Survivor Series

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

We're all thankful for our polka dots, for the justice we serve, for ALTHAPANENENTOOHHWAGHAAGHWAARRRRRRIIOOORRSITSGONANBEAWAAAAR and that we ain't Ricky Rude. But are we thankful that Survivor Series is this Sunday I think?

They're sticking with the Bragging Rights theme this year, and it's Raw vs. SmackDown, because no matter how much you may hate your rivals the rest of the year, you're all on the same TV show and that's thicker than blood or water until the day after Survivor Series when you get back to normal.

On the plus side though, the theme does give us some quite tasty matches for 2018. Card so far is looking like

Champion vs. Champion Matches

AJ Styles vs. Brock Lesnar

Becky Lynch vs. Ronda Rousey

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Seth Rollins

The Bar vs. AOP

Survivor Series Matches

Men's: Miz, Bryan, Joe, Mysterio & Shane vs. Ziggler, McIntyre, Strowman and two TBDs

Women's: Carmella, Naomi, Sonya, Asuka and a TBD vs. We don't know yet

Tags: Usos, New Day and some others vs. We don't know that yet either

The one non-brand vs. brand match that'll absolutely end up on the pre-show

Buddy Murphy vs. Mustafa Ali

The Champion vs. Champion matches all sound decent or better to me. Lynch vs. Rousey should absolutely be the main event and could be electric. Styles gave Lesnar his best match of last year, and since I can't remember a decent Brock match from this year I'm hopeful for a repeat performance. If the stars align for Nakamura/Rollins that could be amazing - I can hope. And if the tag champs get 5 or 10 minutes just to batter each other that could be loads of fun.

The Survivors matches, I'm less fussed about. Or rather, not fussed about at all. I think mainly because most of the teams so far are full of people who aren't supposed to like each other or get along, or who in some cases have been attacking each other days or weeks ago. This should play into what happens on the night but I know it won't because they'll all just stand their on the apron like nothing ever happened between them because THE BRAND is more important than everything just tonight. Yuck. So I don't care.

Murphy vs. Ali will be great because it's Murphy but it's going to be on the pre-show and that means I'll probably not see it even though I'm off on Monday.

At least, that was the card at the beginning of the week. It's all different now (Thursday):

Champion vs. Champion Matches

Daniel Bryan vs. Brock Lesnar

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Seth Rollins

The Bar vs. AOP

Not A Champion vs. Champion match

Charlotte Flair vs. Ronda Rousey

Survivor Series Matches

Men's: Miz, Hardy, Joe, Mysterio & Shane vs. Ziggler, McIntyre, Strowman, Balor and Lashley

Women's: Carmella, Naomi, Deville, Asuka and still one TBD vs. James, Jax, Tamina, Natalya and Riott

Tags: Usos, New Day Sanity, Club and Colons vs. Roode & Gable, Revival, B-Team, Ascension and Lucha House Party

The one non-brand vs. brand match that'll still absolutely end up on the pre-show even with the card changes

Buddy Murphy vs. Mustafa Ali

I'm probably less inspired now. The loss of Becky Lynch is a big reason for that, but I'm hopeful this will work out in the long run and they can get the Flair match out of the way now and go with Lynch/Rousey for WrestleMania.

Bryan vs. Lesnar could be great, but deserved a little more build up than the none it's had. It could also, just, kill Bryan. I'm worried for him and they're bound to play on that fear.

The Survivors matches are virtually complete now and have just continued their weird 'faces and heels together FOR THE BRAND' thing. Nice that the Colons and Ascension are getting their annual PPV appearance, I guess.

So. Are you looking forward to the PPV this year or might you just watch 1989 again instead?

IT'S THA SUUUUURVIIIIIIVOR SERIES!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My balls are tingling over Lynch/Rousey but otherwise the lack of any real consequence coming from the show means there's really not much in it for me. Some potentially decent matches but nothing that's exactly going to shake the foundations of the business or anything like that.

I am, however, salivating at the NXT TakeOver card. Dare we Dream...

Velveteen-Dream-Hogan.jpg.da2dc58fe5a3099464e513389ba4681e.jpg

I'm looking forward to see what scrubs they remember exist in the tag team division to make up the numbers on the Survivor's tag team match.

At a guess -

Uso's/New Day/Sanity/Club/Colons vs Revival/B Team/Slater & Rhyno/Gable & Roode/Ascension

The rest of the card looks decent though, looking forward to Lesnar/AJ 2 and Ronda/Becky should be fantastic.

• Paid Members

It's probably the least interest that I have had in a big card all year, if you exclude the Melbourne and Saudi shows. The whole Bragging Rights theme is utter bollocks. I also don't need anymore matches with zero stakes, as we get enough of those on Smackdown and Raw each week. As HG has said in the opening post, a lot of these matches look great on paper. However all of them mean the square root of fuck all. 

It's all about the NXT card from the night before for me. That card looks incredible. It should deliver in the ring, as they always do, and the results will matter in the grand scheme of things, as they usually do with TakeOver shows. 

If even one of those matches at Survivors had both titles on the line it would mean a hell of a lot more. It wouldn't need to be a permanent switch either. Rollins could beat Nakamura for the US belt but have to defend both belts at each PPV or something, and lose it back to a Smackdown guy at TLC. Just something, anything, to add a point to one of these matches. 

