Ben Askren - coming to an Octagon near you

wandshogun09

How will Dana White spin this when the media ask him about it?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

IxgSYQ.png

OK then. Guessing everyone knows now that Ben Askren is finally coming to the UFC. It’s kind of big news and deserves its own thread. This has been a long time coming and should’ve really happened in around 2013/14. Better late than never. 

Here’s Askren on Joe Rogan’s podcast a few months ago to explain the whole thing;

Anyway, long story short it’s finally happening. The UFC are trading Demetrious Johnson for ONE’s Funky Ben. 

He hasn’t wasted any time going on the windup. And he’s already had a few bites on Twitter. 

MdfNps.jpg

LYiBDo.jpg

YxPEHv.jpg

ekplgY.jpg

R4AOoZ.jpg

3R4mS0.jpg

gLRzb8.jpg

kUBCIX.jpg

Discuss. Who do you want to see him fight first? Does a 165lbs weight class interest you? How cringey is Jorge Masvidal’s shit talking? How confused is Dana’s boner right now? 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woodley is never fighting Askren as they are team mates going back to college.  GSP & McGregor are more likely to fight him than either of the Diaz brothers, they don't want to fight guys who will take them down and smother them and have been vocal about it for over 10 years. Tony deserves his shot at the Lightweight belt, he's on a 12 fight win streak in the UFC same number as Khabib, Askren is boring but can talk but I doubt many people even know who he even fought in One. Tony is quite weird but you can't deny the guy the chance of a fight years in the making both on massive win streaks in the UFC most stacked division. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I’d been thinking about Askren vs Woodley along with all the other potential fights and completely forgot that Woodley is a Roufus guy. He’s been there for a while as well I don’t know why I always forget. 

And yeah I really want to see Khabib vs Ferguson. I can’t see them going straight to Khabib vs Askren anyway so hopefully we get the Ferguson fight before that and Askren can fight someone else. Khabib vs Askren is one for down the road. 

The UFC are in dire need of stars. Rousey is gone for good. Conor just got whacked and there is no firm guarantee that he will be back. Jones is back, but he's liable to fuck up again. The Diaz brothers are a nightmare to deal with. DC is claiming he will retire next year. Who else is there? Khabib will no doubt attract some decent attention for his next fight and I guess Lesnar is good for a few more outings. Maybe GSP will fight again as well. But that's about it. Of course, the UFC will continue to put out some of their best stuff independent of massive PPV numbers, enhanced revenue, etc. They have Ferguson, Max, Romero, and many other exciting and exceptional fighters under contract. But obviously Dana will not see it that way. He wants to line his pockets further. 

Thus I think Dana swallowed his pride when he made the trade. Askren is an interesting character who might just catch on if he is successful enough. He's different enough to where he stands out from the PoundLand McGregors we have talked about previously on this forum. He's a bit of a knob, but not in a "fuck off and die" way like Covington or Johny Hendricks. He's more Sonnen circa 2010 in that regard. 

Anyway, if I had my way he would fight Nate Diaz first. It would be a fun build-up and potentially serve as a good showcase for Askren's ability. However, as stated above, I doubt Nate will want to play ball with Askren. But really, there are quite a few decent fights for him out there. And he's already ruffling some feathers. 

Count me in on the Funky Ben bandwagon. 

• Paid Members

If I was the Funky One, I'd be spending the next few months poking Khabib. We now know that Khabib can be pretty badly rattled should you go all in with the "no respect, no respect at all" patter. If Khabib wants the Askren fight badly, then the UFC may just go there - it's not like Tony is anything close to a draw.

You can imagine Dana being twisted and going there quick because he'd love to see his undefeated monster smash Askren so he can call him "overrated".

Some of those tweets are gold.

• Paid Members

What i love about Askren is that he's coming in headline ready and you can sense the anticipation for it. There's not many fighters out there left that could enter the UFC for the first and go straight into a PPV headline co-headline slot, the only other may be Michael Chandler but i dont feel hes on the same level as Askren. Hopefully more stars develop in future to do the same. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think it was a Polish or Russian one.  I remember seeing a 5 on 5 one and as soon as one was out, it got horrible as the numbers game made it really difficult to watch.

Yeah, there was something at the back of my mind saying it was an Eastern European one, certainly. Never saw the match, but it makes sense that it'd be an absolute clusterfuck and a failure. No way even two on one for five seconds like in a pro-wrestling match could work; that's more than enough time for two guys to beat the shit out of one.

Archived