Best horror movie baddies.

chokeout

• Paid Members

As a spin off of some horror talk in the films watched thread, and with Halloween approaching, I want to know who is the best horror movie baddie?

Is it Freddy with his one decent movie (number 3, obviously) and a decent into campy nonsense? Is it Jason from Friday 13th part two, despite him looking like Spudgun from Bottom with a bag on his head? Rawhead Rex, The Thing, The Shape, The Blob, The fog, The Stuff, Them! Which one had the biggest impact on you? 

Bonus points for anyone who can name a character that was improved with sequels that isn't a xenomorph. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The original Nightmare on Elm Street is great as well - and Wes Craven's New Nightmare is fucking fantastic. So much better than almost anything else in the series.

As far as best horror baddies... well, Michael Myers has to be up there. 1, 2, 7 and the recent ones are all really good to decent. When I saw Halloween for the first time, it's where my interest in film-making came from. It's just a masterpiece, and the blank face, that you can't possibly reason with, is perfect. There's a great podcast called Halloween Unmasked on at the moment, which is 8 parts looking at the series (focusing on the first one).

With regards to the sequel point, I'd suggest Pazuzu the demon in The Exorcist. I rewatched The Exorcist III in the cinema last year and was genuinely impressed. I didn't love it as a teenager, but it's superb. Not as good as the first one, but different and strong in its own right.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Chris B said:

With regards to the sequel point, I'd suggest Pazuzu the demon in The Exorcist. I rewatched The Exorcist III in the cinema last year and was genuinely impressed. I didn't love it as a teenager, but it's superb. Not as good as the first one, but different and strong in its own right.

I don't think there's been a scene in a horror film that freaked me out as much as this when I saw it the first time. 

• Paid Members

I always plump for human baddies in horror films because I always find there's something more unnerving about them over just a monster or an alien or some other otherwordly git.

So, John Cassavetes in Rosemary's Baby. Jack Torrance is another. But most of all, this bastard:-

latest?cb=20160101162358

Right to the wall.

• Paid Members

Big Leatherface fan. I'm with D-Mal in that, my villains have to be human to get me shitting my pants. These people could live next door for all I know. And Leatherface is the best of both words. He's a real person who is either mentally disabled or they've just do no job on raising him and he's grown up not having a clue how to interact with people. So he's a yelping mess. I dont even think its anything personal with him. He sees humans how hunters see deer. He gets on with his business fairly simply. Even looks stressed out when things arent going his way. Like my Mam on Christmas day when the puddings are to big.

Even though the films are hit and miss, Mick Taylor from Wolf Creek deserves a mention for just how unapologetic he is as a genuine cunt. Paralysing a girl from the neck down and just leaving her is pure evil, but to do it was a smile and a joke is the sign of a man who knows his audience.

Sadako from Ring does it for me. Just pure evil and no bullshit philosophising behind her motives.  In fact that's what I hate about baddies such as Jigsaw from the Saw films. Oh he's dying so he punishes those who don't enjoy life because he is dying and can't bullshit.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Sadako from Ring does it for me. Just pure evil and no bullshit philosophising behind her motives.  In fact that's what I hate about baddies such as Jigsaw from the Saw films. Oh he's dying so he punishes those who don't enjoy life because he is dying and can't bullshit.

That's what pissed me off about the remakes of Halloween ( and they fix so well in the new one). Michael was an emotionless, motiveless killer. Just evil. 

Rob Zombie decided he needed a back story and a hint of tradegy about him which just made everything shitter. Just being evil 'because' is far scarier. 

On a side note. There's not been much funnier than the Saw franchise painting themselves into corners then scrambling to carry on a franchise after killing off their main character. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, chokeout said:

On a side note. There's not been much funnier than the Saw franchise painting themselves into corners then scrambling to carry on a franchise after killing off their main character. 

You'd be in trouble with @Mike Castle if he was still around, I'll tell you.

I agree about Mick Taylor as well. Again, just a psychopath. No back story, just a horrible man. But also really funny, I thought he was even better in the second one when they fleshed him out a bit. I much preferred the second Wolf Creek and I don't think it's a coincidence that he's in it more.

• Paid Members

I'm sure Mike Castle is standing on a street corner somewhere with a big board, covered in bits of red string, explaining why Saw is a rich tapestry of interweaving narratives. 

IMG_0889.JPG

'And as you can clearly see in exhibit B it was always the plan for Jigsaw to eventually turn on the very people he saved'

The Hitcher is an underrated example of that motiveless killer. Nasty little film. 

• Paid Members

I'm a full on, unashamed Fred-head personally.Have been since I was about 8. He's never scared me(although the only thing that has ever scared me in film and TV is Ghostwatch)

Also got a lot of time for Pinhead and Captain Spaulding(from Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses/ Devil's Rejects). I think its the fact they all have voices and personalities that does it for me. I do like Jason and The Shape, but they are both the least interesting to me.

Also, I loved Rob Zombie's Halloween. I know it gets a lot of stick, but if that film was called anything else but Halloween I believe it would be considered a modern day slasher classic!

• Paid Members

knife2.jpg

Captain Rhodes from Day of the Dead was a masterclass in cuntdom. Unhinged, bullying arsewhole whose eventual demise has you practically whooping at the screen. 

maxresdefault.jpg

David Hess from House On The Edge of the Park. Sadistic sleazeball  who you couldn't tear your eyes away from to see what depravity he'd get up to next. 

bloodsucking-freaks-2.jpg

Speaking of depravity, you'd be hard-pressed to top Sardu from Bloodsucking Freaks in that field.  This guy's an absolute riot from beginning to end.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

knife2.jpg

Captain Rhodes from Day of the Dead was a masterclass in cuntdom. Unhinged, bullying arsewhole whose eventual demise has you practically whooping at the screen. 

Great shout. Dude gets one of the all time best death scenes as payback. 

Archived