Trivial Things That Annoy You...

Michael_3165

• Paid Members

I've thought Halloween is shit since I ran into a tree at a party once while I had vampire fangs in, causing me to have to go to hospital to have various bits of my face stitched back together. 

"Blimey, is that fake blood?"

*Me mumbling:

"Call an ambulance please". 

Edited by Gus Mears

I have never done trick or treating, as it was ingrained to us that it was begging and not really appropriate behaviour (at least that what I was told).

We even used to go to Pizza Express as a family to avoid trick or treaters on Halloween night, even when my sister and I were still in primary school. Only got egged the once!

I'm quite lucky in that I live in a nice little village (with some good values) and there seems to be this rule where if you haven't got decs displayed or your outside light on then you won't get knocked (a rule 95% of kids keep too). My next door neighbours has the creepy music, front door open and they both dress up and make an evening of it. I remember when I was a kid there was a house near mine who used to give us yogurt instead of sweets...imagine my horror although I suppose its again ahead of the curve and will probably be a thing in the next 10 years as we all go into healthy eating.

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Briefcase said:

I'm quite lucky in that I live in a nice little village (with some good values) and there seems to be this rule where if you haven't got decs displayed or your outside light on then you won't get knocked (a rule 95% of kids keep too). My next door neighbours has the creepy music, front door open and they both dress up and make an evening of it. I remember when I was a kid there was a house near mine who used to give us yogurt instead of sweets...imagine my horror although I suppose its again ahead of the curve and will probably be a thing in the next 10 years as we all go into healthy eating.

You should make all the kids a cup of tea. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

I remember when I was a kid there was a house near mine who used to give us yogurt instead of sweets...imagine my horror although I suppose its again ahead of the curve and will probably be a thing in the next 10 years as we all go into healthy eating.

Apparently, by 2030 all sweets given out at Halloween will be strictly vegan.

• Paid Members

My parents always hated Trick or Treating, so I only did it a couple of times. They thought it was an Americanism, and a waste of time, but two of the lads in the village were half-American, and got really into it, so I tagged along with them. Can't remember what I wore, probably just a naff plastic mask.

Otherwise, the only kids doing it were proper wrong'uns - I remember walking to my Gran's house the next day one year, and seeing that every house but one had been egged and toilet papered, and the genius who lived there obviously hadn't realised how obvious he'd made it. Same prick, as an adult, tried breaking into my grandparents' shed while my Gran was dying in hospital, and eventually got arrested for an acid attack.

Getting dressed up at home, for kids coming to your house? Fuck that. Same for excessive outside decorations - a pumpkin on the porch if you've got one, that's enough. Same for Christmas decs, though - before I moved to Jersey, I'd never seen anyone with outdoor Christmas decorations beyond a few standard Christmas lights. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I was in that generation that grew up just before the ones that were told Trick-or-Treating was normal - it was impressed upon me, not just by personal acquaintances, but also by media commentators, that it's a crap tradition that teaches kids entitlement and begging behaviour, bothering people they wouldn't normally have much contact with.

I don't mind the idea so much; adults being kind to children who are having fun is no bad thing. But one of the particular problems with living in London is that people don't really get to know their neighbours much any more (in large part, down to greedy landlords who chop up their buildings into increasingly small units for maximum rent, leading to most local populations being transient), and as such kids who do Trick-or-Treat will be asking complete and utter strangers for sweets, which can be worrying on both sides of the interaction.

• Paid Members

Love me some Halloween. I'm a massive ICP fan and its always been a big connection to them. I'd be over the moon if we embraced it like the yanks do. 

Scary movies, pumpkin carving and a shit ton of left over sweets. What's not to love?

(I live in a very quiet estate so our house has never been egged or bog rolled which I appreciate might be off putting for some)