Shit sports punditry and commentary

Gus Mears

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Worse than any pundit or commentator is David Jones - the host on sky sports. He asks stupid questions with the most obvious answers all the time. I know it’s to keep the show flowing etc, but ask them something to think about, especially after the match is finished. “What do Man City have to do today to beat Cardiff?” Not a lot really, mate. “How good is Aguero, Graeme?”

He got really excited about Noel Gallagher coming on and was all over him to near sickening levels. He also asked Rooney the stupidest questions when they had him on doing punditry and talking about his career after the game.  

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Worse than any pundit or commentator is David Jones - the host on sky sports. He asks stupid questions with the most obvious answers all the time. I know it’s to keep the show flowing etc, but ask them something to think about, especially after the match is finished. “What do Man City have to do today to beat Cardiff?” Not a lot really, mate. “How good is Aguero, Graeme?”

To be fair, that's him giving the expert the opportunity to speak. Far worse is someone like that Shreeves cunt who asks questions with a statement so he can get his own angle across.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

I suppose this is as good a place to ask...

When the commentators plug the upcoming games or even when the team line ups appear on the screen for the next game it never happens as a goal is about to happen, now I know they purposely try and do this when there is a minimal risk of anything exciting happening (e.g. during a goal kick or injury) but they also do it when the ball is in play...so is it by luck nothing significant happens or are they 30 seconds behind on the feed so have time to edit it out if anything were to happen? With the hundreds & thousands of games you would have thought that by now Martin Tyler would be plugging every upcoming game and in that moment a goal would have been scored but sometimes the ball is in play for a good minute or so and they will talk about the upcoming games as if they know nothing will happen...unless its a taped voiceover? 

I know its probably such a minor thing in the context of the topic.

edit. I have seen the Rafa 'magic' clip but I am talking more the commentary than the visuals. 

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Indeed it should. Partisan passionate commentary is wonderful.  Not the forced shit from fanzone or YouTube fans more in love with themselves than the team. I wish they all can't spake.

To be fair, Fanzone used to be OK when it first came about. I loved the Fulham fan (Charlie?) banging on about Papa Boupa Diop, the wardrobe, and the Spurs fan, Richard Cracknell is a top, top, top guy who I've met a few times. And it gave us this: Lovejoy being absolutely mugged off

• Paid Members

Brian Moore will always be the standard for me. God, he was so good. He could actually read the game as well. He seemed to see what was coming before it happened. Neville and Carragher I really like. Danny Higginbotham is decent. He's never going to rock the boat, but he's good to listen to. Scholes is great, too. He just sits there and occassionally tells it like it is, if he feels like it.

As far as the worst, anyone who is on BBC usually. They seem to only employ people who are dull as fuck. Danny Murphy, Jermaine Jenus, Martin Keown, Pip Neville. Redknapp and Souness are rotten. Richard Keys does BeIN Sport these days, and he's amazingly crap. Andy Gray's still alright, but Keys seems like the type of bloke who'd shag his daughters friend after finding out his wife has cancer. Clueless arsehole ponce.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

This is how sports commentary should be.

He's good. But he's no Effin Eddie, whose commentary on the Tipperary Under 21 Gaelic Football final in 1992 is the stuff of Irish legend.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

To be fair, that's him giving the expert the opportunity to speak. Far worse is someone like that Shreeves cunt who asks questions with a statement so he can get his own angle across.

Spot on with Shreeves, what a detestable prick he is. He looks like Ricky Gervais when he was playing the lead character in When The Whistle Blows on Extras, especially when he does the weird 'ooohhh' face. Hate him. He gives his opinion far too often that he should given his role and is a snide wanker when interviewing.

1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

Spot on with Shreeves, what a detestable prick he is. He looks like Ricky Gervais when he was playing the lead character in When The Whistle Blows on Extras, especially when he does the weird 'ooohhh' face. Hate him. He gives his opinion far too often that he should given his role and is a snide wanker when interviewing.

Turning a modern Chelsea player who isn't Frank Lampard face is quite an achievement, but Shreeves managed it when he asked Ivanovic if he was aware that he would miss the Champions League final after being booked during their win at Barcelona.

If there's a better example of bellendry in a post-match interview I'd love to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV8a58PNnfw

• Paid Members

Alan Smith is a massive cunt. Whenever Spurs concede a goal he has a little chuckle before he starts his sentence with "Well, there you go". And he pronounces it "should of." Like McManaman, his club bias always shows.

Jonathan Pearce was the worst back when he was on 5 and nobody told him referring to Gazza AS Gazza when you're a professional commentator makes you sound like a massive penis, much the way McManaman, Savage and others refer to "Stevie G" or their other great mates by nicknames today. If anyone still has their tape of The Road To France * the footage from 5's coverage of the Poland away qualifier is on there and Pearce nearly makes my ears bleed screaming "SHEARERRRRRRRRRR!!!!"

Martin Keown, while not the most annoying character, that's McManaman, still stuns me in his ability to get things breathtakingly wrong with such consistency.

McManaman is the worst. Between the matey names, accent and over the top incredulity at what he's watching, my finger gets itchy over the mute button every time I'm enduring him.

Savage is an annoying populist twat who shares plenty of McManaman's worst traits and also throws a strop during games. "How can you say that, Fletch?? He's a million miles onside!!"

McManaman is the worst.

* I still have my copy. Even though some games feature McManaman.

Archived