Dick Slater RIP

The Reverend

I always remember being surprised to see him when Sky were showing "WWF Classics" in the early 2000s. I had no idea he'd had a WWF run in the 80s. He was completely miscast as a Southern babyface waving the confederate flag in the mostly northeast arenas WWF taped at back then. He didn't stay there very long and never appeared on any PPV.

RIP Dirty Dick.

Not the guy I've seen the most of, but he was a regular in AJPW for over 15 years, so I've seen over 30 matches of his. Got a decent push there initially as a Terry Funk-lite kind of wrestler, being a regular in the early Champion Carnivals, including reaching the final in 1980. It was usually The CC and Real World Tag Leagues he was brought in for. He had a solid career in the 80s around the US, but I haven't watched much from the American continent from that decade so I'll leave you a...

"Top-10 Dick Slater Matches From Japan"

1. December 13, 1982 - Shohei Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta -vs- Harley Race & Dick Slater - (RWTT '82) [*** 3/4]
2. May 2, 1980 - Shohei Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta -vs- Terry Funk & Dick Slater [*** 1/2]
3. May 1, 1980 - Jumbo Tsuruta -vs- Dick Slater - (Champion Carnival '80 - Final) [*** 1/4]
4. July 25, 1984 - Genichiro Tenryu -vs- Dick Slater - (NWA United National Title) [***]
5. December 5, 1980 - Shohei Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta -vs- Ricky Steamboat & Dick Slater - (RWTT '80) [***]
6. December 2, 1982 - Bruiser Brody & Stan Hansen -vs- Harley Race & Dick Slater - (RWTT '82) [** 3/4]
7. June 8, 1982 - Stan Hansen & Umanoseke Ueda -vs- Genichiro Tenryu & Dick Slater [** 3/4]
8. May 13, 1989 - Jumbo Tsuruta & Yoshiaki Yatsu -vs- Danny Spivey & Dick Slater - (AJPW Tag Title) [** 1/2]
9. May 12, 1989 - Danny Spivey & Dick Slater -vs- Jumbo Tsuruta & Shunji Takano [** 1/4]
10. March 31, 1979 - Shohei Baba -vs- Dick Slater [** 1/4]

RIP Dick Slater

--PUNQ--

For me he was a little too much like a Terry Funk copy. From my understanding, he wasn't always like that, but in Japan I guess that was the easy translation to getting him over. Absolutely solid in the ring and legit, but not necessary the main guy that would enhance a match to the greatest heights.

--PUNQ--

Archived