Ben Askren - coming to an Octagon near you

wandshogun09

How will Dana White spin this when the media ask him about it?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, boyfriend said:

What are people's thoughts - does he go on a tear or will he be like Albert in Japan where we hear he's world class only to find out he's a complete flop?

He's top five for sure. Top three, maybe. I'm not so sure this opportunity hasn't come along five years or so too late.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, boyfriend said:

What are people's thoughts - does he go on a tear or will he be like Albert in Japan where we hear he's world class only to find out he's a complete flop?

its possible, his One Championship competition was questionable because its hard to judge those fighters against ahigh UFC standard, Askrens best wins came in Bellator when he dominated guys like Douglas Lima and Andrey Koreshkov, those wins were 5/6 years ago though, the jury's out until it happens.

• Paid Members

The last thing McGregor needs in his life coming off getting grappled into oblivion by Khabib...is to now get grappled into oblivion by Ben Askren. If McGregor and Nate Diaz have any sense they’ll leave that alone and fight each other again instead. There’s no way Conor or Nate would see that as an appealing fight. Askren has a terrible style for both of them and he also has zero profile yet in the UFC. It’s all risk for little reward. Even less chance of Nick Diaz taking the fight. No way he comes back after nearly 4 years of inactivity to get chucked around by Askren for his basic money. There’s been points over the last few years when he was offered, or at the very least linked to fights with Michael Bisping and Robbie Lawler when both were champions. And you know if he’d have expressed any serious interest in a fight with McGregor himself, the UFC would’ve been all over it. If he didn’t come back for those kind of fights, we can rule him out of the Ben Askren convo.

I’d like to see Askren against maybe the Condit vs Chiesa winner first. Or the Perry vs Cowboy winner. 

McGregor was eating 2 breakfasts etc a day and still came in at 168 in both his Welterweight fights, there is no chance he's fighting a legit welterweight at 170, maybe if the guy tries to kill himself and get down to a catchweight somewhere, fuck people are talking about a fight with Anderson Silva, which is ridiculous, even at 175 and 42, Anderson Silva is far too big for Conor a guy who was fighting at 145 what 3 years ago? Nate is also much lighter, even Khabib, there's a reason he isn't on a 12 fight win streak at Welterweight and he's probably a little too small, maybe if it was at 165 for a new belt but other than that, what would be the point? Askren competed at the weight class above Woodley in college, so if it was, I would guess Woodley might prefer to drop to 165 than his mate Askren but who knows.

Dana said it's a top 5 WW they will get him a fight with, who knows Till said he was moving up but he might stay longer and Woodley was more dangerous on the feet, same with Thompson (Askren fighting Wonderboy wouldn't work if he wants to be liked and he might be hard to get down) they should never let Damian Maia fight a wrestler again, it jusrs turns to a boring on the cage stall fest or a terrible kickboxing match.

Colby if he wasn't going to fight Woodley as Askren would murder him and his terrible trash talk, who knows in wrestling at this stage, Colby is in great shape and could keep it standing and that would be another terrible kickboxing match. Jorge Masdival is probably someone you could do

• Paid Members

What about Robbie Lawler? That’s a name I haven’t seen thrown around yet for Askren. I know Lawler isn’t where he was a few years ago but he’s still a name, a way bigger name than anyone Askren’s beat so far. He was the UFC champion recent enough that is still fairly fresh in the memory. And it’s going to be difficult to have a shit fight against Lawler so if Askren wins that it’ll be a big name win right out the gate, and it’ll likely be very watchable. I know everyone wants some big grudge match with a load of trash talking in the build up and Lawler won’t provide that but there’ll be time for that down the road. 

Another reason I like the Lawler fight is it’s a fight that you can definitely see Askren winning but it’s also a real legitimate test. Lawler has the punching power plus he’s takedownable (you won’t find that in Oxford’s) but his takedown defence is just good enough to make it interesting. It’s not like he’s Dan Hardy. Lawler showed against Hendricks and Ellenberger that if you want to take him down he’s going to make you earn it. Obviously I don’t doubt that Askren takes him down but there’s enough about Lawler’s overall box of tricks that makes it a fight worth seeing IMO. 

Oh I realise how unclear my post was! I was tryna ask ya'll to predict him versus the 8 lads above in his tweets. 

I'll say;

VS Conor - BEATS HIM

VS Khabib - LOSES

VS Nate - BEATS HIM

VS Nick - BEATS HIM

VS Perry - BEATS HIM

VS GSP - LOSES

VS Till - Hmmmm

VS Masvidal - BEATS HIM

Do love the Robbie shout mind!

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

What about Robbie Lawler?

What kind of rude hate crime is this shit? Poor Robbie.

As tough a fight as it will be, I'd love to see Askren v RDA. If Askren wins that then he legit has a shout for the title.

Also, Ben comes across as a star again:

• Paid Members

He was on the MMA Hour with Luke Thomas as well;

And...

ePqE73.jpg

Has there actually been any kind of official announcement from the UFC yet? Guessing Dana will be talking about it a fair bit this week at the 230 pressers and stuff. Really, I think they should fly Askren out to New York, sit him cageside at MSG and make an announcement on the show. Make a big deal out of it. Why not? 

Dana told TMZ he's getting a top 5 WW. I would probably extend that to top 10, certain matches they probably want to avoid are probably Maia & Wonderboy. Colby has Woodley most likely. Robbie Lawler, Till & the RDA-Usman winner could be decent, Jorge Masdival is a decent name. They probably don't want him near Perry as he's a fan favorite and the fight he would just be taken down, Condit  was a good shout, Alan Joubain has been talking back to him, he's not elite but a good fighter he can start his UFC career in. None of the "money" fighters have nothing to gain fighting him, GSP will if he gets a good win or two I believe, maybe Khabib in a fight or two but the rest are too small or havent fought in years and/or don't like fighting boring wrestlers.

I like Condit and Cerrone as potential opponents. However, I am not surprised that Dana is considering striking while the iron is hot and matching him with a higher ranked opponent . This is the most anticipated UFC debut in quite some time. Maybe since Rousey debuted in the Octagon in 2013. The hype is confined to within the MMA community, but it makes a change from the jadedness that currently defines the MMA fanbase. I kept tabs on Saturday's card on Twitter, and even the most committed journos were struggling to muster any enthusiasm for the show. 

Thus I wouldn't be surprised if Till gets the nod to fight Askren, provided he wants to fight at 170lbs again. RDA is indeed another option if he beats Usman. 

Archived