First trip to the cinema

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Super Mario Brothers, and given around the same time I'd have seen Jurassic Park it's odd I remember the shit Mario Bros but not what little I stayed awake for of Jurassic Park. 

First film I really remember though was The Pagemaster, which I remember really well for saying it's a bit crap. That said if Super Mario Brothers is your start point it's all up hill. 

We always went on holiday to a really old cinema in the nearest town and saw something. It was all red velvet and really steep and narrow in each screen.

Wasn't my first cinema trip but I have clear memories of a rainy family holiday spent mainly in the cinema and the 3 films we watched were Super Mario Brothers, Jurassic Park and Last Action Hero. Good times (My dad still hates me for having to see Super Mario Brothers)

I've just gone through lists and the earliest one i can remember watching seems to be Superman 4: The Quest for Peace, which was 1987 so would make me about 5, which seems right. I really wish it was something better, I might complain to my dad.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to those of you for whom Jurassic Park was your first movie, you peaked early as they don't get much better than that.

The first film I definitely remember seeing was Young Sherlock Holmes (1985).  And the same year I saw Biggles.  There's a scene in Biggles where he puts his hand through a person's frozen face so that sticks out more!  Also due to an error they showed the trailer for Rambo: First Blood Part 2 before it which looked bloody amazing to an 8 year old.

I must have been to the cinema before that but if so I have no memory of it.

Good thread idea!

Babe. The pain of Babe being taken away from his mum so she could be turned into sausages (thus saving us from veganism) was too much for me. 

I got bored and lost interest.

Slightly different note - when Jurassic park The Lost World came out, my family had a vote and decided to watch Bean instead. Never quite gotten over it.

First one I can remember (I must have been before and can't remember) was Return of the Jedi.  I'd had the figures of Luke and the Emporer (fan club exclusive at the time) for ages, we were on holiday in North Wales and went to the cinema on a rainy day.  I remember being worried it was going to be dubbed in Welsh, thanks in no small part to my dad winding me up about it on the way.  The same holiday in which he'd made me hide under a pile of coats while cruising the border to Wales because I didn't have a passport. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

We used to have a cracking Odeon that now sits there as an empty shell. 

Someone recommended that YouTube video to me the other day. Proper eerie like something from Fallout, I can't believe it hasn't been cleared out- it's been closed for about 15 years hasn't it? The MGM/Virgin opening across the town killed that little cinema. My teenage years were spent alternating between the two. The Odeon wasn't for dates because it was cheaper, you had to take your girl to the nice flicks if you wanted a frenchie.

My first few cinema trips were at a cinema at Waltham Cross that no longer exists. I think my parents took me to see Bambi and Snow White (when they used to re-release Disney movies), but the first new release I saw was The Rescuers with my uncle. I remember fuck all.

The first 18 I saw was American Beauty at the now-Cineworld in Harlow. I was 16 and looked even younger, so me and my friends knew it wasn't likely to be a success. However, we ingeniously confused the attendants by ordering a family ticket- which meant I had to pretend be under 14 whilst simultaneously pretending to be 18. They couldn't get their head around it and just let us through.

First 12: Clueless (awesome)

First 15: Anaconda (fucking wank)

• Paid Members

My first cinema experience, and most of my childhood cinema experiences, took place at the Coronet Cinema on Turnpike Lane. It's no longer there, but was the cinema that was local to me before Hollywood Green and Vue opened up years later.

images(7).jpg

This location is now home to Turnpike Lane bus station. It was always a little run down but I remember going as a kid to watch some Disney films, one of the re-releases/remasters of A New Hope, Jurassic Park and The Santa Claus are all my earliest cinema memories. My great grandmother mainly used to take me, although I went once or twice with my mum. Afterward, we'd go to the Burger King nearby and I'd get a crown and a kids meal.

I miss those days.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Yeah, closed in 2005.  There's tons of rumours as to why it's being left to rot.

Ahhh yes I heard one. Something about the owner (who used to own Pole Cats) is letting it rot to spite the local council after they refused a license to turn it into a strip club?

The Harvey Centre one is ace. I love the sparkly black marble look.

• Paid Members

What a magic thread.

I really don't know if it was my first, but my earliest memory is The Flintstones film. I do remember enjoying the fuck out of it.

The reason I started getting taken to the "pictures" as a kid was because my Mum and Dad decided to fuck each other off. So come Dad weekends, he'd take my wee brother and I to the cinema.

Genuinely, I was in awe if anything came at me at the cinema. Even the Richy Rich trailer.

We still occasionally bring up that my Dad was always saying to us "do you need a pee?" pre-film, only for me little brother to take the piss (Lolz) and decide he definitely needed a piss just as the film was hitting it's climax. That or slept during it.

The old cinema has always been a magical place of escapism since. Looking back, I think my old man took us there to to escape the weirdness of his own divorce; the awkwardness of having two young boys and what do you do. Nonetheless, the cinema has been a place I still enjoy since, and it's probably down to my old man that created the magic as a kid - that and the Unlimited pass.

• Awards Moderator

Nothing like a thread to make you feel really fucking old. The Flintstones! 

Same as @johnnyboyand @Harry Wiseau, Return of the Jedi for me. I can still distinctly remember the speeder bike chase through Endor being utterly exhilarating. It was at the ABC in Southend where my mum had seen the Beatles perform (!) some twenty years before.

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/new-empire-theatre-abc-cinema-southend-on-sea-essex-october-2014.92680/

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

The reason I started getting taken to the "pictures" as a kid was because my Mum and Dad decided to fuck each other off. So come Dad weekends, he'd take my wee brother and I to the cinema.

Exactly the same (barring the fact they never gor married so couldn't divorce).  It was about as cheap a day out as we could manage after we had grown bored of going to the (free) Bristol Docks Museum for the 80th time and that mattered a lot when Dad was really on the bones of his arse in the 90's. Sneaking in sandwiches and drinks to keep the costs down and staying for two films after paying for one were pretty standard.

I can still vividly remember the local adverts they had before the trailers. There was usually a furniture warehouse that came up that Dad swore 'was always burning down so the owners could claim on the insurance'. He's an odd bloke.

First time I can remember going to the cinema was when I was about 6 and going with my uncle fat Frankie (he was a helicopter mechanic for the Irish army, but was once in danger of losing his job as he was too heavy to fly in the chopper on test runs)  to see Cool Runnings in a cinema that no longer exists (Classic in Harolds Cross) think it's an office block now. My parents had just properly separated at the time and I think my da had sent Fat Frankie to keep an eye on my mam, which he achieved by taking me to the pictures and McDonalds every few weeks. Remember that Ace of Base song 'The Sign' playing on the in cinema radio before the film started, and being slightly nervous when the lights went out. Also remember seeing Homeward Bound around this time.

Archived