UFC 232: Jones vs Gustafsson 2

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

This is getting very close now. In a week's time we'll see the re-match, five years later, of one of the best title matches in UFC history. The first fight was extremely close, but I just narrowly scored it for Gus. It was razor thin either way though. 

In theory, all this time out should have hurt Jones for his return, and it did when he fought OSP, but he was better than ever in July 2017 after that suspension. If Gus had been active during the whole time that Jones wasn't, then I think people would be giving him more of a shot he, but he's coming into this on a worse run of activity than even Jones. 

Gustafsson looked phenomenal against Glover, but that was what, 19 months ago? Unlike Jones, Gustafsson's layoff has been due to continued injuries as well, so in that time he has put considerable miles on his body. 

Both these men are as elite as it gets. Jones is right up there along with only a few others, to be counted on one hand, for the best of all time. In any other era, without Cormier or Jones, Gusty's talents would have likely seen him reign supreme, dominantly, over the LHW division. 

Gustafsson is a huge outsider to get it done in this fight, partially because he lost the first one, the injuries and because people believe she ran Jones close because Jon underestimated him and didn't train properly and that they assume Jones won't make the same mistake again. Is that the truth though, or is that the narrative out of the Jones camp in order to explain why it was such a close run thing? 

How much damage have the injuries done to Gustafsson? Is he anything like the man that fought Glover? Is he better? How focused is Jones on Gus, or is he looking right past him to DC? Will this be the Jones coming off a layoff that fought Cormier or the one that fought OSP? How much will does Gusty have to make sure that he's not forever thought of as the 'nearly' man of LHW. There's millions of questions around this fight, but the only thing I'll not be questioning is the potential of a good fight. It's got the hallmarks of another classic. 

When I watched Gustafsson beat the breaks off of Glover Teixeira, I said to myself 'he has the beating of Jones'. He hasn't fought since. I think it's going to be a hell of a lot closer than a lot of people expect, but I have more doubt at the minute over Gustafsson's ability to look the same or better than he did in the fights with Jones/Cormier/Glover, than I have over Jon Jones ability to look like the same man that headkicked DC into Dreamland.

The real question may end up being if it still happens next weekend, and does the result end up getting overturned to a NC in a few weeks time. Such is MMA and such is the career of these two men for building you up buttercup, just to let you down again. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He finished the Chael fight with about 10 seconds left in the first, after his toe got caught in the cage and mangled. Seeing his reaction after noticing it, I wonder what would have happened if their was a second round and he noticed it, when he looked at it he seemed to lose all adrenaline and needed to sit down straight away. I think Rogan pointed it out in the post from ght interview.

They seem to be launching a new belts on this card, Bisping thinks it will have the colours of all the nations that have held the belts but that's only about 10 countries.

I forgot about that. Good memory. 

Still, that was more of a case of misfortune. Sonnen had very little to offer Jones. Gusty has been the only fighter to match him over a full fight. DC did pretty well in their second fight, but he ultimately got his clock cleaned. Others like Machida and Belfort had their moments before Jones took over and finished them. 

I think that Gusty is the best bet to outscore Jones over 5 rounds. He has the game to give Jones issues. Of course, I favour Jones to prevail next weekend. But I am very excited about them fighting again. 

Yeah obviously Chael had nothing for him offence wise but it would have been mental if he had to stop a fight due to bad luck.

I still think Jones took him lightly, he was smashing everyone and all they could sell the fight on was Gus being similar height, Gus has since proved himself against DC, and the rest of the division outside Rumble, who could knock out anyone if he catches them, he really looked great against Glover, I think that was his last fight though.

• Paid Members
Just now, Zaheer said:

Old and busted: Changing the main event 3 times in a few days due to injuries, arrests and bitching by the commission about a fighter not being ranked high enough.

New hotness: Keeping the main event but moving the whole card hundreds of miles, and making your already irritated fanbase spend even more money canceling and re-booking trips at the last minute.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell. Soon as I saw this thread had been bumped my immediate thought was ‘come on then Jon. What have you done now?’ 

I’m now fully expecting him to beat Gustafsson spectacularly...then it comes out he’s failed every test. It’s the most Jon Jones thing ever. Either that or he manages to fuck up even more over the next 6 days and kills this fight completely. 

Archived