Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I didn't say he's Luke Rockhold, but he looks like he's dropped a few. Considering how out of shape he says he was after his last fight, I'm sure he could definitely drop a few pounds by eating better and, you know, doing some cardio. It's probably the hardest Lewis has trained in his career.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Soz for double posting but...Countdown;

Should be worth a look. Has Derrick Lewis ever had the Countdown treatment before?Ā 

did he get it for the Ngannou disaster?

• Paid Members

This is fucking tomorrow! As usually happens with me these days, Iā€™ve neglected the buildup until now. Just havenā€™t had time to soak it all up. Going to try to squeeze some of it in tonight (behave) if I get chance. Just watching little bits and pieces now and stumbled upon this.Ā 

Luke Thomas talks about (and to)Ā Derrick Lewis;Ā 

I love Lewisā€™ attitude. Like Luke says there, itā€™sĀ so different to the stock answers everyone else gives. Heā€™s in it to provide for his family and nothing more. Heā€™s headlining MSG and fighting for the biggest prize in MMA, yet heā€™s soĀ nonchalant about the whole thing. Heā€™s almost certainly getting battered but Iā€™d love to see him pull it off. It would be great to see him win the title yet be more botheredĀ about getting back to theĀ plate of ribs waiting for him backstage.Ā 

As much as Iā€™m a huge DC fan, I canā€™t deny that my support is leaning towards the Beast.Ā 

F55CD402-23C5-4B59-B1A1-5EFA797F7B72.gif

• Paid Members

Didnā€™t want to triple post but since none of you are talking and this is just hours away, fuck it.Ā 

I think Iā€™ve caught up on most of the buildupĀ bits and bobs now. Still got Embedded to watch but thatā€™s about it. Just got done with the weigh in. The weigh ins never fail to get me hyped up.Ā 

jzAiX7.jpg

Cormier vs Lewis is a weird fight. Anytime these two wouldā€™ve been booked Iā€™d have picked DC to win comfortably every time.Ā The way itā€™s just been thrown together last minute kind of negates some of that for me though. Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™m still fully expecting DC to win. But these last minute fights have a way of fucking the narrative of what was supposed to happen right up the arse raw and dry. Look no further than Bisping knocking out Luke Rockhold on like a weekā€™s notice to win the title. That was not meant to happen. In some ways this would be an even bigger upset than that because thereā€™s more of a gulf in skills between DC and Lewis than there was between Rockhold and Bisping. But when a fighter has the punching power Derrick Lewis does,Ā and heā€™s also a much bigger man, you never know. The way this card has gone, the chaos surrounding it plus the possibility of Cormier taking this lightly, you just never know. He looked very porky at the weigh in to me. Heā€™s never looked great physically at heavyweight but I donā€™t know, he looked fatter than usual to me.Ā I donā€™t think DC will overlook Lewis too muchĀ but thereā€™s always the possibility that in the back of his mind thereā€™s a bit of complacencyĀ creeping in here. Letā€™s face it, he wouldnā€™t have taken on a Stipe or Gustafsson on this kind ofĀ notice. Thereā€™s a reason he accepted Lewis and itā€™s because, to some degree, he sees it as an easier nightā€™s work. Heā€™s a professional and I donā€™t doubt heā€™s taking it seriously, but thereā€™s got to be someĀ element ofĀ complacency in there for him to even take this fight on short notice when heā€™s got everything to lose and little to gain other than the short term financial incentive.Ā 

All that said, DC by submission. Heā€™s smaller, heā€™s older, he doesnā€™t have quite the one shot KO power Lewis does. But heā€™s the way superior fighter here. Faster, more well rounded and has a monster grappling game which, combined with his MMA skills,Ā has cut muchĀ bigger men down to size many a time in his career. Heā€™sĀ shown time and time again that heā€™s a fantastic fighter, heā€™s tough and, unless youā€™re Jon Jones, he finds a way to win.Ā 

