Trivial Things That Annoy You...

Michael_3165

• Paid Members

I can't stand non words used by football commentators. "Sighter" being the latest.

13 minutes ago, W35ty said:

It became a common term after The Fappening in 2014.

Objection! Some of us were fapping long before we saw Lawros tits.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Glenryck Pilchards said:

When you go to the pub and ask for a Coke and they reply "Is Pepsi alright?" 

I like that people are so conditoned with this they don't really listen. I'll ask for cola alot, especially when I first got back to the UK as I'd got used to doing it, and still being asked if Pepsi is OK always made me smile. 

In much the same way some mornings my boss will ask how I am and just for my own amusement in my response I won't ask how he is but still get an answer like I have because he's not really listening. 

Rich Hall did a stand-up bit about Coke and Pepsi, saying how they spend millions and millions to establish and market their individual brands so there is such a massive distinction for it to end up with "Can I have a double cheeseburger, erm, large fries, a Coke, erm.." "We only have Pepsi"  "Whatever, some onion rings"

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Why don't you do what we do and just get everyone to bring a white top and a dark one?

Because some cunt will turn up in his new West Ham shirt and claim it 'sort of fits with the agreed colours' when it doesn't, which is then carte blanche for everyone to bring whatever the fuck they want the following week.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

That's an internet thing, I think. I'd never heard it until visiting imageboards in the mid 00's, it trickled into everyday vernacular a few years later just like "epic" or "fail" did.

Yeah, you might be right there. I hadn't really thought about it, I just assumed it's something I've been saying since I was about 10. Fap seems like onomatopoeia to me which is probably why it's kept with me. Wanking and tossing off are funnier to say though when I think about it.

7 hours ago, Glenryck Pilchards said:

When you go to the pub and ask for a Coke and they reply "Is Pepsi alright?" 

Of course it fucking is just pour me a bloody drink. Even worse some of the chain pubs now don't do full fat Coke or Pepsi now due to the sugar tax. For some ungodly reason Diet and Zero sugar versions of Cola give me crippling wind and I refuse to drink them because of it, so if other pubs are going to continue this trend they are only going to encourage me to drink drive. 

Having worked in bars/restaurants you would be surprised how many people would complain if given a Pepsi instead of a Coke. So I can understand why people cover themselves. Especially in this day and age where any little thing can be jumped on and turned into a major complaint.

I agree with the sugar tax thing though, Subway, TGI Fridays, Pizza Hut to name three 'popular' chains just do the diet/sugar free options on the fizzy tap. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

The reason is people. People are the reason there always has to be a disclaimer or a double-check. people are the reason coffee cups have to have "Warning: Contents hot" on them and irons have to come with the instructions "Do not iron clothes while wearing them".

It's to avoid lawsuits. It's always painted as either a "health and safety gone mad" issue, or a "people are so stupid we have to tell them that coffee is hot" thing, but it's companies covering their backs for any potential frivolous lawsuit.

The coffee one in particular was played for laughs when McDonalds were sued for not having a warning on one of their cups, but what actually happened was that the coffee was hot enough to cause second or third degree burns (80+ degrees), and McDonalds had already paid out plenty of settlements.

I'm not sure who's been ironing pants they're wearing, though,

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, TheBurningRed said:

Football commentators and pundits saying country mile and unplayable really annoy me. And what is the difference between a country mile and your usual mile anyway? 

"Country mile" is a 19th century idiom. It refers to how distance can be deceptively longer on a winding country road when compared to straight roads in cities, so it takes longer to travel a country mile than a city mile. 

• Paid Members

Irritating things that football pundits and commentators say requires its own thread. Every time I have to hear that gormless twat Phil Neville say some combination of "sensational", "absolutely", "unbelievable" and "incredible", I'm yearning for the muffled embrace of permanent deafness. 

Edited by Gus Mears