What would have been.....Ultimate Warrior

Armitage Shanks

12 hours ago, David said:

The "love of performing as a wrestler" can be kept for the dudes who light up the community halls in front of a few hundred people to be honest, the Warrior knew exactly what he was doing during his years in the business.

His aim, as was the case with virtually every other guy on the roster, was to make as much money as possible. He got a bad rap from a lot of his peers because he made more coin than they did, plain and simple.

It was never a case of leading a horse to water, because not only was he lead to water during his career, but he drank the fucking river dry.

He was a loonball by all accounts, and his personal beliefs where sketchy to say the least, but he got in to wrestling, made his dough, and got the fuck out. He spent many years doing exactly what he wanted to, where a lot of his peers were held together with tape and singlets trying to recapture the glory days.

I don't disagree. However, I would like to think that if you did have a bit more passion (for want of a better word) for the job you happen to be doing you might not turn into such a basket case. I'm certainly not suggesting he should have changed his routine or taken loads of bumps or whatever. Rather, if he'd made a bit more effort to be one of the lads and not treat it merely as an excuse to make money, his mental health might not have suffered so much. Wrestling is different to normal jobs, of course, but if you make it clear you're above it all then it's not going to work out very well, is it?

Edited by Brewster McCloud

A silly extreme. You can be one of the boys without being a murderous nutter, obviously. Why did Jim turn into such a terrible person? I would suggest it was because he isolated himself and never had anyone keeping him in check. Great that he made money and got out of it, but a rather heavy price he paid. 

Look, if you're mental enough to do pro wrestling for a living, at least go along with the terms and conditions. 

You've come up with a very odd, baseless solution for Warrior's problems. Do you really think that having enough PASSION FOR THE BUSINESS to learn some workrates and movesets, do two decades on the road, and go out on the rape-and-forced-haircut sessions with the boys stops one being a nutter?

If so, how is it that so many of the boys are still nutters? Marty Jannetty loved the business. He had one of the biggest movesets in the WWF in his era, probably. He shared as many pills backstage as anyone, and spiked as many drinks. He wrestled for years past the point of his feet going crippled. And yet he's ended up asking fans on Facebook if he should fuck his daughter.

And you are putting words in my mouth. What I'm saying is that Hellwig could have been more like The Rock and been nicer to people rather than making it clear he was above them all and retreating permanently into parts unknown. Wrestling is a weird job; you can do it and make money without becoming a maniac if you play your cards right. No idea why you felt the need to bring up Jannetty, but whatever. Get your shit in, Pitcos.

Yes, it was probably a daft thing to say and I could have put it better. Fine. I don't think the crimes of Marty Jannetty are a good counterpoint, though. I'm sure we can both agree that they're both a pair of utter cunts, but why they became cunts isn't for the same reason and it's interesting to chat about it on the Internet. 

Warrior's attitude to the business was like Big Kev's without the charm. Get in, make your money, get out. Jim knew his limitations but knew his strengths and played to them perfectly. He was an extreme example of an attitude I kinda wish more of today's workers had, in terms of knowing yourself as a your own product, knowing your value, and being willing to stand your ground to protect that. And that doesn't mean being a dick if you're not main eventing. Warrior's career is full of examples of him working solidly with people all the way up the card, even if it took some rather blunt in-ring lessons like the Andre story to rein him in. I think the WCW stint was a major misstep, and I'd like to know the story behind that run creatively and whether it was a one-and-done or if there was any longterm plan for him (doubtful, if his deal was 6 months). But considering the bitter character assassination by WWE, it took one night at that Raw to turn him back into a legend, which is the real proof in the pudding. The man was charismatic, eccentric, and 100% believed in himself (I almost said "committed", but that could be a poor choice of words!). He was perfect for wrestling, and went out at the perfect time. Even the stories around his passing (possibly walking around while actually having a heart attack) add to his mythology. In the wider scheme of things, he wasn't a great person, but in the context of wrestling, both the business and the fantasy world, he was a giant. No need for one more match.

