can't wait to see where he takes it. Hoping he continues to come up with new ways to troll the fans. I want him to have a TLC match with AJ Styles, but refuse to use any of the weapons in the way the fans hope. Sets up a table, but instead of using it against AJ he just puts out leaflets about veganism and environmentalism. Grabs a chair, but then sits down on it and checks his pulse. Stuff like that.

Yeah, Samoa Joe's elimination aside this was the antithesis of last year's event. Thumbs way up.

On 11/22/2018 at 11:28 AM, Loki said:

Rousey's turned out to be a genuine wrestling prodigy (best rookie year ever) and they've leaned into it and really made something of her.  

Goldberg says hello

Trolling aside, just finished watching it yesterday and a great show. When Brock was flinging Bryan around like a rag doll it did look bad after the first one as his eyes looked well out of it but a great match.

I know they are trying to put Drew over but that elimination of Joe was the shits. lowest point of the night .

Rest of it, great. 

Archived