The NHL thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

The hockey season has started and I've purchased an NHL game pass for the first time after loving the couple of live games I attended last season (and because the other half is Canadian and a big Winnipeg Jets fan). 

Any other hockey fans here? Who do you support and why? Any thoughts on the season that has just kicked off?

Unsurprisingly, given my Red Sox fandom, I support the Bruins and we ought to have a good postseason shot this year. Pretty strong side and some good young players coming through like Ryan Donato. Saying that, we had an embarrassing 7-0 demolition by the hands of the (admittedly excellent) Capitals last night, which is about as poor as a season opener can get.  

I've been a Philadelphia Flyers fan since 1995.  I became a fan after my brother got NHL 95 on the Mega Drive.  I'd pick the flyers cause Rod Brind'Amour had 95 body checking and also cause of The Simpsons tree house of horror 4 episode when Devil Flanders introduces "the starting line of the 1976 Philadelphia Flyers" as part of the Jury of the Damned.

Even though we've improved on last season, I can't see us doing much better than elimination in the 1st round of the play offs, after just sneaking in, like we did the last few seasons.  I think the only thing of true significance we'll manage this season is haunting the dreams of young hockey fans with our new Mascot Gritty...

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Dolph Pigglers said:

I think the only thing of true significance we'll manage this season is haunting the dreams of young hockey fans with our new Mascot Gritty...

Sweet Mother of God, my eyes...

Image result for Gritty

Image result for Gritty

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Another Leafs fan here, and another because of EA games in the early 90s. 

We're in for an exciting ride this year, Keith! We'll either live up to expectations, or we'll crash and burn to the delight of every other group of fans!

4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Apologies for the wrong thread usage, sure there is a general one somewhere, but might go and see Coventry Blaze play Manchester Storm up here this season. Blaze used to be the best in the country!

I used to be a regular at the Cardiff Devils when I lived over there.  I now get down to the rink in Altrincham whenever I can. 

41 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

How is it?  I've never been there.

It's good.  Fun atmosphere, but try and sit as far to the back wall as you can.  The seats are set above the ice, so sometimes your view can be obstructed which is a bit of a bitch, but they have small TV's you can watch if that happens. 

It's weird for me because when I moved from Cardiff, they'd just moved into the new arena which I never got to see the Devils play in.  The old building was a "planet ice" rink in a blue tent...I then go to my first Storm game and it's the same building just surrounded by metal sheets. 

Archived