Sign in to follow this  
hallicks

Armando Ianucci Appreciation Thread

Hard not to love this man's contribution to comedy. Wrote some Alan Partridge, Friday/Saturday/Election night armistice, Thick of it, as well as the seemingly forgotten Time Trumpet. Admittedly, it was a bit hit and miss, but I'm currently obsessed with this clip of future Tim Henman talking about the Andy Murray incident:

I could've sworn we had a Time Trumpet or an Armistice thread on here.  Hello Hugh was a particular favourite of mine!  Hope to see some classic clips in here!

Time Trumpet!! What a forgotten gem of a show. This is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread...

My all time favourite human being (apart from my wife).

I’ve loved everything he’s notable for. His Radio One show is often played in my car when I’m on a long journey - “Next week is Glenda Jackson Fortnight.” “You’ve won some swans!” and absolutely loved Friday/Saturday Night Armistice.

You can tell when he’s been involved in writing something, as the language is so “him” and the sheer randomness of the way he’ll uses adjectives has always made me laugh, right from when I was a young teenager. I published a book this time last year and credited him in the intro as being a huge influence on me.

The Day Today remains my favourite all time program. His work with Chris Morris, but more particularly Patrick Marber and Peter Beynam has never really got the universal critical acclaim it truly deserves. In time I think it will.

When considering the famous groups of writers and comedians, I genuine think theirs was (and still is) the finest this country has produced. 

I’m a ridiculous Partridge fan/nerd, it’s just brilliant. You can tell the more modern stuff isn’t his work, though, and much tries to clearly emulate the genius he bought to the character. It’s not as good.

Veep is, in my opinion, the funniest sitcom ever. I was worried when it was being billed as an “American Thick of It” but it surpassed it in terms of characters, situations and yet more brilliant writing. And I loved the Thick of It.

I only recently got to see Death of Starlin and it was better than I’d hoped it would be. It ticked all boxes.

Also, these shorts remain some of the funniest things to me:

Oh, and Venezuela 😁

I love this man.

Edited by scratchdj

Yep. Don’t know if it’s one for the unpopular opinion thread but for me Veep is better than The Thick Of It. Both are brilliant of course!

I mentioned on Twitter yesterday, one of my favourite Iannucci moments was him appearing on the South Bank Show and explaining how he thought Paradise Lost was "very silly" because the opening lines perfectly fit the theme tune to The Flintstones;

"Of man's
First dis-obedience
And the fruit of that forbidden tree."

My seven year old niece's favourite joke is, "what's big and small at the same time? A big egg".