Umaga - great gimmick, but a bit of a rapist.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Oh, I know there's no money in journalism. But money is not a huge issue for me. I'm in the fortunate position of owning my own place, with no mortgage, and very small other regular outgoings. So I can afford to attempt to do something I actually care about, something where I wake up in the morning looking forward to the day ahead, not dreading it.

Far as getting kidnapped or murder goes? Shit happens.

I thought you'd moved out of the UK? Or is that still to come? 

I guess it depends on where you end up working, doesn't it? There's the dreamy notion of being someone that's gonna change the world through words that many a University sells to journalism students (guess who it is that writes up those well-worded brochures? Copywriters!), but it rarely works out that way. 

I had three friends who went down the journalism route, and two of them now work for their local papers part-time covering junior football and crime, and the other guy opened his own mobile phone repair shop.

Hopefully you get what you're looking for from it all.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, David said:

I thought you'd moved out of the UK? Or is that still to come? 

I guess it depends on where you end up working, doesn't it? There's the dreamy notion of being someone that's gonna change the world through words that many a University sells to journalism students (guess who it is that writes up those well-worded brochures? Copywriters!), but it rarely works out that way. 

I had three friends who went down the journalism route, and two of them now work for their local papers part-time covering junior football and crime, and the other guy opened his own mobile phone repair shop.

Hopefully you get what you're looking for from it all.

I am desperate to get out of the UK but a lot depends on my partner. With what she's looking to do, the NHS is going to be the best place for her. We were talking about selling our place, getting a buy-to-let and using the income from renting that place out to fund our home in whatever nation we eventually call home.

I didn't read any brochures. In fact, for my undergrad, I specifically went with a programme that focused not just on Journalism, but on the media more generally. How politics and journalism, and politicians and journalists, have this incestual relationship. I really did learn a hell of a lot that made me look at the world in a different way.   I beat off a lot of competition to get a place on the masters programme I'm starting next year and the director of the programme told me that they take on 10-15 students per year from that programme and that, in almost all cases, those students are hired directly our of the programme into a role at one of the nationals. Whether or not that happens for me, only time will tell.

My "dream" is to work freelance, on stories I care about. But working freelance journalism is a risk. The money isn't steady and I don't have the resources of a big national to call on should I run into difficulties. What will be will be, anyway. Just gave my notice at my sales job and I swear on all that is holy that I will literally kill myself before doing another sales role.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I swear on all that is holy that I will literally kill myself before doing another sales role.

Bit much. I'm much happier sales paying my rent than being dead.

Even so, you basically trashed her character, then said it wasn't relevant to whether the assault took place.  The woman sounds like she is seriously fucked up and I'm guessing that might go some way in the "Believability" factor?

6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Even so, you basically trashed her character, then said it wasn't relevant to whether the assault took place.  The woman sounds like she is seriously fucked up and I'm guessing that might go some way in the "Believability" factor?

I stated facts. I'm sorry those facts do not paint her in a great light. If you want to call that 'trashing her character' then fair enough.
As I said, she may very well have been sexually assaulted but Elgin, by her own admission, had nothing to do with that. 

My point was if those things weren't relevant, as you pointed out, then why mention them?  I'm not au fait with the case, but were you correcting the assertion that Elgin was suing her?  I seem to recall you "Going to bat" for him before over this.  As I say I don't know the main gist of the story or accusations, (other than he was accused of covering up the assault?), so it's best I don't say any more.

Apologies for seeming off, I'm coming at this case from a position of ignorance.

• Paid Members

The reason people tend to go against anything Michael Elgin says to defend himself is that Elgin admitted to pissing in a girls face without her knowledge and then told it on a shoot interview as if was his opening number. So whatever way you want to look at it, Michael Elgin's a fucking muppet with no self awareness.

"What you opening with tonight, Mike? Smoke on the Water is it? No? Piss rape then?"

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

My point was if those things weren't relevant, as you pointed out, then why mention them?  I'm not au fait with the case, but were you correcting the assertion that Elgin was suing her?  I seem to recall you "Going to bat" for him before over this.  As I say I don't know the main gist of the story or accusations, (other than he was accused of covering up the assault?), so it's best I don't say any more.

Apologies for seeming off, I'm coming at this case from a position of ignorance.

Elgin is suing her for defamation - that's correct.
I mentioned those details to correct the assertion that Elgin was suing someone he sexually assaulted - which seems to be the narrative that has been falsely put out there, in a large part by the person he is suing, and is the reason why his career in the US, Canada and Europe HAS suffered. Are those things relevant to whether she was sexually assaulted by the person she initially stated? No. Are they relevant as to whether Elgin sexually assaulted her? Yes.

I have no personal interest either way so I would not necessarily say I was 'Going to bat' for anyone however I do feel the facts regarding this situation have been largely ignored, especially those that have come to light since the initial accusation was made. Elgin did not cover up a sexual assault, or attempt to. At worst, he cheated on his wife [and even that is not definite]. 

I just feel that lumping his name in with those that are accused of sexual misdemeanours/sexual assault/rape is unfair, that's all. 

Archived