Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

Felt this deserved it's own thread as it could clog up WPY? 

It is fair to say I am looking forward to this. Fallout 3 is still my favourite game of all time, and I played Fallout 4 solely for nearly a year. I'm not hugely enamoured of playing online with randoms, but no one I know will play this. 

So I played the BETA last night. So spoilers from here, but only on gameplay. 

It's the Fallout 4 engine, but it has had a visual overhaul. It looks fantastic. 

It starts like any other Bethesda Fallout. Run through vault, exit vault. And then there are humans. 

Running into other humans is weird. Online people behave annoyingly like they do; jumping everywhere, popping emotes etc. That's fine, I ignore them. I ransack places. I realise I've lost the sense of being the first person to discover something. It's hurting the experience a bit. 

At level 5 griefing is enabled (hooray). It just means I ignore people more as I can't trust anyone. 

Stats are different. All your stats are at 1, and you spend XP to upgrade a SPECIAL and are awarded a perk card to equip. You then choose a hand of equipped cards. 

VATS is still there and I think will have the edge on FPS. 

Instances pop up regularly. You and anyone in the area work on a small goal. Rewards are generous. 

So it's early days but I'm on the fence. It's just not Fallout. Maybe if I can get a crew together it'll click. If anyone wants to add Roast_Potato on PSN (put your UKFF name as I don't accept randoms). 

• Paid Members

It sounds like if you had a decent crew of people on a private server you'd be able to have a good time, but hopefully it doesn't end up being populated by those weapons that turn up occasionally in GTA online and the other online games to just cause some shit as they can ruin the experience sometimes. 

• Awards Moderator
On 10/31/2018 at 10:02 AM, FelatioLips said:

Is it an open Beta?

It's not open no. 

But I have two PS4 BETA codes that can be used tonight and tomorrow night, PM if someone wants them. 

Further thoughts: I'm enjoying it a lot more, but I'm effectively soloing the game at the moment. I'm ignoring other players which is possible on 25 player maps. 

I would like to try it with a proper crew though. 

The main criticisms from the Internet are around a fairly low carry limit, lack of push to talk, lack of text chat. All easily fixed. The other thing is if you get along with loads of audio logs to propel the story or not. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

The main criticisms from the Internet are around a fairly low carry limit, lack of push to talk, lack of text chat. All easily fixed. The other thing is if you get along with loads of audio logs to propel the story or not. 

That was one of the main problems I had with ESO. Well, that along with the fact every items takes up the same amount of space and you also can't dump your stuff anywhere. It diluted the Elder Scrolls gameplay considerably for me, amongst other things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Got my disc copy. 56gb download followed by 10gb update. 10 hours to download says PSN. 

"Fuck My Life", as the cool kids say. 

I did get these cute pins with it, so there is that. 

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1542223659370.jpg_1542223663413-810x1332.thumb.jpeg.4a139d46359fd3437a5006116b3a6661.jpeg

Edited by Onyx2

I've just "acquired" a PS4 copy, which is a bit annoying because I played the beta on Xbone so my progress is all on there. Also I don't have a PS4 mic, so communication is going to be a bit of a bugger. Still, we'll see what happens. If any of you lads are on PS4 and don't mind hanging out with a mute, I'm MisterHumphries.

Edited by CAREBEAR LUVVA

Someone was following me around for ages earlier, and I was getting really annoyed because he kept coughing every 20 seconds or so. One of those horrible throaty coughs with all phlegm rattling around. Awful. Eventually I wondered aloud (after all, I've no headset/mic) "how the fuck do I mute this coughing prick..." and was shocked when he shouted back "eyyyy fuck yee ya cunt" and started shooting me while shouting further obscenities. Fallout 76 has taught me that there's a microphone in the PSVR camera, and if it's plugged in, it's always working.