Movies that inspired pro wrestling

IANdrewDiceClay

I mean, a lot of names are ripped off from movies.

Ryback = Segal's character in Under Siege, plus of course his outfit referenced Terminator as well.

Apollo Crews = Apollo Creed

Rob Van Dam = JCVD

Dolph Ziggler = Dirk Diggler

I personally always though Dean Ambrose's first name might have been inspired by James Dean.  I'm sure there are a ton of others.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Watching Ricochet in NXT, it feels natural to have them somehow lend from the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe when they bring him to the main roster, but I can never really come up with any good ideas or scenarios. In my head, he ends up just wearing the same cape that Neville used to wear, the one that constantly seemed to get in his face and annoy him.

Adam Rose was supposedly inspired by Russell Brand's portrayal of Aldous Snow in Get Him to the Greek and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It speaks for what a shit filter Vince is that we ended up just getting some dickhead with a Bunny.

• Paid Members

Mind that period where it felt like everyone was trying to rip off Heath Ledger's Joker? The best two examples are Edge basically doing that character during promos and Real Estate Steve doing Jack Nicholson because he stopped going to the pictures after Robocop 2.

No one bothered doing the Leto one. Go figure.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

I mean, a lot of names are ripped off from movies.

Ryback = Segal's character in Under Siege, plus of course his outfit referenced Terminator as well.

Apollo Crews = Apollo Creed

Rob Van Dam = JCVD

Dolph Ziggler = Dirk Diggler

I personally always though Dean Ambrose's first name might have been inspired by James Dean.  I'm sure there are a ton of others.

Xavier Woods went by the name Consequences Creed and wore old glory shorts like in those Rocky Movies back in TNA.

The Crews in Apollo Crews is taken from Terry Crews, isn't it?

5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Never mind this knock off, lets not forget that horrible Wrestlemania 31 /Terminator HHH enterance from a few years back. Just like the movie it was promoting, it sucked.

Image result for hhh terminator

To be fair that was ruined mostly by it being done in daylight. Just made it all look cheap, would have come off loads better at night as a one off spectacle 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Mind that period where it felt like everyone was trying to rip off Heath Ledger's Joker? The best two examples are Edge basically doing that character during promos and Real Estate Steve doing Jack Nicholson because he stopped going to the pictures after Robocop 2.

No one bothered doing the Leto one. Go figure.

I always felt he did Romero's Joker - much more animated, much more energetic. But fused, visually, with Ledger's.

Also, I preferred Adam Rose as Leo Kruger. The malevolent Afrikaner bushman gimmick had more mileage, I felt.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

I always felt he did Romero's Joker - much more animated, much more energetic. But fused, visually, with Ledger's.

No need! Well, if we're being Carbomb about it, he was doing Jim Carrey because he sort of looks like him.

Basically Russo thought he could rejuvenate the character again, like the crow, by having Sting do The Dark Knight. Again, Real Estate Steve doesn't do film references past the 90s.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Henry - Portrait Of A Serial Killer inspired Johnny "The Bull" Stamboli when he was in TNA.  He hadn't realised he was watching the film in a mirror. (Although he was originally Redrum based on The Shining)

Not sure if you know, but Rellik is Killer backwards

Archived