First trip to the cinema

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Aladdin for me. And what an absolutely magical first cinema experience that is if you were lucky enough at that age. Great blend of fun, drama, likeable babyfaces and a massive heel in Jafar, the cunt. The genie grabbed my attention the most, just brilliant. One of the first pieces of Disney merch I ever got was a lamp which was effectively an 8-ball - you’d shake it and see if your wish came true type of thing.

Not long after that we were lucky enough to go to Disney World in the States and they had a proper, full-on Aladdin parade like they had in the film, with the man himself (t may as well have been) and Jasmine on their royal perch on an actual elephant and all sorts. I was fucking beside myself. Can you imagine having just seen the film and then getting to see it effectively repeated live in front of you? I lost my shit. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
35 minutes ago, chokeout said:

some of the first films mentioned in here have made me feel really old. But on the flip some of you will never get to have enjoyed the real cinema experience of an interval piss break. 

Unless you went to see mother! which was one long piss break.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

First 12: Clueless (awesome) 

I remember going to see that with my sister and her mate, and then pretending not to have liked it afterwards.

My first proper film in a cinema that I can remember was the 1991 Robin Hood film, which was forgettable and I think I slept through a large chunk of it anyway. Imdb tells me Uma Thurman is in it though, apparently.

I rectified that a couple months later anyway when I went to see a good Robin Hood movie, I.e. Prince of Thieves. It really confused me as a kid there being two completely separate robin Hood movies released in such quick succession. Also apparently according to IMDB it didn't even get a cinema run in the US because of Prince of Thieves. I guess that's why it has been completely forgotten in history.

I'm sure I will have been dragged to other films younger than that, being the youngest kid in the family and I have vague memories of kids screening of some animation or other, but the disappointing Robin Hood film is the first thing I properly remember.

This was at the local Purley cinema which is now a block of 'luxury' flats. Closed down in my teens.

The first one I have a vivid memory of is going to see Jurassic Park at the on site cinema at a holiday camp with my mum cos my dad couldn't be arsed taking me so stayed by the camp pool with my sister and other family members that were with us. One of my best memories was going to see Space Jam with my cousins on the day a bomb scare caused the Grand National to be abandoned and moved to the Monday

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

My first cinema experience, and most of my childhood cinema experiences, took place at the Coronet Cinema on Turnpike Lane. It's no longer there, but was the cinema that was local to me before Hollywood Green and Vue opened up years later.

images(7).jpg

This location is now home to Turnpike Lane bus station. It was always a little run down but I remember going as a kid to watch some Disney films, one of the re-releases/remasters of A New Hope, Jurassic Park and The Santa Claus are all my earliest cinema memories. My great grandmother mainly used to take me, although I went once or twice with my mum. Afterward, we'd go to the Burger King nearby and I'd get a crown and a kids meal.

I miss those days.

That was my regular too. Aside from my first trip in Dewsbury, the vast majority of films I went to see when I was young were at the Coronet. It was run down, but, almost in a cliché way, it had a lot of charm to it, until the last couple of years when it was open, and the main auditorium started smelling rotten. The smaller auditoria were fine, though.

• Paid Members

For me it was 1973/74, the big theatre/cinema in Ashton Under Lyne with my parents seeing Disney’s Robin Hood.  I remember watching the “massive TV” in awe, as we had a black and white telly at the time.  I must have been 3 or 4, but can remember it vividly, I think it’s what started my love of movies.

Got a bit upset typing that, ya bastards!

• Paid Members

First film I went to see was the Flintstones. And it wasnt at a cinema. It was at the Sunderland Empire. They used to put a projector up and you could watch films. They've stopped doing it now, because the whole Sid James dying thing has eased off a bit, and we can attract proper acts like Alan Carr and Take That tribute bands again. I'll never forget just how lovely popcorn looked on telly, and when you actually bought some in a cinema they tasted like arse. The film was good, though. Dan off Roseanne and Louis Tully were in it.

First film I saw in a proper cinema, and not a theatre that might as well have had yellow police tape over the chalk line of Old Sid's corpse was The Mask, at the ABC which has sadly been knocked out and is now Point nightclub. An absolute belter of a film, especially as a young lad. All sorts going on, big green and yellow images on the screen. Dark, loud, packed, penis through the popcorn box, all the good stuff that makes the cinema going experience. I remember buzzing coming away thinking "I hope they have the figures in the shop at Christmas, because I'm rebooking that finish."

I used to always enjoy going to the cinema with the school because you always went to see stuff you wouldnt really want to go and see yourself. Like Midsummer Nights Dream in 99/2000, which me and a mate walked out of and snuck into see Doug. The only ever time I went all Bart Simpson and watched a film I didnt pay for. I didnt even want to see Doug, but teenage rebellion was running high. So we decided to watch Doug, like the hardcases we were.

The worst cinema going experience was when we went to see Nutty Professor II - The Klumps. Fucking dreadful. This was in the days of the internet, but not where I'd be super clued up on everything that ever happened within a second of it being announced. We'd went to see Gladiator, and in the lobby there was a big Standee of Eddie Murphy and his 6 dopplegangers. And the first one was class, so we went to see it soon after. It was shite.

I’m not playing. 

Edit: whoever mentioned Batteries Not Included has my eyernal gratitude. I have spent years trying to remember this film.

My family have been pestered for years by me asking about this. Is there a scene where a black man breaks one of them by mistake and cries, then it gets fixed? 

I think it's the hispanic son of one of the residents. Fairly sure his name was Ricky and he was meant to be some sort of low level gangster hits it with a bat and then the black man fixes it. Used to be telly all the time that movie, it was shocking when I watched it as an adult how much I had mis-remembered.

First trip to the cinema was apparently the local community one screen place to watch a rerun of the jungle book. I don't remember it but apparently didn't behave well. First one I remember was going to see The Little Mermaid in Bournemouth. Most notable was the unusual looking brand new Asda that caught my attention with it's wow factor. 28 years later the thing is a fucking eyesore but holds a place in my heart because of that trip to the cinema. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

The first film I went to see in the cinema was Mr. Nanny, brother. Pretty sure the next two were the live action version of The Flintstones and then a matinee screening of Mrs. Doubtfire. 

Almost snap! These were among the first films I saw, but the very first one was Stay Tuned. It's largely forgotten but I remember loving it. 

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

I’m not playing. 

Edit: whoever mentioned Batteries Not Included has my eyernal gratitude. I have spent years trying to remember this film.

My family have been pestered for years by me asking about this. Is there a scene where a black man breaks one of them by mistake and cries, then it gets fixed? 

Yes that's right. He doesn't speak much.

This was on hard rotation on TV in the 80s, I probably saw it 5 times in quick succession. 

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Almost snap! These were among the first films I saw, but the very first one was Stay Tuned. It's largely forgotten but I remember loving it. 

Stay Tuned is awesome. Also Captain Lou Albano is in it. That film was the first time I'd seen him and I couldn't work out what the hell that weird cheek-hoop piercing was.

• Paid Members

Funny to see so many mentions of The Flintstones. That was my little brother's first film. A few of you must be a similar age. The cinema went quiet after the curtains opened (remember curtains!) and he just yelled "Can we get a telly like that at home?" Remember him carrying this special bucket of popcorn that was nearly as big as he was. He munched it for two hours and didn't make a dent in it. Great memories. Great thread.

Archived