Shit sports punditry and commentary

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Every fucking football commentator uses "superlatives" as a synonym for "adjectives." A footballer is brilliant, "you run out of superlatives." They quite obviously don't know what it means.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tydlesley is the one. Specifically the accents he puts on when doing European games. Accentuating every syllable or vowel - usually the I in Messi or Xavi or trying to put a stupid Spanish accent on. If he was commenting on the cricket, would he put an Indian accent when pronouncing Tendulkar or Dravid. No, the dick.

He also has a bad habit of saying a players full name for no reason when he got excited. "Neville plays it to Ferdinand. Ferdinand to Carrick. Carrick finds Paul Scholes who squares it to WAYNE ROONEY". 

Also anyone who says "For me" before starting a sentence.

Or Gary Lineker on Twitter.

--

Also, if were allowing other sports then Nick Knight is a twat with an odd top lip. Flintoff is a wanker. But Rob Key and Michael Holding a fantastic.

In terms of Scottish pundits, Craig Burley springs to mind, he's pretty terrible. I'm sure others who have paid more attention might be able to back that up.

There seemed to be polarising views of the team of Jon Champion and Ally McCoist at the World Cup, I quite enjoyed their nonsense. Anyone else?

Just now, Mr.Showtime said:

In terms of Scottish pundits, Craig Burley springs to mind, he's pretty terrible. I'm sure others who have paid more attention might be able to back that up.

There seemed to be polarising views of the team of Jon Champion and Ally McCoist at the World Cup, I quite enjoyed their nonsense. Anyone else?

At the very least, they sounded like they actually enjoyed being there, doing something millions of us can only dream of. Compared to the absolutely miserable bastards on the BBC who it seemed a chore for.

• Paid Members

I absolutely loathe those pundits who ignore the necessity of giving 'expert opinion's on the game and instead result in giving absurdly blatant 'controversial' opinions so they might get a small headline in a paper or a mention and sound bite on Talksport.

Chris Sutton is the absolute worst at this, each and every week he'll come up with some bullshit opinion to troll rather than just giving honest opinion on the game.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Jim Watt was incredibly dour, but amazingly Carl Froch is worse. His whole commentary style is to praise whichever of the fighters is promoted by Eddie Hearn and slaughter the other one no matter what is going on in the fight. 

The first name that came to mind was Froch. He very nearly ruins every big fight he's calling because his comments usually always exist in a different reality from the action you're seeing. Mainly because he has his agendas (a lot of the time self-serving and wrapped in his own ego) and refuses to deviate from what he wants to happen. His comments during the last Joshua fight were laughably bad. Joe Rogan used to be terrible for this sort of thing too, a few years ago, but at least is self-aware enough to point out he was a little off with his commentary during the fight, these days - the Khabib/Iaquinta fight being a recent-ish example.

You know Froch reckons he's the best commentator in the game too. The twit.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr.Showtime said:

I liked them. If the conversational style is what we have to put up with now, they were at least good at it. Champion is a good commentator anyway and McCoist is a good character. I always liked him and John Parrott on QOS the last time it was worth watching. Agree with @SuperBacon that they sounded like they were enjoying being there. Now, that is the biggest crime in football commentary. You are getting well paid for doing a job most would love to be able to do so to do it with the distain of a Lawrenson, Burley or Alan Green is unforgivable.

On Scottish pundits, Davie Provan is the low benchmark. Not only does he seemingly start every comment with "I don't know who it was but..." but he outright refuses to ever accept that he's wrong. "He was miles offside" *Replay shows onside* "As you can see, he was miles offside". He's either blind or stupid.

To add to @Gus Mears little bit of positivity, I'd add that I also like Nevin a lot. Phil Neville isn't bad, if also very dull. Kilbane is unoffensive. Shearer can be good when he starts ranting. Commentary wise, I find most of theirs, radio particularly, to be amongst the best. Alan Green is a miserable bastard and Guy Mowbray loves himself too much but they rest are good.

ITV - Keane who is great, Dixon who is fine and Champion and McCoist. Glenn Hoddle is someone I can like and dislike in the same sentence. He's more interesting as a studio pundit I find. As a co-commentator, he just states the obvious. Hoddle is also on BT who have a right bunch of muppets. Scholes is OK when he starts ranting about United but otherwise, I've no time for any of theirs.

SKY - Neville is good. Tyler is still going strong. Carragher is decent in the studio. Don Goodman isn't bad on Championship games.

Some dreadful names on that Soccer Saturday panel. The B squad they drag out like your Neil Mellor's are even worse. Don't begrudge these fellas earning a living but the ability to string two words together is a prerequisite, surely?

I'm not a fan of Champion or McCoist. This "cult status" they apparently had at the World Cup was baffling to me. They were a bit "different" to the standard fayre served these days, but it was still dreck. My favourite description of Champion comes from Cameron Carter in an old WSC:

Cham­pion’s commentary is the footballing equivalent of the chap next to you on a long train journey vocalising his investigation of the Times crossword.

Archived