Trivial Things That Annoy You...

Michael_3165

7 hours ago, David said:

Octopi. 

Octopuses is the correct plural noun, but only a bounder would point such a thing out. How often does it come up, anyway? "I was at the zoo yesterday and saw some delightful..." It's a bit like quibbling over whether it's "You've got another thing/think coming" or "begging the question" vs merely raising it. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

I'll throw you a bone. What meat is eaten a shit load of in Ireland since forever and is a massive part of a jumbo breakfast roll?

Apart from the two eggs, two sausages and two pudding (one black, one white)?

Edited by Accident Prone

1 hour ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Octopuses is the correct plural noun, but only a bounder would point such a thing out. How often does it come up, anyway? "I was at the zoo yesterday and saw some delightful..." It's a bit like quibbling over whether it's "You've got another thing/think coming" or "begging the question" vs merely raising it. 

Hang on, wait. That's not quibbling over minutae, that's one person missing a fundamental, Stickle Bricks level grasp of English.

17 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Hang on, wait. That's not quibbling over minutae, that's one person missing a fundamental, Stickle Bricks level grasp of English.

To your bait I shall not rise, sir! People who affect an air of superiority over such trifles (not you) are far more of an annoyance than people who get it wrong in the first place. It's pure Cliff Clavinism.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Brewster McCloud said:

Octopodes. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, scratchdj said:

Having just had this happen, and then realising it really annoys me, I’d like to add shop assistants that place your receipt into your open hand and then your change on top of it.

You then have to walk away from the counter with lots of little bits of money balancing on a small paper tray without dropping it all before you can slide it into your wallet.

There's a special place in hell for people who do that! 

23 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

You then have to walk away from the counter with lots of little bits of money balancing on a small paper tray without dropping it all before you can slide it into your wallet.

Is the receipt so thick that you can't make a fist around it?

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

You're crap at being Irish if you don't mate. I could go on the foreign births register and choose not to as I dont feel Irish, but even I know the Pig Ireland connection.

I'll throw you a bone. What meat is eaten a shit load of in Ireland since forever and is a massive part of a jumbo breakfast roll?

Oh, this I knew. I thought he was making a reference to me taking a pig as my lover or something.

My family in Ireland mainly farmed cattle and sometimes sheep. I'm not sure about pigs - I think another family down the way did though.

24 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Oh, this I knew. I thought he was making a reference to me taking a pig as my lover or something.

Oh christ, no. Sincerest apologies if you thought that was a dig at your partner or anything like that.  It's the classic "Stage Irish" trope.  Like the time Pauline Fowler went to Ireland and everyone said "Begorrah" all the time, or on Star Trek Next Gen when they rescued a bunch of Micks (Chief O'Brien voiced his distain at this episode for the way it portrayed our people)