Away from the ring matches

tiger_rick

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Survival Tobita's promotion not always using a ring gives them plenty of opportunity for inclusion, but my I always loved the match between a table and a ladder.

I do have an Occupation of the Indies DVD where Survival Tobita fights a monster in a river, but it doesn't appear to be on Youtube. However speaking of rivers Terry Funk vs Stan Hansen deserves an honorable mention despite starting in a ring, since it's possibly the only match in history where a wrestler was disqualified for body slamming his opponent in a river.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Considering how often they name check UFC in Heyman promos, I'm really surprised they haven't brought the Lion's Den match back for Lesnar, could even be used for a Rousey feud if they wished

The problem is that they always did those Lion Den matches in smaller venues nearby. As two of the biggest attractions in the company, they wouldn’t want either Lesnar or Rousey not appearing in front of the proper live crowd.

I guess they could put the cage near the ramp? It’d feel a bit weird though. 

I’ve never watched it back but I remember loving Owen Hart and Ken Sharock smashing each other into the walls and ceiling of the Hart Family Dungeon.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Supremo said:

The problem is that they always did those Lion Den matches in smaller venues nearby. 

They only did that at SummerSlam 98. Both Shamrock/Blackman at SummerSlam 99 and Shamrock/Vince on Raw were ramp-adjacent.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Also, Lawler vs. Funk, empty arena match. Iconic.

This came to mind immediately on seeing the thread title. One of my all-time favourite matches, with masterful performances from Funk, Lawler and Lance Russell, and brilliant use of the mechanics of television to sell the match (the tape cutting too early and catching Russell with a fag on, etc.)

I have to give a mention to Gatoh Move in this thread. Matches on mats in a tiny Japanese pharmacy.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Oh really?! I’ve completely misremembered that, then! 

So had I to be fair. I was going to mention that it needed to be in the arena when I had a quick look as the McMahon/Shamrock "match" to refresh my memory and realised it was in the arena. Obviously just an issue with old MSG.

31 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

This came to mind immediately on seeing the thread title. One of my all-time favourite matches, with masterful performances from Funk, Lawler and Lance Russell, and brilliant use of the mechanics of television to sell the match (the tape cutting too early and catching Russell with a fag on, etc.)

I have to give a mention to Gatoh Move in this thread. Matches on mats in a tiny Japanese pharmacy.

Cool to see this. Read about it in @JNLister book recently and it just sounded mental. Good to see it is mental.

• Paid Members

Most recent DDT 'Street Wrestling' show I saw was an 8-man in a sports gym at a fitness centre. It started off on a mat (which was the 'ring'), then they brawled all over the room, including one guy being chucked off a balcony but landing on a trampoline and another doing a run-up onto one of those gymnastics launchers and doing about three somersaults into a splash. They then brawled upstairs to the weights and treadmill room and then upstairs to the five-a-side pitch on the roof where they had a penalty shootout before going back to the main hall where the finish involved one guy having to sell on the mat while another did a full on obstacle course circuit of the room (dribbling basketballs, slalom runs, etc) before a crossbody for the finish. Meanwhile Dansuke Dino was taking it in turns to bum the other opponents over a vaulting horse.

Archived