UFC on FOX: Lee vs Iaquinta 2 - Dec 15

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

A brilliant send offĀ for the big FOX era.

Raging Al is one of the most likeable characters in the sport - anyone that was a regular listener of the Helwani MMA Hour will know this. As Supremo pointed out, it's mad that he's now got as good a shout as anyone for the title. I mean, he was pretty much out of the sport a couple of years ago because he felt the UFC was fucking him so bad. Now here he is derailing one of their heavily pushed pretty fighters.Ā I'd love Al v Nate in the future.
I thought Al clearly won the fight. Lee did get a couple of takedowns, but could not really do much with Al's defence being so sound. I like Lee too, but it's always funny when fighters are giving it the big 'in and end up looking like tits.

Hopefully Dana gave Hooker a bit extra for his performance out there. Barboza gave him absolute hell, but he was still coming forward hoping to tire Barboza - there were a couple of times that happened too. Body shotsĀ never fail to make me wince and it was quite a night for them (yo, Canelo), my ribs are sore after watching all that.

Nice to see DC back and elevating Paul "Fo Sho" Felder.

• Paid Members

So glad Raging Al won. Like I said, IĀ donā€™t hate Lee, heā€™s grown on me since the Ferguson fight and especially since the Rogan podcast. But he was so cocky coming into this one. I prefer Iaquinta anyway but Leeā€™s overconfidence made the result all the sweeter. Just watch Leeā€™s entrance. Thatā€™s a man who thinks heā€™s got the win in the bag. He always does his silly dancing on his walkouts but this was next level. Thereā€™s confidence, then thereā€™s arrogance. And I think Lee swung a bit too far to the latter for this one. Thatā€™s not the only reason he lost, of course. The mainĀ reason is that Iaquinta is a legit operator. But it canā€™t have helped and unfortunately I think itā€™s somethingĀ that might hold Lee back in the future. He seems to meĀ like one of those guys whoā€™s always going to be a victim of hisĀ own self confidence. Heā€™ll probably be fired up now and come backĀ better from this. But unless he completely overhaulsĀ his attitude, after a couple of wins heā€™ll probably thinkĀ heā€™s invincible again and get another rude awakening. Maybe itā€™s bollocks and Alā€™s just got his number but I really think thereā€™s something to it. I mentioned it going in and the signs were there throughout the buildup. He was talking like this was easy work, looking past Al to fights with Khabib and whoever and dismissing a beast like Poirier as if heā€™s beneath him. In a division like lightweight, thereā€™s no room atĀ the top for that. Youā€™ll go so far but I think youā€™re putting a ceiling on your potential if you think youā€™re aboveĀ getting humbled. You canā€™t dismiss anyone in that 155 shark tank.Ā 

Whatever, chuffed for Iaquinta. Gaethje is already angling for the fight. They were actually signed to fight in August but Al pulled out and Gaethje ended up fighting Vick. Iā€™d love to see that fight rebooked. If not, Iaquinta vs Nate or Poirier would do nicely.Ā 

Barboza vs Hooker was brutal viewing. Hooker is insanely tough but you really donā€™t need too many beatings like that in your life. It was hard to watch at points and seeing the footage of Hooker hobblingĀ out of the cage still grimacing and wincing in pain really hammered home justĀ how hard Barboza must hit. I really had my doubtsĀ that Barboza would bounceĀ back like this. This was always going to be a better style matchup for him than his last couple but he took really bad, drawn out beatings from Khabib and Lee. The kind that can turnĀ a good fighter into a spent force. Good to see Barboza looking so sharp still. But Christ, poor DanĀ Hooker.Ā 

Charles Oliveira pissing through Jim Miller was mildly surprising. But Miller has seen better days. Thatā€™s them 1-1 now, both subbing each other quick.Ā 

Saw a few clips of my ā€˜one to watchā€™ just now. Juan Adams vs Chris De La Rocha. As expected, looked like a fun, if sloppy, heavyweight brawl. Adams could have something if he improves his conditioning. Heā€™s young and raw but heā€™s huge, aggressive and with more experience there might beĀ some potential there. Probably never be title contenderĀ material but Iā€™m looking forward to seeing more of him.Ā 

• Paid Members

Iaquinta really fought a great fight. It came down to round five in the end and he went out there and calmly pieced Kevin Lee apart. 48-47 Al was the right call in my book. I'm happy to see these two fight whoever next as I would think whoever they come up against will be exciting. I would like to see Justin Gaethje against Kevin Lee, and Iaquinta Vs Poirier/Ferguson/Barboza. Lee will have to rebuild a little after that loss, but there seem to be less people unbooked in the lower half of the division than the championship contenders (as they are all twirling their thumbs waiting on Khabib and Conor).Ā 

What a performance by both Barboza and Dan Hooker. Hooker showing the toughness of pure steel and Barboza with a striking masterclass. I have no idea how Hooker took those shots for as long as he did.Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

Al was on Helwani's show last night and I thought he did a tremendous job breaking down the flawĀ of Lee. Al kept saying "same old Al" in a positive way, after Lee used it to put him down, because the "same old Al" is mentally stronger than Lee, so despite Lee being a more complete fighter now than their first fight he was still the "same old Kevin Lee". Al said he knew he could mentally break him and he did once Lee realised Al's defence was so good on the ground.

