UFC 232: Jones vs Gustafsson 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

its amazing to think back to his initial couple of years in the UFC where he was about as clean cut as they came. He came across as the perfect role model, how times change.

Did success change Jones or was he always a bit of a bellend putting on an act?

• Paid Members

@Egg Shen There was always that talk that he was ‘fake’ for a long time before he went full heel. I think a lot of people picked up a vibe that underneath his churchgoing goody-two shoes act there was something shitty about him. A lot of that seemed to start with the Rashad feud and the way that whole thing went down. Then later that year the UFC 151 cancellation got blamed on him (for once that wasn’t Jones’ fault) and it’s been one thing after another since then. 

I think the first fight I saw of his was the Stephan Bonnar one. His debut against Andre Gusmao was on the prelims at a time when we never got the prelims on telly so the Bonnar fight was my introduction to him. His performance that night blew me away and I never picked up on anything negative until around the Rashad buildup. Fuck, remember when he saved some old lady from getting mugged on the same day he won the title from Shogun? Ultimate babyface. 

• Paid Members

Jones has always had an unwavering smugness to him that made his "this for Jesus" shtick seem absolutely forced. Prior to him being a confirmed sinner, I remember it regularly turning people off on the forum. Of course, being a bit smug and Phoney 4 Je$u$ is hilariously nowt compared to his last 5 years or so. I'd probably be awkwardly giving Jones a McGregor-size benefit of the doubt if he was remotely likeable prior to all this. He's always been a bit of a cock. I mean, our sweetheart Double Champ sniffed out the evil in their first ever meeting, then Jones had to go and make him cry.

Corey Anderson’s Twitter post shows why this whole situation is pathetic. 

Trace amounts or not, the general rule is you go away for a bit before an investigation. But because it’s Jon Jones, the whole show gets moved and fuck the other fighters and travelling fans.

I don’t care, because I’m happy to see the fight, but it’s a decision to protect one man at the cost of everyone else. The only way this has a satisfying end is if Gus punches him to the moon.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Corey Anderson’s Twitter post shows why this whole situation is pathetic. 

Trace amounts or not, the general rule is you go away for a bit before an investigation. But because it’s Jon Jones, the whole show gets moved and fuck the other fighters and travelling fans.

I don’t care, because I’m happy to see the fight, but it’s a decision to protect one man at the cost of everyone else. The only way this has a satisfying end is if Gus punches him to the moon.

yeh from the perspective of someone whos planning on watching this from the comfort of his sofa this just turns this into a brilliant babyface vs. heel affair, i cant wait for this.

• Paid Members

It's incredible that even despite this, people like Novitsky, USADA, and Andy Foster are still defending Jones.

He has just tested positive yet again, for roughly around the same amount of the drug that he initially tested positive for a year and a half ago. 

A primary use of Turinabol is to allow you to keep your strength whilst weight cutting, hence it's common use for Powerlifting and weight lifting. It's not the best drug for mass or strength gains, hence why he isn't testing positive for it out of season. The 'you would have to be stupid' line from the CSAC is utter nonsense. 

There's a reason it wasn't in his system at the start of July 17, that it was at the end of July and that it wasn't present again several months later, and now it's back in his system again the week of a fight. 

The people who make money off of Jon, want you to believe he is intentionally clean, which has turned the whole drug testing deal with USADA into a farce. So we now have:

-The time he hid under the cage

-The instance his TE levels were that low he should have been dead.

-The coke test

-The Clomiphene failure, a drug used to kick start your Test levels after a cycle

-July '17, Turinabol failure during his weight cut

-Dec '18 Turinabol failure during a weight cut. 

I have to say, it's really added an extra layer to the whole thing and has added more excitement where there was already plenty, but fuck me, if there was ever an instance to say that it's 'time to shit or get off the pot' this is it. What point is there in drug testing, if this is how it's being handled? Either do it right, or don't do it at all. A half way house is nothing more than another con in a business already chock full of them. 

The theory I read is that training somehow released a residual amount of Turinabol into a different part of Jones's body. That's why it showed up on Jones's December test and not before then. It was seemingly hidden in his reserves when he was tested before December. Turinabol is said to stay in your system for an unspecified amount of time. An article went round yesterday that stated that a college athlete kept testing positive for it years after he used it. One of the press releases stated that the Turinabol might stay in Jones' system indefinitely. 

I am far from an expert on this sort of thing. I really don't know what to believe. But I think there are two possibilities. 

A) Jones used Turinabol at some point before 2018 and is still reaping the consequences of it. 

B) He's used it again and USADA are covering for him. This theory is gaining traction as some are still suspicious about Lesnar's test going missing from USADA's database. It's also notable that Jones didn't sign up to VADA testing. 

Either way, few have come out of this looking good. The UFC have not handled the situation well at all. A lot of fighters on the UFC 232 bill only found out the show was being moved to California through social media. Helwani thinks they should have kept the card in Vegas and only moved the Jones vs Gusty fight to California. Jones's reputation has taken yet another clobbering. Most of the MMA community are convinced he's guilty as sin. Furthermore, I am far from a prude but I didn't find the Jones vs DC back and forth on Instagram entertaining. It was just unpleasant, a bit like the Conor vs Floyd press conferences. Gusty handled the situation perfectly by voicing that he thought Jones was guilty and that he was going to beat him at the weekend, and then leaving it at that. 

Nevertheless, I cannot deny that I am looking forward to the fight. I hope Gusty does a number on Jones. Will he? Probably not. But if anyone can beat Jones at 205lbs, it's Gusty. WAR GUSTY!

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh from the perspective of someone whos planning on watching this from the comfort of his sofa this just turns this into a brilliant babyface vs. heel affair, i cant wait for this.

It’s a bit of a stretch to call Gusty a heel but I see your point ;)

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh, it was the Shogun fight was the height of the babyface run. Taking that on late notice and winning that was a real feel good moment. Everyone was rooting for Jones that night.

I wasn’t ;) I think that was the first time I’d rooted against Jones actually. Loved seeing him ruin the likes of Bader and Vera previously. I didn’t even dislike Jones back then but seeing Shogun finally win the UFC title only to get completely outclassed in his first defence, to the point he tapped to strikes, was fucking cack. As soon as he got hit with that flying knee about 3 seconds into the fight I knew it was going to be ugly. 

With McG taking a pasting it's clear the UFC need a new face of the sport, and just like McG, Bones is gonna be given a lot of leeway so long as he shows up and smacks that Swedish chump around.

He's right though, he could literally smack DC's wife on the ass and DC could do absolutely fuck all. Except, of course...

5TJ8svy_zpsi22tyuhj.gif

Archived