DDP Yoga

Winston

• Paid Members

Ya. The breathing part of it, while a pain in the arse at first, is pretty vital in the whole yoga enjoyment experience. You can go without, but you're robbing yourself of some of the fun.

A mate, who's been a plumber for nearly half his life now, had to have pretty significant back surgery when he was 21-22. Of course, like a lot of back operations you hear about, it sort of worked but didn't really fix the problem, as his back can go from time to time, given his job it's not really ideal. After much macho objections (for women, innit!), he listened to me and started giving yoga a go (I may have told his missus to basically force him into it). As you may expect, he now says it's a vital part of his weekly routine and his back pretty much never gives him jip, these day. It's pretty remarkable, really.

If anyone on here has any back issues they're foolish not giving yoga a good go.

Edited by ColinBollocks

If you want the mental benefits without the spiritual bollocks, I'd suggest looking into mindfulness.  The reason yoga makes you feel better mentally as well as physically is the breathing and focus make you very mindful during the class.  Mindfulness practice generally including mindful meditations can provide the same outside of yoga.  It sounds like a lot of wishy-washy bollocks, but I've found it very helpful indeed.

There are often free mindfulness courses available online.

I tried it and didn't really get into it. I struggled with the fact that the DVDs demos are really stop, start. I get that they need to explain the positions and workouts slowly at first for you to pick up and know what you're doing, but for someone like me who has a memory like a sieve, I was hoping for the same workouts where you just go through at normal pace being reminded of what exercise to do and brief reminders. It felt like it was a beginners guide and then you're on your own.

12 hours ago, Doog said:

What’s the best pack to get to start with? There’s a fair bit on the website but it doesn’t really say which ones to get as a beginner

Had the same question.

To be fair , 20 mins sounds well doable. Would twice a week be reasonable to assume as being the minimum.

is there any free samples ?

Im not overweight but I would like to be more flexible.

• 2 years later...