Small things you appreciate

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Definitely Chest's train doors one. 

Also;

Some Fridays when I finish work early I can pick my daughter up from school. This only happens about once every couple of months. Usually it's always her mum or nan picking her up so she's never expecting me. She always has a look of surprise, then a beaming smile then comes running up and gives me a hug that squeezes my neck so hard I could swear she's been watching Randy Orton chinlockfests all day in class. 

The sound of heavy rain. Hate being out in it and getting drenched but when I'm inside in the warm and hear the rain pissing down against the windows, I find it quite relaxing. 

Waking up in the middle of the night and thinking 'fuck...work in 2 hours'. Then realising it's Sunday morning.

Farting in the bath. Sorry to lower the tone but I've never let off a bubbly bath fart that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. 

And any day when I don't even have to use my AK. That is a good day. 

• Paid Members

When you manage to drink your tea or coffee at that point where it's very slightly too hot - it's absolutely perfect. God I love that.

Not an original thought at all, but when you put a pair of kecks on that you haven't worn for a while and there's a fiver in the pocket. It's like a lottery win. Without the yachts and the strippers.

Bullet headers. Think Ruud Gullit in the Euro '88 final. Was playing FIFA in the pub on Sunday morning with my daughter and I scored one from a corner. Had to quell the urge to whip my shirt off and run round the place waving my shirts above my head.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

When I'm out walking somewhere listening to music and I arrive at my destination at the same instant a song I'm thoroughly enjoying finishes. Wish I could bottle that feeling of pure satisfaction. 

And apologies for bringing a relatively wholesome conversation to the UKFF's favourite subject, (perhaps inevitably), but when you have a very pleasant poo which you then discover magically requires no wiping. I'm not entirely sure why that happens very occasionally but I do know it makes me feel like a King. 

The smell of burning leaves. I've always loved that aroma and it's the perfect time of year to get a whiff of it walking through the more residential streets around here.

Scoring a 93rd minute equaliser/winner on FIFA. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

• Paid Members

When there is a storm happening outside I will sit, warm and dry inside, open the windows and sit there and watch. The sound of the rain, the slight breeze, the smell. It is wonderful!

Recording podcasts. I record far too many, but it has become my hobby and I feel the people I record with are like extended family as we talk so often, even if we only ever see each other maybe once a year if we are lucky.

• Paid Members

I used to love the smell from the ADM cocoa factory in Hull. Aside from it just being lovely, as a kid, that smell in the air as you drove in was the "we're almost there" part of a car journey.

At Jersey Zoo, there's a recording that plays outside the entrance, of someone reading an excerpt from a Gerald Durrell book, over assorted animal sounds. I just find it one of the most soothing, relaxing things in the world. 

The sound of gently ripping water. My favourite sound in the world.

People using a word that I've not heard in a long time, and using it correctly - someone in my office used 'petrify' in exactly the right way, I was so pleased I applauded her.

Chocolate.

The way my 5 year old daughter gets in with me when she stays over and squeezes me like I'm going to take off if she lets go.

My eldest is nearly 9, she's too old to give me hugs anymore and it makes me a bit sad that I only have a few years left with this one before she too becomes too cool for hugs, but yeah, her hugs are the best. 

• Paid Members

Being in a routine that I enjoy, with a job I like. That might not count as small, but for a long time I was doing a job I hated and didn't quite realise at the time how much of an effect that had on me. I've been much happier, and have been able to quit drinking because of it. I've been sober for 10 months now, something I thought was absolutely beyond me 2 years ago. 

Doing a big shit with the door open. 

• Paid Members

Getting to work before anyone else. It rarely happens anymore as a new colleague is overly eager and gets there about an hour before we open, but on the rare occasion I do, I really enjoy the feeling of chilling out for 10 minutes and having a cup of tea while going through emails at my own pace before everyone else/the manager arrives with their million questions the lazy fuckers could find the answers to themselves.

• Paid Members

Sat reading with my youngest, Sophia who is 5. She's really coming on with her reading, so it's a complete pleasure to sit and listen to her plowing her way through her books.

Also, a massive, proper kebab smothered in chilli and garlic sauce and a tray of chips and cheese. Pure heaven!