CBhwNM.jpg

Weidman vs Jacare is a fight Iā€™ve been wanting to see for about 5 years now. Really looking forward to this. Bit of a difficult one to call because theyā€™ve both had their ups and downs and Weidman has been out of action for more than a year. But I think theseĀ two match up for a brilliant fight. On the ground Iā€™d favour Jacare over almost anyone. The manā€™s a grappling monster. But Weidmanā€™s no Kimbo himself. From everything Iā€™ve seen, read and heard heā€™s legit on the mat himself. Throw ground and pound in the mix and itā€™s a very interesting ground battleĀ here. On the feet itā€™s a bit of a 50/50 but I actually think Iā€™d give Jacare the edge there as well. Neither are prime Ernesto Hoost on the feet but theyā€™re both dangerous. I think Jacare has the slightlyĀ faster hands though. I think he might be quicker on the draw, heā€™s pretty accurate and he has power.Ā 

Iā€™m going Jacare by decision in a real good, competitive fight. Maybe a close one where we wish it was 5 rounds at the end. But I reckon Jacare comes through with the W.Ā 

u8MLaM.jpg

Branch vs Cannonier is another last minute fight where both men were in camp but training for different opponents. Branch was supposed to be fighting Jacare here which wouldā€™ve been a huge opportunity for him. If heā€™d won that it wouldā€™ve been the biggest scalp of his career by far. Circumstances cocked that up and now heā€™s fighting Jared Cannonier whoā€™s decent enough but offers no real upward momentum for Branch if he wins.Ā 

Branch by TKO. I think Branch is just the better fighter everywhere in this one. As long as heā€™s not down mentally for losing the Jacare opportunity, and he doesnā€™t come in tooĀ complacent orĀ disinterested, I think he wins this one handily. Cannonier is tough and took some good guys the distance but I think Branch can and will stop him.Ā 

PP8Gl9.jpg

Roberson vs Marshman is the darkhorse fight on the PPV for me. All the other main card fights have some kind of ā€˜storylineā€™ for lack of a better term. This one was just bumped up to the main show when the Diaz vs Poirier fight fell through. No fanfare, no hype. But itā€™s a real potential FOTN contender IMO. Neither man are making a run at a title anytime soon and Marshman has had a rough go of it so far in the UFC, but styles-wise I really like this matchup. And on a card full of top middleweight contenders and prospects, what better way for these guysĀ to make a statement than to go out there and wreckĀ the other man? You have toĀ think theyā€™re both coming in with that mentality. If they do itā€™s likely going to be a bit of a barnburner.Ā 

Roberson by KO/TKO in a war is what Iā€™m feeling. Marshman is durable and game as fuck but I think Roberson is the sharper of the two and gets to him at some point.Ā 

0KsaRV.jpg

Brunson vs Adesanya might just be the most intriguing fight on the entire card. EveryoneĀ is on Adesanyaā€™s dick at the moment and touting him as the next big thing at 185. I get the excitement about him but people are going on like heā€™s just going to walk through the division. I still think there are questions that remain unanswered before we can start getting all silly. I saw Luke Thomas saying he thinks Adesanya is a ā€œfuture UFC championā€ the other day.Ā Heā€™s undeniably good but Iā€™m not seeing him as the world beater most seem to be. I think some are looking at him and thinkingĀ unbeaten record - check, talks shit - check and then seeing his Kickboxing background and thinking heā€™s just going to destroy everyone. But watching his fights Iā€™m not totally convinced just yet. Not saying heā€™s shite or anything. Heā€™s mostly looked really good so far and has shown flashes of brilliance. But heā€™s also shown weaknesses that people seem to be overlooking. His grappling needs a ton of work. Iā€™m sure heā€™s putting the graft in there and heā€™s not bad at defending takedowns but itā€™s not like heā€™s without flaws like any other fighter. Marvin Vettori gave him fits his fight before last for fuckā€™s sake. And his best win to date is a decision over Brad Tavares. Adesanya is good, he shows some promise, but I think people need to calm down a bitĀ on the ā€˜future champā€™ stuff. If he smokes Derek Brunson itā€™ll say something about him though. Brunson should provide a good barometer for where Adesanya stands because Brunson is a really good wrestler, powerful puncher and heā€™s mixed it withĀ some of the top names in the division and done quite well for himself. Very interesting fight.Ā 

