Ben Askren - coming to an Octagon near you

wandshogun09

How will Dana White spin this when the media ask him about it?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's tough for Askren, but still quite feasible. Lawler's not fought in almost a year, plus his most recent defeats have been to Woodley and RDA - two guys with good wrestling.

• Paid Members

It's the sort of test Askren is after. Lawler is probably just past his peak, but he's a former champ and you better knock him out because he's got the sort of balls on him Vince McMahon wishes Shane has.

I imagine Dana went with this too because Lawler rarely has a boring fight. Maybe feels even dull Ben can get dragged to something close to excitement.

It's a bit of a Welterweight super fight that's happening 3 years late.

You just know that Dana has to want Askren to lose more than ever, don't you? Especially now that he's essentially made his coin and would probably do just fine if the whole thing collapsed tomorrow.

He'll no doubt be grinning from cheek to chubby cheek if Lawler flattens Askren.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

With this thing between Askren and Dana looking set to rumble on, and the fight with Lawler being as controversial as it has I figured it was time to bump the Ben megathread!

His quote from the MMA Hour was terrific:

“Dana’s disdain for me is so clear and evident,” Askren said. “And it’s so hilarious because he keeps saying, ‘no I like you Ben. I don’t dislike you,’ but then like literally every action, every body language tells a totally different story. He is somehow repulsed by me. He hasn’t liked me forever. He didn’t like me in 2013 when they refused to sign me, he doesn’t like me now. I have offered to sit down with the guy multiple times and be reasonable like two adults should do. He’s not taken me up one time. I genuinely don’t know what his problem is with me.”

Host Luke Thomas then told Askren that White claimed he wasn’t aware that “Funky” wanted to speak with him.

“I grabbed him by the neck!” Askren said. “I said ‘Dana, let’s sit down and talk.’ He said, ‘why?’ I said ‘because I wanna straighten things out.’ He said, ‘you’re here aren’t you?'”

• Paid Members

I actually hope he keeps doing that. Being overly friendly to Dana will probably wind him up more than if he called him a pink-faced wanker or whatever. ‘Dana when are we gonna talk buddy? You never called back. You never answered the 85 voicemails I left. Have I done something to upset you my old pal?’ Every single time he sees him. 

Archived