Hilariously, Al roasted his walk out a bit too. Al said he saw that and all it did was convince him he was never losing to Lee, because while Lee is out there doing a shit Too Cold Scorpio, Al was going through training drills game plans in his head.

• Paid Members

Yeah that was good stuff. Here it is for anyone who didnā€™t catch it;

At a time when so many are trying to be a poor manā€™sĀ Conor McGregor, talking bollocks, trying to be flashĀ and wearing silly outfits, itā€™s refreshing to have a guy like Raging Al who can talk shit without putting on a gimmick. Heā€™s entertaining just being himself and you donā€™t get any sense that thereā€™s anything fake or manufactured about it. Iā€™m so glad heā€™s seemingly rediscovered his love for MMA. There was a time there a couple of years ago, and he alluded to it with Ariel, where he just seemed really fucked off and disillusioned with it all. He was ranting about Dana, when he wasĀ tweeting he always seemed angry and he just seemed like heā€™d had enough and was gearing up to just sell houses full time. I donā€™t know what changed but heā€™s definitely got the bugĀ again. Maybe it was him getting that last minute main event slot against Khabib thatā€™s rejuvenated him. It wasnā€™t supposedĀ to happen. If the UFC had their way theyā€™d probably not have given him an opportunityĀ like that any time soon but they were shit out of luck and didnā€™t have many other options. I donā€™t think taking short notice fights is always good. Fans shit on fighters when they turn them down but theyā€™re not always the right move. ButĀ I think Al stepping up was good for him, of course it was a huge opportunity and he had way more to gain than he had to lose. ItĀ seems that taste of the top level hasĀ given him that extra motivation to push on with his career. And also,Ā him stepping up the way he did has probablyĀ gone some way to mending fences with UFC management. All that timeĀ with no bonuses and no headline fights. Then he steps in and fights Khabib and in his very next fight heā€™s main event and gets a bonus. He hasnā€™t always done himself favours with being so outspoken but in a way itā€™s admirable and itā€™s good to see things are going on the right track for him now.Ā 

And I really like this thing thatā€™s bubbling up betweenĀ him and McGregor. It started with McGregor matter of factly shitting on Al while he wasĀ dismissing Khabibā€™s win with the ā€˜you beat a real estate agentā€™ line. That clearly never went unnoticed by Iaquinta. Also, itā€™s a cool little backstory that Al ended up fighting Khabib that same week Conor got into a fight with a bus. I want to see McGregor vs Iaquinta. I think the fight would be good and the buildup even better.Ā I get the feeling Matt Serra doesnā€™t like McGregor either. Iā€™d love to see how that dynamic would play out with Serra and Longo vs McGregor, let alone Iaquinta!Ā 

It probably wonā€™t happen but if we get Khabib vs Ferguson andĀ McGregor vs Iaquinta Iā€™ll be very happy. Even happier if they manage to get that Poirier vs Diaz fight rebooked as well. And maybe Gaethje vs Cerrone if Cerrone gets by Hernandez. The lightweight division is ace.Ā 

• Paid Members

That's a fucking year away Egg! The pair of them better fight a warm body at some point before then, if they can find their way out of the gates of the distillery/estate agents.Ā 

• Paid Members

I've obviously missed something - why would that be a year away?

Either way, McGregor vs. Iaquinta would be awesome, both in terms of build-up and the fight.

15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I've obviously missed something - why would that be a year away?

Either way, McGregor vs. Iaquinta would be awesome, both in terms of build-up and the fight.

Presumably to do with the fact that MSG is seemingly now reserved for their big November show.

Really good main event. Didn't expect Lee's wrestling to have such little impact as it did, especially after seeing how he completely fucked Barboza up with it. Lightweight division is so mad at the moment, there's so many great fights ready to be made.

If I'm matchmaking, I'm going for something like: Khabib vs Ferguson, McGregor vs Poirer, Pettis vs Gaethje, Iaquinta vs Diaz, Barboza vs Vick and Lee vs the winner of Cerrone/Hernandez. Crazily stacked.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I've obviouslyļ»æ missed something - why would that be a year away?

Like Adam said there, they have run MSG in November three years on the bounce now.Ā 

2 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

I'mļ»æ ļ»æmatchmaking, I'm going for something like: Khabib vs Ferguson, McGregorļ»æļ»æļ»æ vs Poirer, Pettis vs Gaethje, Iaquinta vs Diaz, Barboza vs Vick andļ»æ Lee ļ»ævs the ļ»æwinner of Cerrone/Hernandez. Crazily ļ»æļ»æļ»æstacked.ļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ

An incredible list of talent throughout the division, it really is. There's not a fight they could make that I wouldn't be interested in. Sure some I may prefer more than others, or might make slightly more sense etc but the whole top 15 - and beyond that no doubt as well - are killers, all of whom I'd be excited about watching fight each other, including the potential re-matches as well.Ā 

As long as we get Khabib Vs Tony whilst both are still in their prime. That damn well has to happen.Ā 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

Presumably to do with the fact that MSG is seemingly now reserved for their big November show.

Ā 

4 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Like Adam said there, they have run MSG in November three years on the bounce now.Ā 

Thanks, guys. Honestly didn't know that, was a genuine question. Just realised it might have come across a bit snarky.

4 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Ā 

Ā 

Archived