Going with Brunson by decision. I actually kind of hope Iā€™m wrong because Adesanya living upĀ to the hype and going on some mad streak would be great for the division. But Iā€™ve still got my doubts on him and Brunson is no joke and is strong in Adesanyaā€™s weakest area of MMA.Ā 

Full predictions then;Ā 

Daniel Cormier - SubmissionĀ 

Jacare Souza - DecisionĀ 

David Branch - KO/TKOĀ 

Karl Roberson - KO/TKOĀ 

Derek Brunson - Decision

Jordan Rinaldi - Decision

Sijara Eubanks - KO/TKOĀ 

Julio Arce - SubmissionĀ 

Lyman Good - KO/TKOĀ 

Lando Vannata - KO/TKOĀ 

Shane Burgos - Decision

Brian Kelleher - DecisionĀ 

Marcos RogƩrio De Lima - KO/TKO

• Paid Members

It's Middleweights R' Us on the main card of this one. By the end of the night the MW division will have really gotten quite a shake up once we see who the winners and losers are.Ā 

I'm expecting Weidman, Branch and Roberson to win their fights. I can't pick the Brunson/Adesanya winner though. That's a difficult fight to find a winner in. Brunson is a heavy hitters, who'll really give Adesanya a test in every department. He is, by far, Israel's toughest challenge to date. There are more interesting match ups in the future for Adesanya if he wins than there are for Brunson though, so I hope he picks up the W.Ā 

I expect DC gets it done here. His will to win I think will tell the tale in the end. He's a grinder, and when it comes down to the nitty gritty, I think he'll be able to dig a bit deeper than The Black Beast. One big right hand though and it can change in an instant, which is what makes this one so interesting.Ā 

• Paid Members

i think the Adesanya hype is justified. I just think people sense that he could be a breakout star and they are getting excited about it because of the way the guy carries himself. The guy just has that special sort of charisma that few fighters have, if he keeps winning the skys the limit. If Brunson doesn't decide to wrestle he's getting knocked out.

12 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

But these last minute fights have a way of fucking the narrative of what was supposed to happen right up the arse raw and dry. Look no further than Bisping knocking out Luke Rockhold on like a weekā€™s notice to win the title. That was not meant to happen. In some ways this would be an even bigger upset than that because thereā€™s more of a gulf in skills between DC and Lewis than there was between Rockhold and Bisping. ļ»æBut when a fighter has the punching power Derrick Lewis does,Ā and heā€™s also a much bigger man, you never know.

The Sherdog preview said the same.Ā It's a valid point.Ā 

However, I think DC is more mature and focusedĀ than Rockhold. I think he will take Lewis seriously and leave few openings. DC has only been rocked by elite Light Heavies,Ā such asĀ Jones, Rumble and Gusty, and only 1 of them managed to put him away. Against strikers moreĀ of Lewis's calibre,Ā Nelson, Mir, etc, they could barely lay a mitt on DC. I think DC gets the job done insideĀ 2 rounds by GnP.Ā 

You can all have a good laugh at me if I am wrong.Ā 

• Paid Members

All very true. But the entire reason we're having this discussion in the first place is because Lewis has demonstrated that he has the heart and wherewithal to win out of the blue when he's completely and utterly out-gunned, as he showed with Volkov. There's always a wild card element to heavyweights, but Lewis has shown that the percentage chance of that occurring might be slightly higher than most.

Archived