If you could appear on any game show...

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That reminds me, there was a disabled chap who couldnt really speak that well on Bullseye once, and the answer to the question was " Socrates." This being the late 80s and it being Jim Bowen, he didnt really know how to handled anyone different, so when the lad said something like "Socrahathaahahwiej" Jim just said "no sorry, I'll have to pass that one." The poor cunt got it right, but Jim couldnt be quite sure so said "why risk it" and let the other bloke have it.

Anyway, that's the episode I'd have liked to have been on.

• Paid Members

My mum wants to go on Pointless with me for one of those trophies, but I have mates who I know I'd have a better chance of doing well with, but also worry that I'd have a massive anxiety related brainfart  and either forget everything I know, or be absolutely terrible at talking to Alexander Armstrong.

I'd also really like to try and assemble a team to have a tilt at Only Connect.

• Paid Members

Probably the original Crystal Maze or Games Master. Maybe also Games World that was on Sky 1.

• 1 month later...

Always fancied myself on the Chase.

I know it sounds big headed but i can normally get £8,000 on the initial cash builders and 15+ on my own no problem on the final chase. Anything at all on the arts or literature though and i'm utterly useless, likewise anything on the history of the monarchy (and you are about 90% certain to get at least one of these per episode).

Watching the old gameshows on Challenge one thing that always sticks out is how ridiculous the prize pot was back then. Catchphrase for example which was one of the easier shows (in my opinion) and you could walk away with a luxury two week holiday, a big wad of spending money PLUS the dosh you accumulated in the first round(s) on top of all that.

Nowadays in comparison you could be facing the Eggheads which is about as difficult as you can get and be playing for a measly grand.

Is there some kind of gaming commission rule changes in the maximum payout rules etc (same way you get different fruit machine payouts in social clubs, bowling clubs compared to a normal pub). Seems a total pittance now compared to even 15 years ago.

EDIT: In regards to 15-to-1 my grandad made it through screen tests and auditions for the original series back in the late 80's but couldn't attend the actual filming of it as he was away on holiday at the time. He always remarked how "cliquey" he felt the whole thing was, a lot of people there were all on first name terms and he thought that was pretty odd until the penny dropped and one of the producers told him there was a big network of semi-professional quizzers who applied to all of the big shows and ended up on various auditions across the country and were all familiar with each other from previous trips.

@Stylin_and_Profilin up until the early 1990's the maximum cash prize on a quiz show was £6,000 due to the Broadcasting Act. Hence why a lot of the 70s and 80s gameshows had prizes instead of cash (Generation Game, Sale of the Century, 321, Bullseye etc).

When that legislation was repealed there was a surge of gameshows which offered bigger prizes like Play Your Cards Right and Catchphrase. The big change was when Millionaire hit the screens then other channels followed suit with humongous prizes.

The main reasons why Eggheads and Pointless has such low prizes in comparison is that they are a daily quizshow so the budget is a lot less than the weekly primetime gameshows and the BBC have reduced the prizes after a scandal a few years ago when a BBC radio contest was found to be fixed which stopped competitions for quite a while. Back in the day you won premium bonds for picking goal of the month on MotD and that has not been reinstated. 

Gameshows and quizshows aren't regulated by the Gambling Commission as the contestants aren't risking their own money. It is regulated by OFCOM. 

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Stylin_and_Profilin said:

Always fancied myself on the Chase.

We met the Beast at a wrestling event. I knew he was a big lad but have never heard/read of how legitimately big he truly is. Friggin masshoove. Purple mask is 6 foot. The Beast was hunched over most of the day too and was walking like Terry Funk, poor lad.

F3E998EB-25B0-407F-A9DD-B761B1DDDC5B.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

He’s a career game show contestant then. Good on him. He’s clearly done bloody well from it

He's making a living from something he loves, and he lives the gimmick, brother. Fair play indeed!

Archived