Small things you appreciate

Gus Mears

Petrichor - The smell of the world after the first rain in a while

The train one absolutely, and to add, getting on a train to find an empty table set, able to sit without feeling like a sardine.

The mythological solid chocolate KitKat

As an ex-retail grunt, that rare occasion someone actually doesn't act like a self-entitled cunt

Frying the perfect egg without overcooking or breaking the yolk

The sound that only metal incased biro pens seems to make when someone is jotting something down. Not quite a click but as close to that sound as I can explain. 

Also my wife and I agreed that you often get a funny feeling in your throat (steady) when having your eyes examined/someone is talking soothingly. Anyone else get that or are we just weird? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, bigfoote said:

The train one absolutely, and to add, getting on a train to find an empty table set, able to sit without feeling like a sardine.

This one can backfire though as I found out when I went to visit my sister a few months ago. Got on the train in Birmingham one afternoon and saw the empty table set, sat down and got settled in. A few stops later a group of 3 businessmen got on and sat at the table. Which would've been fine if they weren't the most obnoxious, arrogant, fake-posh accent having divs and I was now sandwiched in by them. One next to me, two sitting opposite facing me. Overpowering smell of aftershave and bullshit and then the laptops came out and it was all 'Tell Tarquin I need those spreadsheets done ASAP' and all that. The types of twats you see on The Apprentice who get terrorised by Claude when he goes through their CV. I couldn't even put my earphones in because I'd discovered my daughter had broken them just before I left to get the train. Luckily I only had about 2 stops left to Euston. But yeah, I never sit at the table now. Just incase I get trapped against the window by the NASDAQ squad. 

Sorry for moaning in such a positive thread. Back on topic, I love the smell when you pierce the foil on a new jar of coffee. My wife loves it too so she gets pissed off if I beat her to it. Especially because I don't even drink the stuff. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, taking the empty table is a mug's game. You'll ever get swamped by business pricks or a bickering family. The key is identifying which seats people are least likely to want to take.

Either that or, every time someone comes close to sitting next to you, just invitingly pat the seat, while maintaining eye contact. They'll soon move along.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Either that or, every time someone comes close to sitting next to you, just invitingly pat the seat, while maintaining eye contact. They'll soon move along.

Amateur-level — nob out is the way to go.

Actually, nob out on the train is a blinder for this thread.

• Paid Members
On 10/25/2018 at 1:07 PM, Joe Blog said:

Also my wife and I agreed that you often get a funny feeling in your throat (steady) when having your eyes examined/someone is talking soothingly. Anyone else get that or are we just weird? 

Sounds like ASMR to me. I don't get it, but the missus does. 

On 25 October 2018 at 3:23 PM, wandshogun09 said:

This one can backfire though as I found out when I went to visit my sister a few months ago. Got on the train in Birmingham one afternoon and saw the empty table set, sat down and got settled in. A few stops later a group of 3 businessmen got on and sat at the table. Which would've been fine if they weren't the most obnoxious, arrogant, fake-posh accent having divs and I was now sandwiched in by them. One next to me, two sitting opposite facing me. Overpowering smell of aftershave and bullshit and then the laptops came out and it was all 'Tell Tarquin I need those spreadsheets done ASAP' and all that. The types of twats you see on The Apprentice who get terrorised by Claude when he goes through their CV. I couldn't even put my earphones in because I'd discovered my daughter had broken them just before I left to get the train. Luckily I only had about 2 stops left to Euston. But yeah, I never sit at the table now. Just incase I get trapped against the window by the NASDAQ squad. 

Sorry for moaning in such a positive thread. Back on topic, I love the smell when you pierce the foil on a new jar of coffee. My wife loves it too so she gets pissed off if I beat her to it. Especially because I don't even drink the stuff. 

I once had a pre-booked ticket from Warrington (I think) through work back into London which my worked booked with the table thing in mind. As soon as I got onto the train there was a family already sitting in the other seats - I wasn't sure if they were meant to be sat there or had booked to be sat there but wasn't going to put myself through that for a couple hours. Just found my own seat. 

• Paid Members
On 10/25/2018 at 3:23 PM, wandshogun09 said:

I love the smell when you pierce the foil on a new jar of coffee. My wife loves it too so she gets pissed off if I beat her to it. Especially because I don't even drink the stuff. 

I hope this behaviour comes up in the divorce.