Michael Cole vs Tony Schiavone

JudyBagwell

• Paid Members

Unpopular opinion time - I think Cole is great. I really enjoyed him during the initial brand split, all the way up until he got traded to Raw. I do agree with some of the criticisms levelled against him - at times he sounds robotic, artificial and downright bored - but I think he's got one of the toughest jobs in the business. He has to call the action in the ring, shill their upcoming events, get over storylines, constantly promote the Network and all of their social media activity, and all the time he's got that mad old cunt yelling down the headset. When he's let off the leash I think he brings a genuine enthusiasm to the product that nobody else has since JR. And Cole probably didn't kill puppies, so has that going for him.

Saying that, I can't say he's better than Schiavone as I simply haven't heard enough of Tony.

• Paid Members

Cole and Tazz on Heyman's Smackdown were great, but I was raised on Tony and Jesse on WCW Worldwide. Trotting through the old NWA 80s stuff on the Network he's a good presenter, but David Crockett is running things too much at times as well on those shows. When he cared about what he was doing and had the right people around him he was brilliant, but when it felt like it was just a job he was insufferable. I wonder how Cole would get on if he was given free reign to just call the matches.

• Paid Members

Michael Cole is fantastic at doing what WWE wants of their lead announcer/host in this era. It's a crazily difficult job. However, comparing commentary ability where it comes to enjoyment to listen to, it's not even close. Tony is leap years ahead of Cole as an entertaining commentator.

Cole almost always feels completely false, like an actor doing an audition, repeating what the director is telling them. With Schiavone, you get the "ah it's Uncle Tony! It's great to see you again big T!" He feels familiar, friendly and most of all when you hear him, you feel like you're hearing him. 

Schiavones call of the 89 Summerslam is possibly one of my favorite calls ever, he sounded so passionate and enthused and coupled with a hot crowd made it one hell of an entertaining watch

Vince didnt care for his commentary at all apparently and it leaves me to wonder what Schiavones career could have been if Vince had been a fan 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, JudyBagwell said:

Schiavones call of the 89 Summerslam is possibly one of my favorite calls ever, he sounded so passionate and enthused and coupled with a hot crowd made it one hell of an entertaining watch 

HE PICKED HIM UP!!!!!!!!! 😲

7 minutes ago, air_raid said:

HE PICKED HIM UP!!!!!!!!! 😲

This should be a disqualification! That's a disqualication! Where the hell is the referee?

That's outside of the ring, Jesse.

So what?

As much, it could just be a countout here.

What are you gonna tell me, Schiavone? You can shoot somebody outside the ring as long as it's outside the ring?

• Paid Members

When Goldberg hoists up Hogan for the Jackhammer, Heenan sets it up beautifully: "This place will erupt if he picks him up..."

"...HE'S GOT HIM UP!!" 

I love big Tony. The late 90's/Early 00's WCW stuff would've been difficult for any announcer to call/articulate to any audience. I don't watch much MLW but this thread has made me check out some of his work and I'm digging it. 

I think without the shackles on, Cole can be excellent. When you take out the Vince-isms such as the soundbites and overt shilling, injected with some genuine enthusiasm, he's top dog. Also, notice the difference during stints when he has Triple H in his ear as opposed to Vince at TV and PPVs. There's definitely a different zest and vigour about his work. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Cole's heel run across NXT and into Smackdown was absolutely incredible, loved him in that timeframe. Him walking out on the women's NXT is money. 

Heel Michael Cole was the worst thing to happen to commentary since Mr Donovan said to Mrs Donovan "Do you fancy an early night?"

Cole you feel sticks to the script and these days you feel the product is more to the letter than ever before. You do feel the commentary of yesteryear had a bit more freedom in that the commentators could say what they wanted with freedom, nowadays its all off a script and almost too PG.

Also in Cole's defence he has been there at the end of the attitude era and the product has changed somewhat since then so he has almost had to adapt in the last 20 or so years. Something I think that gets forgotten. 

Archived