Movies that inspired pro wrestling

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

It seems pretty common knowledge that the coolest film to take something from is the Mad Max series. Mad Max has basically been the inspiration of about a million things in wrestling hasnt it? The Road Warriors, Demolition etc. type gimmicks being the most obvious, but WCW seemed to run through the lot in the early 90s. The Thunderdome cage and the Spin the Wheel Make the Deal, being obvious lifts from the series.

What other things have been taken from movies or pop culture and used in wrestling?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Waylon Mercy was inspired by Cape Fear, and Bray Wyatt, as pointed out so cromulently by @Astro Hollywood, drew on influences also from that and a ton of so many other things, including Southern Gothic horror films. 

Paul Birchall infamously, as I'm sure we all recall, had a pirate gimmick based on Jack Sparrow. 

And Ric Flair, as I'm sure @Thunderplex will attest, was inspired by Alien:

flair kiss.png

• Paid Members

When Heyman just used to stand there nodding while Punk used to do his gobshite programs I used to pretend to myself that they were wrestling's Jay and Silent Bob, but that was only for my own amusement. Except I caught a bit of an old Jericho podcast the other day and heard Paul E say of their pairing "He's Morris Day, I'm Jerome" and I nearly spat out my squash. Maybe I wasn't imagining it after all. Oh we oh we oh.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

It seems pretty common knowledge that the coolest film to take something from is the Mad Max series. Mad Max has basically been the inspiration of about a million things in wrestling hasnt it? The Road Warriors, Demolition etc. type gimmicks being the most obvious, but WCW seemed to run through the lot in the early 90s. The Thunderdome cage and the Spin the Wheel Make the Deal, being obvious lifts from the series.

What other things have been taken from movies or pop culture and used in wrestling?

A few more from Mad Max - a number of wrestlers, including Sid, have wrestled as Lord Humongous, the WWF had Mad Maxine in the '80s, Jericho's "Ayatollah of Rock & Rolla" nickname comes from Mad Max 2, and for a couple of years Jimmy Jacobs' look was largely modelled on Toecutter from the first film. There's probably a bunch more I'm forgetting, it's probably the most referenced film series in pro-wrestling.

Otherwise - wrestling's had its fair share of Jasons, Freddies and Leatherfaces. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Knuckleball always reminded me of someone who had walked off the set of The Warriors.

Apparently British wrestler Bash, who wrestles primarily for WAW (I think) amongst many other promotions, also took his inspiration from the Baseball Furies in The Warriors.

Kenny Omega has a few different things from Terminator incorporated into his act.

At Wrestle Kingdom last year he parodied an entire scene from Terminator for his entrance before walking out in Arnie/Terminator attire.

NJPW mega-star Kenny Omega is presently working through a leg injury

In addition to that, he has released a few t-shirts in the style of the movie and the crowd chant to the famous beat of the movie theme when he is preparing to do a big dive out of the ring.

image.png

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, dopper said:

Kenny Omega has a few different things from Terminator incorporated into his act.

At Wrestle Kingdom last year he parodied an entire scene from Terminator for his entrance before walking out in Arnie/Terminator attire.

NJPW mega-star Kenny Omega is presently working through a leg injury

In addition to that, he has released a few t-shirts in the style of the movie and the crowd chant to the famous beat of the movie theme when he is preparing to do a big dive out of the ring.

Never mind this knock off, lets not forget that horrible Wrestlemania 31 /Terminator HHH enterance from a few years back. Just like the movie it was promoting, it sucked.

Image result for hhh terminator

Also, am I the only one that thinks Kenny Omega just looks like a long haired and buff Jimmy Fallon?

Archived