I’ve accepted that it’s a Red v Blue, but I’m kind of hoping that they do away with the points system like they had last year. As good a match as Lesnar/AJ was last time, because of where it was on the card, you knew AJ was losing before the bell even rang because they just had to have the points tied heading into the final match. And as has been mentioned, as soon as it’s done, nothing gets followed up on by having one brand come out on top, so what does it matter.

If you were to have another draft the next night, the number of points could correspond to the number of drafts each brand gets, that at least gives them something to fight for...then you remember that prople get moved around willy nilly anyway, so what’s the fucking point

Can't wait for it to be over, these last 2 or 3 months of the year are the absolute pits, this stupid brand rivalry which usually means a massive focus on a McMahon or 3 arguing all over my TV about "red and blue", despicable heels for 11 months of the year that suddenly dress up in a Smackdown t-shirt to wrestle. Spoiling potential dream matches once these guys ARE on the same brand and competing for championships or in a heated feud. It's so ridiculous it makes my brain numb. Just have one elimination match for men and women, and make it a showcase for the jobber cunts like Mojo and Aiden English and Tyler Breeze etc, give them a trophy and maybe a couple of slots in the Rumble as a prize for the winning team, then have same brand championship matches like a regular PPV.

Then am I right in thinking it's TLC in Dec?? More conveniently timed shite, feuds they only start on the Raw before and they are chucking chairs and ladders at each other when the rivalry is barely a week old.

Bring on Rumble season.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

Then am I right in thinking it's TLC in Dec?? More conveniently timed shite, feuds they only start on the Raw before and they are chucking chairs and ladders at each other when the rivalry is barely a week old.

Yeah, I hate the way stuff gets made artificially bigger than it is or than it organically has developed to just because of where we are in the calendar.

28 minutes ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

Bring on Rumble season.

Ah.

I wouldn't even mind if they did something like the winning brand had more rumble entrants or even something like the winning brand came out in the second half of the rumble to give them a slight edge. Then you have storylines created just off the basis of somebody costing the team the win or even the winners thinking they have a better chance of winning the rumble. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Briefcase said:

I wouldn't even mind if they did something like the winning brand had more rumble entrants or even something like the winning brand came out in the second half of the rumble to give them a slight edge. Then you have storylines created just off the basis of somebody costing the team the win or even the winners thinking they have a better chance of winning the rumble. 

One of the things WCW did so well during the nWo run was present many of the group collisions - War Games 96, the Uncensored clusterfuck - as having stakes, usually presented in terms of "concessions"  ; the nWo can turn up to any show they want, challenge for any title they want, Souled Out happened etc. The winning Survivors team all being handed numbers in 20-30 for instance is EXACTLY the kind of thing that would get people more interested. Even though we jaded schmucks on here will spend the next 3 months convinced who's winning the Rumble and no clever booking device will change our minds - for me, it's been Daniel Bryan since he lost the first match to Miz at SummerSlam - but imagine being a kid that thinks Raw winning might give, let's say, Elias a better chance of winning the Rumble? You'd bloody love it.

What else are they fighting for? Trophy? Meaningless silverware? Done that last month. Shane McMahon's the best in the world m8.

• Paid Members
On 11/12/2018 at 10:36 AM, HarmonicGenerator said:

We're all thankful for our polka dots:

Survivor Series Matches

Men's: Miz, Bryan, Joe, Mysterio & Shane vs. Ziggler, McIntyre, Strowman and two TBDs

Women's: Carmella, Naomi, Sonya, Asuka and a TBD vs. We don't know yet

Tags: Usos, New Day and some others vs. We don't know that yet either

The Survivors matches, I'm less fussed about. Or rather, not fussed about at all. I think mainly because most of the teams so far are full of people who aren't supposed to like each other or get along, or who in some cases have been attacking each other days or weeks ago. 

So. Are you looking forward to the PPV this year or might you just watch 1989 again instead?

IT'S THA SUUUUURVIIIIIIVOR SERIES!

“I’m tankful I got da big ertquake on my side.” Dino Bravo, RIP.

Aside from that, I’m gutted I’m not hosting the live PPV for this at Aspers. We’ve got the gig to host all of the official PPVs in Newcastle, but due to general low interest following Crown Jewel, we’ve halted it until the Rumble.

I’m happy enough with the card, but the Survivor Series matches... pure shit.

I think it’s the perfect opportunity to change the concept a tad, as it simply doesn’t work now for the very reasons you’ve mentioned.

I think either a tag-4 corners or tornado match would be ideal for this. The winning team/person has survived, but don’t have to tag with someone they hate.

They clearly gave up on the concept of the original Survivor Series format years ago, a true shame, so instead of flogging a dead horse, trade it in for a pony, or donkey. Not quite the Stallion it was, but at least it’s not motionless, like Dino Bravo.

• Paid Members

Rumourss being fed to Meltzer and Co but unconfirmed that Becky Lynch is off the card due to a broken nose and possible concussion. Nia Jax is such a useless fucking lump. How many does she have to injure before they fuck her off?

Archived