Best and Worst Celebrity Involvement in Wrestling

Brewster McCloud

The best are those who enter into the spirit of it, but then you get the kind who seem like they're only doing it after a gun was pointed at them and being counterproductive. During the rock'n'wrestling era you had Mr. T, Alice Cooper and Elvira adding something to proceedings. I quite like Steve Allen's contribution to Wrestlemania 6, especially the way he riled Monsoon on commentary. Ozzy Osbourne always seemed like he was having a grand old time. On the other hand, there have been some absolute disasters. WCW's use of Jay Leno springs to mind. Not that it wasn't a good idea to use him as a marketing tool, but to actually have him wrestle and have your headliners sell for him? 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I would've said that, for expectations vs. outcome, Kevin Federline must be the best, surely? Maybe it was the very fact that he was a Z-lister only famous for divorcing Britney Spears that made him such an effective heel.

Pretty boy Floyd for me. Floyd turning Big Show's nose into a dorito at no way out and Show legitimately steamrolling half of Money's entourage in a fit of rage was one of the best angles they've ever done. The execution of the mania match was way above my expectations, so much so that it's one of my favorite matches.

21 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I would've said that, for expectations vs. outcome, Kevin Federline must be the best, surely? Maybe it was the very fact that he was a Z-lister only famous for divorcing Britney Spears that made him such an effective heel.

Federline was great and I was disappointed it was a one and done. He was such a natural on the mic that I'm sure they could have used him beyond his Spears limelight. 

48 minutes ago, returner82 said:

I always liked Arnie on one of the early Smackdowns to promote End of Days and backhand Triple H.

Steve Allen was good too, but I never got the impression of him riling up Gorilla.

Allen on Snuka: "He's wearing my wife's underwear!" Gorilla, clearly seething at an outsider not taking wrestling seriously: "Oh, how lovely!" It's a shame it never escalated to the Heyman/Ross level of barely concealed hatred. 

12 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’m still disappointed we never got Jeff Stelling and the Gillette Soccer Saturday lot Guest GMing one of the UK Raws

“oooh, powerbomb Jeff”

As for best & worst, Floyd Mayweather will probably be the best and Al Sharpton was most likely the worst

Tyson trumps Mayweather, but Stelling would be perfect for wrestling. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a closet fan. See also: Sid Waddell. 

Archived