• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I mean, these six matches are brilliant:

VS Eddie Guerrero, British Revival

VS Jody Fleisch, British Revival

VS Christopher Daniels, FWA Crunch

VS Low-Ki, Christopher Daniels, Spanky/Brian Kendrick (four-way 60 minute iron man match), ROH Crowning a Champion

VS Jerry Lynn, FWA British Uprising

VS AJ Styles & Jerry Lynn (triple threat) FWA Season's Beatings

And that's just a handful of his matches from 2002!

• Paid Members

Doug is genuinely one of my top 5 favourite wrestlers of all time. Although I first saw him at WrestleXpress, and then got to know him as an FWA guy, I consider it good fortune that he was a regular with WAW and therefore I got to see him often locally.

It’s at a WAW show that I saw what is my favourite Doug match, a “submissions only, maximum 5-rope breaks” contest against Flash Barker, which was almost shoot-style. As could be expected with those two, they told a cracking story within those parameters.

Hugely influential wrestler, seems like a top bloke, always good for a thumbs up if you went mental for him when his music hit. Enjoy your retirement, Dougy.

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

I mean, these six matches are brilliant:

VS Eddie Guerrero, British Revival

I'm sure it was Doug who said he was disappointed with this match.
Not that he thought it was bad, just that due to it being their first time working each other they didn't really click and both were capable of better.
I thought it was really good, personally, but it was probably just a performer being critical of their work.

I just watched the Guerrero match, and I think it is a brilliant match and I love the finish. However both have had better matches, it was just short as part of a tournament match. In reality it should have headlined a show and gone an extra few minutes. He probably looks back and sees it as a missed chance to have an amazing match with Eddie.

I first saw Doug in around 99 or 2000 and he was just awesome. He looked good, his stuff while simple in it's own way just clicked so well and was amazing to watch. He knew how to work a match and draw you in. I personally don't think there has been a British wrestler as good in my lifetime and we have some top notch wrestlers in Britain at the moment. If he was 10-15 years younger I think he would have been in NXT/WWE or fighting in the G1 with New Japan. 

Some may doubt how good he was but he truly was as that good. His matches were just exciting, if you have not watched any of his FWA, Noah or RoH stuff then I suggest you search on you tube for it. There was some good stuff on Impact too.  

• Paid Members

He's fantastic. Whenever he was advertised on a show you knew you were going to see  a good match. He was ubiquitous,but it was because he was so good.

• Paid Members

Had a good cry at the end of the match at Wembley on Sunday when he lost. Genuine emotion. I'm not ashamed.

On the way to Manchester in May for the show where he won the Progress ATLAS title, we were on the same train up and I had the privilege of him putting up with my company for an hour. 

What a man. What a wrestler.

A lot of them are probably a google away on youtube or dailymotion, I plan to watch the Chris Daniels match in ROH, the Eddie match in FWA, the Alex Shelley match in EWP and the Nigel McGuinness match in wXw over the next week or so

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Didn't he co main event @DEFs wedding, or was it someone else?

Yep he certainly did. One of my a favourite matches for obvious reasons. But also a hell of a nice guy. Let me talk at him for ages until I had to to be dragged away for the speaches.

I'm really sad he's retired purely because I loved to watch him wrestle. I don't think I ever saw him have a bad match. My first exposure to him was WrestleXpress. But of course he was absolutely magic in the FWA. Vs Jerry Lynn at British Uprising was an absolute dream match for me at the time.

Doug was the pre-interval match on my first ever Britwres show way back in 2002. I think he wrestled someone Angel, Adam or Andy. Doug was the heel but even then it was clear he was a step above a lot of the people on the show. I can really only remember him and Robbie Brookside from that card now. In a way it was those two that got me into British Wrestling and Doug was a big part of me getting into US Indy wrestling and even later the Japanese scene. I certainly wouldnt have bought copies of Glory by Honor 2002 and Scramble Madness 2002 if it wasn't for Doug being on the card. I watched the latter which was almost an ROH B show multiple times back then, Doug wrestled the now Daniel Bryan in I think the 2nd of their 3 major match ups back then (no idea how many they had).

Doug had the fantastic ability to be almost 2 wrestlers, the hammy Britwres guy for a family friendly Sunday afternoon and then the more serious beloved technical guy. I actually used to enjoy seeing him be the pantomime heel and slowly as the match went on mix in more technical wrestling  getting more serious. He would often do this in his All Star matches in Southampton. One time springs to mind where he started the match at the ring announcements by asking the MC to tell everyone to be quiet because he had an ear infection. It's something me and my friends still remember to this day. 

Of course his more serious in-ring work speaks for itself and I think others have done a great job talking about it. Better than I can do but his character work being mixed in is what i'll remember.

On a side note back in my teenage years we were outside the guildhall waiting for a show to start and just as one of my friends threw a haribo fried egg at another they ducked and it hit Doug square in the face. Luckily he didn't see where it came from but if you read this Doug and remember it from 2003 we are very very sorry!

Archived