Edited by CavemanLynn

17 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

"Big Kev". Fuck Kevin Nash - a hero to people who like to look down upon indie wrestling fans in the mistaken belief it makes them somehow superior. A sloppy, arrogant waste of space who isn't cool at all. One good match with Bret once upon a time. Fucking overgrown teenager, jock cunt giant piece of shit I don't like him. 

I'm glad you ended with the last four words, I wasn't sure.

5 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Rather, if he'd made a bit more effort to be one of the lads and not treat it merely as an excuse to make money, his mental health might not have suffered so much.

His mental health? I don't think he was mentally ill, he was just an angry bigot, was he not? There's plenty of them, especially in the United States. 

He raised a family, seemed able to live a respectable life after wrestling. If he'd lived to his later years he'd have been just another "cringeworthy old grandad" hurling abuse at the gays as they walk past his porch.

Nah, he wasn't mentally ill. He was just a cunt.

40 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

One good match with Bret once upon a time.

He seemed to do okay with that NWO gimmick though.

Perhaps, David. It would be daft to diagnose the guy. From all that he's said, though, my impression is that he had a screw loose. I think you're misinterpreting me, as it's a good thing he made money and got of the biz, but the things he said after leaving wrestling are rather unhinged. Look at what he said about Hogan, for example, and then he was hugging him just before he died. Nowt wrong with that, but he seems to me like someone who suffered from being a wrestler. It's not a hill I want to die on. The Warrior eh? Mad bastard, great squash matches.

35 minutes ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Perhaps, David. It would be daft to diagnose the guy. From all that he's said, though, my impression is that he had a screw loose. I think you're misinterpreting me, as it's a good thing he made money and got of the biz, but the things he said after leaving wrestling are rather unhinged. Look at what he said about Hogan, for example, and then he was hugging him just before he died. Nowt wrong with that, but he seems to me like someone who suffered from being a wrestler. It's not a hill I want to die on. The Warrior eh? Mad bastard, great squash matches.

He said a lot of things about a lot of people though, didn't he? He was just a hateful guy. I don't think that's because he was a wrestler, I think it's just who he was.

There's plenty of dudes like him where people probably think "man, what a total dick," it just so happens that he had decent enough genetics and a work ethic that enabled him to make a good amount of dough for a period of time based off how he looked.

If he hadn't been a wrestler, he'd still have been a hateful bigot of a guy, except he'd be working in a gym, or in an office or driving a truck or whatever. There's plenty of people like him out there, we just focus on him because to us he was a famous wrestler.

It's not as though he was an unhinged lunatic who lived alone and burned stray cats to death, or even left his dogs out by the enclosed pool area with the garage side door open.

He raised what looks like a nice enough family, two daughters who looked normal and happy, and had a wife for 15 years. He wasn't mentally disturbed. He was just a bit of a cunt.

1 minute ago, David said:

He said a lot of things about a lot of people though, didn't he? He was just a hateful guy. I don't think that's because he was a wrestler, I think it's just who he was.

There's plenty of dudes like him where people probably think "man, what a total dick," it just so happens that he had decent enough genetics and a work ethic that enabled him to make a good amount of dough for a period of time based off how he looked.

If he hadn't been a wrestler, he'd still have been a hateful bigot of a guy, except he'd be working in a gym, or in an office or driving a truck or whatever. There's plenty of people like him out there, we just focus on him because to us he was a famous wrestler.

It's not as though he was an unhinged lunatic who lived alone and burned stray cats to death, or even left his dogs out by the enclosed pool area with the garage side door open.

He raised what looks like a nice enough family, two daughters who looked normal and happy, and had a wife for 15 years. He wasn't mentally disturbed. He was just a bit of a cunt.

Again, we're not disagreeing. I'm not saying that the mad shit he said was because he was a wrestler, but rather that environment might have made it worse and contributed to his cuntitude. And so what if he had a family? Even I can do that - woop de doo!