Best horror movie baddies.

chokeout

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Love The Stepfather. Was thinking of trying out the sequel this week having never seen it.

You know there are three I Spit On Your Grave movies? Not including the original one from the 70s. How the fuck can you have 2 sequels of a remake? Especially when the plot is so straight forward as "woman is raped then chops all their cocks off. The End." Hardly leaving you wanting more is it?

"I Spit On Your Grave ... again!"

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Love The Stepfather. Was thinking of trying out the sequel this week having never seen it.

It’s not terrible, but a bit pointless.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

You know there are three I Spit On Your Grave movies? Not including the original one from the 70s. How the fuck can you have 2 sequels of a remake? Especially when the plot is so straight forward as "woman is raped then chops all their cocks off. The End." Hardly leaving you wanting more is it?

"I Spit On Your Grave ... again!"

I've never seen any of them, original or remakes. I suppose I'll get round to the first one at some point but my mum told me pretty much everything that happens when I was a kid as a warning against seeing it, although it just made me want to watch it more. Except it was banned and by the time it wasn't banned I had learned how to wank and was watching Jackie Chan films so I wasn't interested in it anymore.

• Paid Members

Echo the love of Wolf Creeks' Mick Taylor. Perfect unhinged psychopath stuff right there. Imagining yourself at his mercy is some frightening shit. 

Honourable mentions to Tim Curry's Pennywise (petrified me as a kid) and Through The Dragons Eye's 'Charn', who would permeate my dreams as a child for many years, despite being an educational TV show for children. 

2dd7cf7b1cdecffb87026c2fcb4bd1f8.png

Fucking look at him! 

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I myself like ones with no back story, but I felt Candyman was good as the back story worked. Sequels were shit mind. 

I love as much backstory/mythology as possible with my (franchise) horror villains, as long as it all makes sense. For example, in the original Halloween, I do struggle to get my hear around why an empty, escaped mental patient who's only thought is killing would care enough to wear a mask while doing it. Now, I'm glad they did put a mask on him, as it made the iconic character we all know, but I never got the reasoning behind it. I suppose it's that mindset why I do like Zombie's take on it so much!

My real peeve when it come to big franchise horror though, is when they pay no attention to timelines and splinter it all off all over the place. The Texas Chainsaw Massace film are really bad for this, as is the Halloween franchise. I think with the new films(and the remakes), Halloween has 5 different timelines and continuities going...

• Paid Members

Has to be Willy Wonka.

willy-wonka-anti-hero.jpg

Systematically 'kills off' the children visiting his house through torturous, satisfying and very fitting methods, with the sole survivor suffering the bittersweet fate of being turned into another Willy Wonka. 

He's devious, sneaky and eclectic with a blurry backstory and an apathetic attitude towards others. The perfect horror baddie.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Has to be Willy Wonka.

willy-wonka-anti-hero.jpg

Systematically 'kills off' the children visiting his house through torturous, satisfying and very fitting methods, with the sole survivor suffering the bittersweet fate of being turned into another Willy Wonka. 

He's devious, sneaky and eclectic with a blurry backstory and an apathetic attitude towards others. The perfect horror baddie.

In the book he pretty much has the Oompa loompas working for cocoa beans. The child icon runs a work shop. 

• Paid Members

I'm a Hammer Horror nerd, so I'm going to give a shout to Peter Cushing's Dr. Frankenstein. Something we've lost in horror movies is that Hammer/Dennis Wheatley sense that the true horror is at the hands of these wealthy, urbane, well-spoken people behind closed doors of mansions and country houses. Cushing played Frankenstein brilliantly, in that he never feels like a parodic mad scientist, but an intelligent, driven man who'll stop at nothing to achieve his goals, to the extent that it warps his whole world-view and morality. Not necessarily scary per sé, but a wonderful villain.

On a similar mad scientist note, I find Jeffrey Combs in Re-Animator absolutely, superbly chilling.

Also, Count Orlok in Nosferatu. Just the most genuinely creepy performance in cinema, made more uncanny by the age of the film and quality of the film stock.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

I love as much backstory/mythology as possible with my (franchise) horror villains, as long as it all makes sense. For example, in the original Halloween, I do struggle to get my hear around why an empty, escaped mental patient who's only thought is killing would care enough to wear a mask while doing it. Now, I'm glad they did put a mask on him, as it made the iconic character we all know, but I never got the reasoning behind it. I suppose it's that mindset why I do like Zombie's take on it so much!

My real peeve when it come to big franchise horror though, is when they pay no attention to timelines and splinter it all off all over the place. The Texas Chainsaw Massace film are really bad for this, as is the Halloween franchise. I think with the new films(and the remakes), Halloween has 5 different timelines and continuities going...

The ignoring timelines is becoming a bigger and bigger thing, especially with studios now realising that audiences are more than happy to go along with it. I get the feeling that the Terminator franchise will keep doing it until someone tells them to stop. Halloween is a great example of why it's a good idea though.Druids curses and convoluted story lines killed the franchise. It's a hard line to walk, you can't essentially make the same film every time and have to add new elements but 9/10 they end up ruining a character because, as mentioned above, sometimes a motiveless killer is just scarier.

Edit: Not saying that's always the case though, some of the hokier backstory for Freddy in 3 totally works and adds to the character at that point. I think most people can point out a 'sweet spot' for most of the big franchise baddies, where backstory adds to the story, rather than drags it down.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

You know there are three I Spit On Your Grave movies? Not including the original one from the 70s. How the fuck can you have 2 sequels of a remake?

71cVpJ9AczL._SL1500_.jpg

Think most of the best horror characters have been covered so far. If we could extend it to TV, Eugene Tooms from the X-Files is scary because he's human but not quite, and the Gentlemen from Buffy The Vampire Slayer are both terrifying and iconic, certainly memorable.

4 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

in the original Halloween, I do struggle to get my hear around why an empty, escaped mental patient who's only thought is killing would care enough to wear a mask while doing it. Now, I'm glad they did put a mask on him, as it made the iconic character we all know, but I never got the reasoning behind it. I suppose it's that mindset why I do like Zombie's take on it so much!

I can't remember a thing about the Rob Zombie films but i just put it down to the fact he wore a mask at the start of the film and he just carried on with that. Likewise for the kitchen knife.

Leatherface takes this for me. As @TildeGuy~! mentions, that hammer blow is just brutal. Totally cold. The scene where he's swinging the saw around at the end as the sun comes up is just beautiful, just a lunatic murderer, wearing the skin of his victims on his face, swinging a chainsaw around.

This bastard has to be up there. Keeps the beaches open, downplays all the deaths and steals Cena's suit jackets.

jaws-mayor-615x339.jpg

Archived