Smoking

Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members

I quit twice. First time lasted a week, second time is on 15 years and counting. First time I used nothing, second I used an inhalor type job with nicotine to get me through the first 2 weeks. 

Also the second time I actually wanted to rather than just thinking I should, and if say that's the big difference.

Though now and then I quite fancy a smoke still.

• Paid Members

I've cut down a lot by using my vape. Especially at home - I'd say I've cut smoking at home by at least half.

Work is the problem. The vast majority of my colleagues smoke and I've been taking a smoke break on the hour, every hour in my two and a half years here. I'm hoping that when I leave at the end of November, I can ring in the new year as a vapor only.

Quick note on those that whine, bitch and complain about smokers having more breaks than the you. Here's an idea: if you see a group of smokers getting ready to go and smoke, go with them. Just for a chat. It's not just office gossip (although it's always worth hearing who's on thin ice , or about the new Office Manager, Jemma, who seems nice enough outside the office but seems to be labouring under the extreme misapprehension thst she's anyone's boss. Can professionalism be so professional that the person exhibiting this level of professionalism can come across a bit cold or a bit calculated.

Now, ir you non smokers don't want to chat with the smokers because the smell mjght end up on your clothes, that's understandable. What I don't get is making a big thing if it. How about when we take our 5 minute smoke breaks, you take s five minute screen break, make a cup of tea - whatever. Just don't screech about how it's unfair when smokers take a break when nothing is stopping you whiney fucks from taking too

1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Now, ir you non smokers don't want to chat with the smokers because the smell mjght end up on your clothes, that's understandable. What I don't get is making a big thing if it. How about when we take our 5 minute smoke breaks, you take s five minute screen break, make a cup of tea - whatever. Just don't screech about how it's unfair when smokers take a break when nothing is stopping you whiney fucks from taking too

I gotta disagree with this. If people smoke on set breaks then fair enough, but people popping out every hour for a fag is a tad excessive. And I say this as someone who used to smoke (and still have a few when having a few beers). Obviously every workplace and it's dynamics are different so what works in one place may not work so well in another.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Work is the problem. The vast majority of my colleagues smoke and I've been taking a smoke break on the hour, every hour in my two and a half years here.

This is my problem too. I won't smoke at all on weekends. If I have a week's holiday then I might have one or two. But when I get to work on monday night I have one before I start, two or three on every half hour break (I get three half hour breaks between 10pm - 7am) then a sneaky few out the back door during the night and one at the bus stop before I go home.

God I hate that place.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, The Maestro said:

I gotta disagree with this. If people smoke on set breaks then fair enough, but people popping out every hour for a fag is a tad excessive. And I say this as someone who used to smoke (and still have a few when having a few beers). Obviously every workplace and it's dynamics are different so what works in one place may not work so well in another.

Well, I suppose it does depend on where you work. If you're expected for business reasons to be at your desk until lunch and then again following lunch, then it is what it is - but then, why do the smokers not have the same requirements. In my place, the only people who don't smoke are the MD, Office Manager and two of the BDMs. One of the newer non-smoking BDM did at one point raise the issue but it was swiftly dismissed because, as I said in my previous post, nobody is stopping them from having a 5 minute break every hour so - nobody is saying they have to smoke. Eat a fucking satsuma or something.

We don't get specific, special break times apart from lunch. Mainly we aren't treated like school children who can't manage our time. I'm sure if the fag breaks started having a negative effect on the bottom line, then there would be an issue.

• Paid Members

I'll smoke my pipe if I'm taking a break in the garden and a cigar now and then when I'm driving or on a day out and fancy it. As a result I tend to go for a brand I know I really enjoy as a slight personal indulgence. 

I don't care if others smoke or where they do it as long as they try and be considerate. Anyone blowing shite out of one of those vape things in a crowd and uses the crap 'it's just steam/vapor/nothing excuse to justify being a cunt deserves a hard punch in the back of the head. Just because it's not tabaco smoke doesn't mean you can be socially unaware of peoples personal space. 

I gave up smoking with my Dad when he was diagnosed with Prostate cancer, he soon returned to his pipe as he said the damage had been done and he enjoyed it. I smoked about 15 a day at that point. 10 years later.. I started again.. No idea why.. Lasted 3 packets and 1 week. I've been smoke free now for just under 2 weeks.  I didn't miss the horrible smell on my hands.. The coughing shit up.. Also last time I bought fags they were 4:95 for a packet of 20...

11 quid now for the brand I smoked!! 

Funny thing was, when I went to asda to buy some I asked for a pack of 10.. The lady behind the counter laughed and said you've not smoked for a while have you... 

• Paid Members

I stopped smoking in Feb and moved onto a vape. The only time i revert back to smoking is when i'm at a bar and don't fancy blowing a cloud of vape into the crowd or later on in the night when i get giddy.

I never really looked into it but whats the general thoughts on vapes health wise?

• Paid Members

Looking at 8.80 for 20 of my preference or around 14 quis for 30g of Amber Leaf. Usually only splash out on a pack of fags on payday or if I'm on a night out.

Vaping is probably a million times safer for you than a regular smoke. There's a reason the BMA (I think it was, could have been PHE) are on at doctors to prescribe them as part of getting people to stop smoking.

16 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Quitting is easy, I do it all the time. Actually, I'm happy with only doing it sometimes now. If I'm with fellow smokers I find it irresistible, but I'm glad it's not a daily habit anymore. Allen Carr's book works, but have any of you managed to kick it for good, or are just happy with the dark side?

Surely if quitting was easy you would have only had to do it once? 

• Paid Members

Was a 10-15 a day Marlboro smoker years back and then went on to roll ups. Have been vaping for around 6-7 years and I don't think I could ever go back to cigs now. I gag at the smell these days and can't believe how I used to put up with it. 

Vaping is so much cheaper too. 

Archived