Trivial Things That Annoy You...

Michael_3165

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

People who replace their profile photos with pictures of their kids, especially an entire bloody sequence of them. Yes, you love your kids, but you are not them, and there was a person there before they were born.

My incredibly trivial one today is when they post their 'we have a baby now' announcement. No matter what details are included in the post, it invariably ends with "we are smitten" or "we're in love" or "we are besotted". It's the most state-the-obvious unnecessary thing. Nobody's going to write "we're a bit disappointed to be honest, but there it is, we'll have to make do" are they?

I am aware this barely qualifies as an annoyance.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Usually from people on quiz shows but also used in general, "Oh that was a bit before my time" is such bullshit.  Some total plank was on an antiques quiz show today and said that 80s music was before his time.  Oh and antiques aren't?

This always comes up in pub quizzes, when there's a music or movie question.

"Oh, I wouldn't know that, it's before my time".

Obviously, yeah, it's not like they fucking recorded it or anything.

Contestants on Pointless who say "It's not my strong point" when a subject comes up. Every. Single. Day.

Also contestants who've been told they're safely through to the next round even if the next answer they give is wrong, who then proceed to say "Well I think I know one of the more obscure ones [which could add ÂŁ250 to the jackpot], but I'm going to play it safe and go with..."

8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

This always comes up in pub quizzes, when there's a music or movie question.

"Oh, I wouldn't know that, it's before my time".

Obviously, yeah, it's not like they fucking recorded it or anything.

I usually ask them who won the World Cup in 1966. "Oh but that's different"

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Usually from people on quiz shows but also used in general, "Oh that was a bit before my time" is such bullshit.  Some total plank was on an antiques quiz show today and said that 80s music was before his time.  Oh and antiques aren't?

I remember seeing an episode of The Chase (I know, I know) where one woman kept saying that, and Anne Hegarty lost it and just said "How about you try reading books?"

20 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Contestants on Pointless who say "It's not my strong point" when a subject comes up. Every. Single. Day.

Also contestants who've been told they're safely through to the next round even if the next answer they give is wrong, who then proceed to say "Well I think I know one of the more obscure ones [which could add £250 to the jackpot], but I'm going to play it safe and go with..."

Whoever has the best record goes first in the head to head though, can make all the difference.

20 hours ago, Grecian said:

I'll chuck in 'Horizon-scan' and 'Let's take this offline' from work, both of which my prick of a boss says.

The word 'chillax', and whichever git taught my children to say it.

Paul Hollywood's handshakes on Bake Off and why my wife has to yelp in excitement whenever he shakes anyone's hand.

I beg your pardon? What the hell is this?

Characters in films/TV programmes (often cops or authority figures) saying "I need you to..." I don't know exactly when it started, but it seems to be in everything I watch now. The Rock says it in Skyscraper when he's instructing his wife how to stop the lift from hitting the ground: "I need you to push this button..." Why not just say, "Push this button"? It's such a whiny little phrase.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

This. Every day at work - "I'm sorry to bother you, I know you're really busy..." or "I'm sorry to bother you, I know you're on lunch...", which is invariably followed by, "but could you just do/help me do this menial task". You're not sorry you're bothering me, and acknowledging that I'm already busy doing make me any less busy or give me any more time to do what you're asking me.

I have a guy who starts every conversation with it. I just say "No you're not, carry on". He still does it. And another who always starts with "I know you're busy but..." If you know I'm busy, don't fucking bother me. I'll never get my fantasy booking competition entry done at this rate!

20 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Count yourself lucky you aren't a boxing fan.  Loads of out of shape blokes throwing jabs and straights at an invisible opponent to coach the athlete in the ring.

I thought that was just the front row at the boxing, which in fairness is normally a lot of other boxers/ex-boxers, until I went to the boxing and realised every fat cunt there thinks they're the old fella from Rocky. Did laugh at the great advice "Punch him in the head" though.

20 hours ago, Grecian said:

Paul Hollywood's handshakes on Bake Off and why my wife has to yelp in excitement whenever he shakes anyone's hand.

Yes! I really enjoy bake off but my missus does my box in. "Go on, give him a handshake" Who fucking cares?

• Paid Members

People who post pictures of their kids on social media but always - and I mean always - with a Snapchat filter on them. Surely one day these parents, or the children themselves, will want to see some pictures of these kids without bunny ears or whatever the fuck?

Another from me...

Meetings generally. I used to sit in these things all day, wondering WTF the whole thing was about and why everyone needed to be there. As I got used to the role I'd just get up half way through and walk out. If you need a meeting to discuss a meeting, about a meeting for a meeting about getting catering for a meeting then you have lost me. In public services (my area of work) it is rife and I have no time for it. Same as meetings that have a load of people all batting around ideas where the right, simple and bloody obvious answer is eventually agreed upon anyway. I 'get' the whole need to include people and make them feel part of the change process but holy fuck just make the damn decision! 

People who have to justify their jobs by bringing out another data set that has to be worked on and given to a senior team to pour over for a few weeks leading to NO action. Then trying to change a system that works, making a hash of it and going back to the original way anyway. The NHS for example is rife with this bullshit.

When people post 'enlightened' posts on social media. Or those that post those 'I am a tough fucker who gets up when I get knocked down' type memes on Facebook. Then you see the face to face and there is always some big drama, not the calm, composed 'live each day as it comes' type of tosh that they post online. Agh

Edited by Michael_3165

26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I beg your pardon? What the hell is this?

It's looking ahead and figuring out what problems are going to be in the future. I hear it in every team meeting, emails... 'Let's finish with a quick horizon scan for the week ahead, shall we?'