What did you want to be when you grew up?

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I always wanted to and still do want to draw things for money in some capacity. I'd like to draw children's books, I'm pretty much there ability wise so I'm just hoping for an insane stroke of luck because I'm terrible at pushing myself. At least it doesn't have an age limit like being a sportsman or something, Dr Seuss was pretty old.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I did what I have wanted to since I was 10. Become a singer it's all I do and it involves singing in old people's homes and some dodgy social clubs and pubs but I do what I wanted to. After being told by a careers advisor that I was dreaming and get a proper job. I sing solo and I have my own band. I can't moan at all my hobbies is my job

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Sphinx said:

If it's just the age then there's no reason not to take a risk.

4 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Why not?

It's partly an age issue but also a security one too. I've just booked my wedding for November 2019 and after that it's straight onto kids and that whole new level of life. Seems a bit inappropriate for me to start chasing lofty aspirations at 30 when I really need to put all my energy into raising and caring for the little'uns. At a push I look for a higher-paying job.

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Agreed with @Sphinx. 30 is far from too old to get started in a new career. One of my best friends is a news producer with the BBC - he only got started in journalism, with almost no experience in that field, having previously been predominantly in recruitment, when he was 34.

I know we're living in unsettled and uncertain times, but I strongly recommend having a serious think. And listen to the below skit for a bit of motivation

Maybe I could carve some time later on for myself? Or maybe I could luck into something in the next year or so. People have told me to take a course over the next year but I have no clue what I would do. I think I'm very limited by my age and what I have achieved thus far, and it's 100% my own fault.

I'm not going down without a fight, but most days I'm just thankful that a) I'm not working retail and b) I have an amazing partner (who is the exact opposite of me, aspirations and work ethic wise) who is there to keep my spirits up.

Thanks for the encouraging words, lads. It does mean a lot. 

• Paid Members

No worries, man. Yes, having a family may limit your options more than if you weren't doing that, but there's still leeway. Your partner sounds a good 'un, sure they'd be very supportive, provided you came up with a realistic and tangible plan for embarking on a chosen career path.

I'm now 39, and it's only been since last year that I'm on my current career path - I'm running my own company, and it's doing well. This has come after quitting the acting lark at 30, and then spending the next seven or so years making numerous, abortive attempts at a solid career in various industries, including estate agency (absolutely hated it, horrible industry).

If a man-child like me can build something for myself at 39, a centred and apparently stable guy like yourself should piss it.

• Paid Members

As a kid I always thought that by my 30s I wanted to simply be a man who is balding, no taller than 5’6” and in a job that I do solely to pay the bills and take very little enjoyment from. That’s what I aspired to be. I fucking nailed it. 

No seriously, as far back as I can remember I was always fascinated by fighters. I can’t recall a time before I watched some form of combat. Whether it was the Turtles kicking arse or Bruce Lee kicking arse or the Ultimate Warrior kicking arse. So naturally I wanted to be a ninja turtle or a Kung Fu master or a wrestler when I was really young. All obviously realistic goals for a little pale kid from Birmingham. When I was about 8 or 9 we got our first dog, a beautiful white German shepherd, and I’ve loved dogs ever since. So for a brief time I wanted to work with animals but that didn’t excite me as much as Jackie Chan, Arnie and Nigel Benn twatting people so it didn’t last. As a teenager I decided I was going to pursue my obsession and try to become a pro fighter of some kind. I dabbled in Boxing and Muay Thai for a few years and the crushing reality set in that, as much as I love it, I’m not cut out for that life. I learned that I just don’t have the hardness, the mentality, the focus and discipline or the killer instinct. Basically I’d have got fucked up. Bad. Oh well. 

We asked my daughter the other month what she wants to be when she’s older. She said a princess. Checks Prince George’s age...he turned 5 in July. My daughter turns 5 on Sunday. 15 years time I might be royalty. Bow down to Wand Windsor, peasants. 

I never really wanted to be anything when I was a child, so at least that worked out.  I was made to feel like shit for it though, my brother knew from an early age that he wanted to be a carpenter, to the point where his GCSE options were chosen around it.  Even in careers class I said I didn't know what I wanted to be and didn't have a passion for a career path.  I was made to feel abnormal and wouldn't amount to anything.  I'm in my 40s now and still haven't a clue what I want to do, but on the plus side every day is a day closer to the merciful release of death.

The world's fattest man (guiness book of records made it seem achievable) a stunt man and a wrestler. I gave two of those three things a bloody good go.

Now I just want to have a good credit score and be able to get a mortgage when I grow up. 

It was always a footballer growing up through primary school. Played on Sundays and always participated with our school team, which helped because we were quite handy. When I was about 13 a few friends of mine started training with a chap who ran his own group of lads, and he worked alongside a few lower-league clubs. After training there for about six months, I really thought I was the dogs bollocks. Properly thought I was class until we went on a trip to Amsterdam together and got absolutely pissed on by a team three years younger than us. They ran circles around us with their technical ability and made us look daft. That started putting the idea into my head that maybe this football lark wasn't quite for me. It didn't help as well when I was training with a few lads who ended up at St Mirren, in Scotland. They were a couple of years older and at that point, they were unreal. Easily the best players I've ever played alongside. Made the rest of us look bobbins. After a year or so he ended up back home because he hadn't made the cut. I think that just properly hammered home the point I was never going to reach the standard. 

Tried to go into sports coaching, but did work experience in Year 11 within a primary school and loved it. Soon as I left high school, the same primary offered me an apprenticeship (primarily because they knew my Mum) and I was there for a year and half. Upon finishing that they gave me a year and a half full-time contract, and then decided to pursue it at University. Think it worked out for the best!

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

An accountant. I was a very dull and depressed child with low aspersions.

Sorry Tommy but that’s reminded me of that ‘Odd Kid’ sketch from Harry Enfield and Chums where you’d see a boy playing with some toys and his Dad would go ‘What are you doing there, son?’ And the kid goes ‘They’re late with the rent so I’m repossessing their furniture. I want to be a bailiff when I grow up.’ Then a shot of the parents holding each other and looking horrified. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

7 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Why not?

It's partly an age issue but also a security one too. I've just booked my wedding for November 2019 and after that it's straight onto kids and that whole new level of life. Seems a bit inappropriate for me to start chasing lofty aspirations at 30 when I really need to put all my energy into raising and caring for the little'uns. At a push I look for a higher-paying job.

Yeah, I mean. There's no reason still you can't give it a crack if you can come up with a workable plan. But if you don't them you can't say you failed, rather you just changed your goals. You're choosing to start a family at a reasonably young age and that's all good but realistically it does make doing that other stuff harder. As long as you're going into that consciously with no regrets then great.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah, I mean. There's no reason still you can't give it a crack if you can come up with a workable plan. But if you don't them you can't say you failed, rather you just changed your goals. You're choosing to start a family at a reasonably young age and that's all good but realistically it does make doing that other stuff harder. As long as you're going into that consciously with no regrets then great.

Try telling my family that, haha! According to them we're starting quite late, but it all falls on deaf ears when I try to argue my side. The outcome is still  the same though and they won't complain about the end result. I do think that any regrets I have right now will melt away the second I have a kid. I appreciate the constructive comments, guys. I'll make something of myself yet.

tenor.gif?itemid=12676279

Archived