Ben Askren - coming to an Octagon near you

wandshogun09

How will Dana White spin this when the media ask him about it?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I like Jouban; he seems like a good guy, and his fighting style is always entertaining, so for that reason alone I don't want to see him fighting Askren.

8 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

This is the most anticipated UFC debut in quite some time. Maybe since Rousey debuted in the Octagon in 2013. The hype is confined to within the MMA community, but it makes a change from the jadedness that currently defines the MMA's fanbase.

I have a feeling that hype may die away a little, especially for the casual UFC fan if and when Askren comes out for round one, takes a dude down, controls him on the floor while hitting him now and then, only to repeat in round two.

Personally, I can't wait to see how he gets on, as he's easily one of the best in-cage competitors the sport has seen in my opinion, but I'm not sure that his fighting style will win over the masses.

Plus, I have a feeling that Dana wouldn't mind seeing him being put in his place, so to speak. A bit of a "well, you're in the big leagues now sonny jim, this ain't Bellator/ONE FC" type thing.

Funny thing is, I recall having this very debate on here about Askren years ago and was told by certain posters that he was no big loss to the company if they didn't sign him, and that guys like him, with his style, simply weren't profitable.

Now he's being brought in as the saviour of the company in some people's eyes.

I've always known I'm ahead of the curve, but it is nice when I see folk finally catch up with me now and then.

25 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Have to disagree.You can fight that style if you have the personality and charisma to offset it, and Askren does. Look no further than Chael Sonnen for an example of it being successful.

I was going to say Tito Ortiz. Most of his fights were pretty humdrum, especially when he was at his peak as champion. Yet he was the biggest star in US MMA for a good 4 or 5 years, and a massive star during the UFC's initial boom period as well. 

Times have changed. I don't think Ortiz's shtick would work as well today. In retrospect, his trash talk and antics were pretty lame. We have seen and heard much better since. Tito would probably be perceived a bit like Colby Covington if he emerged today. A lot people would want him to just fuck off. However, Askren is a much slicker talker than Ortiz and far less cringe-worthy. I can see him being in the same role than Sonnen was in during 2010-2012 as MMA's best trash talker. A guy who the fans either love, or love to hate.

Of course, this isn't pro wrestling. He will have to back up his bluster in the cage by netting victories. But I remain reasonably confident that he can do that. 

1 minute ago, ColinBollocks said:

I await Henry Cejudo getting done for noncing, then.

When his "poor lad done well" persona is destroyed by a scandal involving him stealing Rolos and Cider from the local MexicanMart just remember where you heard it first. 

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, David said:

Funny thing is, I recall having this very debate on here about Askren years ago and was told by certain posters that he was no big loss to the company if they didn't sign him, and that guys like him, with his style, simply weren't profitable.

Now he's being brought in as the saviour of the company in some people's eyes.

I've always known I'm ahead of the curve, but it is nice when I see folk finally catch up with me now and then.

Dave knows.

• Paid Members

I heard this proposed on the A Side live chat on MMA fighting. With the recent trade of Askren and DJ, what trades could you come up with that both companies would actually see as good business for them, with a potential to actually work out were it proposed? Be it between Bellator/One/UFC/PFL/KSW/RIZIN etc. 

There was one particular one Dos Santos/Overeem for Lima/Koreskov. Bellator bolster their HW division and UFC add fighters to the mix at their deepest area where, if we believe the rumours, they are trying to add an extra division. UFC get rid of two big earners that don't really drive PPV business but Bellator get two fighters who would certainly be competitive and have the potential to draw ratings on Paramount. 

It's interesting to think about, after seeing one of these things actually come through. 

Brett Okamoto‏@bokamotoESPN

Breaking: Ben Askren vs. Robbie Lawler targeted for UFC 233 on Jan. 26 in Anaheim, per Dana White. Contracts are not signed yet from what I'm told, but UFC is working on getting it finalized. Story up soon on @ESPN.

Nice.

• Paid Members

Love that fight. It was one of the ones I wanted. Lawler has just enough defensive wrestling that he might be able to do something and on the feet obviously he’s an animal. At this point I expect Askren probably wins but it’s a more interesting fight than many they could’ve made. 

Archived