Movies that inspired pro wrestling

IANdrewDiceClay

7 hours ago, Loki said:

Ryback = Segal's character in Under Siege

Ryback = Ryan + Silverback I thought. Sure i watched something once with the big guy himself explaining as such.

Austin talks of movie inspirations for the original Stone Cold character plenty. The buzz cut inspired by Bruce Willis in Pulp Fiction and Woody Harrelson in Natural Born Killers and the characters general demeanour and cold blooded nature taken from a documentary he saw on another serial killer which I think was called “Ice McDagger”.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
7 hours ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Ryback = Ryan + Silverback I thought. Sure i watched something once with the big guy himself explaining as such.

I think that’s the case, yeah - he was “Silverback” Ryan Reeves before.

Ryback was pretty much a full-on Terminator gimmick to start with, though, including wearing one red contact lens.

14 hours ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Austin talks of movie inspirations for the original Stone Cold character plenty. The buzz cut inspired by Bruce Willis in Pulp Fiction and Woody Harrelson in Natural Born Killers and the characters general demeanour and cold blooded nature taken from a documentary he saw on another serial killer which I think was called “Ice McDagger”.

Half right - he watched the documentary on Richard Kuklinski, the Iceman, and picked up the original "Stone Cold" demeanour from there - talking in a quiet, sinister way. When he talked to Vince about going in that direction the creative services department came up with a list of potential names for him like Ice Dagger and Chilly McFreeze.

Just now, returner82 said:

Half right - he watched the documentary on Richard Kuklinski, the Iceman, and picked up the original "Stone Cold" demeanour from there - talking in a quiet, sinister way. When he talked to Vince about going in that direction the creative services department came up with a list of potential names for him like Ice Dagger and Chilly McFreeze.

Yeah, the poster @Chilly McFreeze told me about this!

Just looking at The Stone Cold Truth, those names were the brainchild of Debbie Bonnanzio, who was briefly featured in Beyond the Mat. The list also included stuff like Fang McFrost and Ivan the Terrible, which led to Steve imagining being introduced as "accompanied to the ring by his sled dog Nantucket...".

51 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I've not seen the film, but I recall Chris Jericho saying he based his 2008 heel run on a character from, "No Country For Old Men."

49 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

He did a fucking piss poor job if that's the case.

Went on a big Anton YouTube watch and, despite Jericho having some dodgy barnets in his time, I got more of a Cena vibe from this clip

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, returner82 said:

Just looking at The Stone Cold Truth, those names were the brainchild of Debbie Bonnanzio, who was briefly featured in Beyond the Mat. The list also included stuff like Fang McFrost and Ivan the Terrible, which led to Steve imagining being introduced as "accompanied to the ring by his sled dog Nantucket...".

Didn't Austin's wife/girlfriend at the time tell him to hurry up and drink his brew before it went stone cold?

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Went on a big Anton YouTube watch and, despite Jericho having some dodgy barnets in his time, I got more of a Cena vibe from this clip

I remember him talking about this - it was more 'inspired by' rather than mimicking. What Jericho liked was how softly spoken the character is, and used that aspect of the character. So while everyone else was getting bigger and louder, he'd quieten down.

Archived