Shit sports punditry and commentary

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Typical dull point scoring exchange from a bunch of cunts really. Shearer looks like a fucking bellend, as always, nodding his head because he physically can't control himself. If they were having this discussion in a pub you get the sense that he'd have grabbed him by the lapels. I'm not defending Jenas there either. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I used to get some perverse kick from when the BBC would send  Alan Green to shit all over what they thought would be the weakest fixture of the day on 5 live once they didn't have Stuart Hall on the books. He was hilarious on 606 as well whenever people called him out.

Robbie Savage is constantly playing the heel, and I can't help laughing my arse off when people fall for his obvious bait hook, line and sinker.

Sutton is diabolical. I don't even think he's really got the voice for broadcasting and sounds so self important.

I can't even watch ITV's football coverage. I'd rather try and pause the radio coverage  to allow the tv to catch up. I stayed up until goodness knows what time for  Japan Vs  Ivory Coast  during the 2014 world cup and it was ridiculous. The coverage started as the countries were lining up for the national anthems, there was a single commentator who spent much of  the match talking  about the rest of the world cup and they rolled credits pretty much as  soon as the final whistle blew. It was the greatest case of  "We're obligated to show this match, so here it is" I ever saw.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

Just noticed on the Spurs v City game (on now) that they have the guy who does the championship games on the commentary which is odd for such a big game unless someone else fell ill and he was the next best they could get at short notice?

It's Andy Hinchcliffe. He's an England international who spent almost his entire career in the top flight. Not sure what makes him less worthy than anyone else.

• Paid Members

Andy Hinchcliffe was a really good player as well. Won the FA Cup with Everton, was in Hoddle's first England starting 11. Just because you do Championship games usually, doesnt mean this is a developmental league and your brains turn to mush seeing how slick the passing is in a City game.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Briefcase said:

Just noticed on the Spurs v City game (on now) that they have the guy who does the championship games on the commentary which is odd for such a big game unless someone else fell ill and he was the next best they could get at short notice?

At this point I think I do have to genuinely ask if Briefcase is doing this on purpose or if he has everyone blocked and can't see everyone despairing over his every post, assuming he's always right in his one man echo chamber.

13 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

It's Andy Hinchcliffe. He's an England international who spent almost his entire career in the top flight. Not sure what makes him less worthy than anyone else.

To be fair I never said he was less worthy just that he rarely does Premier League games let alone one of the top billed ones. Regardless of how his football career was and the level he played at that doesn't mean to say that he has to commentate on the top games or even the lower ones. Personally I think his style is better suited to the championship. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

To be fair I never said he was less worthy just that he rarely does Premier League games let alone one of the top billed ones. Regardless of how his football career was and the level he played at that doesn't mean to say that he has to commentate on the top games or even the lower ones. Personally I think his style is better suited to the championship. 

Given Neville and Carragher are usually the double act in the studio for MNF, who should be allowed to do it? Alan Smith?

21 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Why?

Just think his style is better suited to the championship, also his knowledge is good (as he practically always does the championship games) and he seems to talk a lot more than he did last night. Maybe thats because the commentary style works different in the championship?

16 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Given Neville and Carragher are usually the double act in the studio for MNF, who should be allowed to do it? Alan Smith?

Usually its any one of Smith, Neville, Carragher (double duty if the Saturday/Sunday games or if another guest is in the studio). I have never heard Hinchcliff on the games, not the big billed games anyway. 

This thread is about opinions and personally I didn't think Hinchcliffe came across well last night on the game, whether thats because when you hear his voice you think 'Championship' or because he has better knowledge of the championship as he is always doing them games I'm not sure.

The fact that nobody (including myself) has even mentioned him in this thread until now probably tells its own story in that we are used to him on the championship games but he isn't standout in a really good or bad way.

• Paid Members

Big Ron used to be excellent on ITV. Especially with Brian Moore. Brian was such a pro, he kept Ron's outbursts of prejudice to a minimum and covered for him when he'd go a bit mad. I remember a documentary years ago when they were commentating on a Nigeria game in 1990 and Ron went something like "they got no brain those Nigerians." And quick as a flash, B-Mour said "that's a footballing brain Ron?" to which Atkinson shit himself and said that is what he meant. That 2004 incident wouldnt have happened on Brian Moore's watch.

Makes you wonder, did Ron kill his own career or was he pretty much on the way out anyway, like Greavsey and the like before him? Ron got regular work on TalkSport and Sky One doing all kinds when he got the sack from ITV. Its the same with Keys and Gray. Can you really imagine those two pillocks on Sky now?

Brian Moore was king. Barry Davis was also great in his prime. They just had great voices. My struggle now is the new lot have awful voices. As someone mentioned Guy Mowbary loves himself, he sounds like he's pleasuring himself whilst listening to himself. He sounds so bloody smug. I still like Tyler because he has that old school voice, though he's clearly not up to his own previous high standards.

In terms of pundits. Rio Ferdinand is pretty good and fair all round. Seems to just love watching good games. Neville is brilliant and I do like Souness as well (bar the Pogba obsession)

On 10/25/2018 at 6:18 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Thankfully, Jim Watt has called it a day. I guess the tragedies he had in his personal life had an impact on his commentary but he was a dour fucker.

That dour image from the commentary was a far cry from real life...... absolutely zero ego and a thoroughly nice bloke

I used to see him out and about all the time at the local shops but he has turned into a recluse now and hardly leaves the house; quite understandable i suppose given what happened. Nobody should have to bury their own child, let alone both of them. Horrible..

Archived