What are you looking forward to in Wrestling?

Bus Surfer

Oh yeah I totally get how one storyline or segment in a whole show can hold your interest and you want to see how it pans out, but if nothing for weeks on end interests you, stop watching.  There are plenty of other options out there for your wrestling fix.  Then if something sounds good enough for you to dip your toe back in at a later date, great! 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

WWE is a universe. I hate myself for saying that, but it's the truth. It's not like giving up on Prison Break after season 2, it's far more comparable to video games. There's been periods where there's been nothing coming out on PlayStation that has interested me. Periods where I've been bummed out by certain facets of modern video gaming. But I still basically love PlayStation, and dip into the back catalog whilst waiting for the good stuff to come every now and then with the current product. 

I think anyone who doesn't understand why someone would have their toes still in WWE whilst not liking the current product is either really not trying hard enough, or they're kidding themselves because of some weird preoccupation they have with the fans moreso than the product. Complaining about it constantly whilst you pay hundreds if not thousands to go to the shows all year and you do force yourself to watch three hours of Raw each week is another story. I can still see how the obsession can't really be broke with those people, however toxic I generally find that approach to wasting your own time. 

I think the point being made is it's so fucking easy to find alternatives today, you don't have to piss about trading tapes or anything, theres such a vast amount of stuff online, most of it free. It's like if I ate at McD's regularly for a decade, then they change the recipe or menu to something I don't like, I'd go elsewhere. Doesn't mean I'll never eat there again or that I won't be a cheeky cunt and nick my mate's fries when they get one.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Pipe bomb.

Fixed.

10 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Taker bringing back the biker character

That's not happening at this point. I wouldn't be shocked if vs HHH, Taker/Kane vs DX and him vs HBK are his last three matches. Going back to Taker vs HBK only makes sense in my head if its both of their last matches, there's no point trying to follow that or risking anything less huge being his last match ever.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

I think the point being made is it's so fucking easy to find alternatives today, you don't have to piss about trading tapes or anything, theres such a vast amount of stuff online, most of it free. It's like if I ate at McD's regularly for a decade, then they change the recipe or menu to something I don't like, I'd go elsewhere. Doesn't mean I'll never eat there again or that I won't be a cheeky cunt and nick my mate's fries when they get one.

What alternative is there to WWE that is the equivilent to the wrestling we fell in love with? Seriously? What the above completely ignores is that WRESTLING isn't a thing, it's massively different in it's forms. Personally, I couldn't give a shit how good NJPW supposedly is, I've never watched more than the odd great match for 20 years and never will. same with Indy wrestling and Lucha. If there was a promotion out there providing a great southern style product akin to Watts in the mid 80s, something comparable to the WWF or WCW in the late 80s or to either company a decade later then I'd take the point on board. There isn't. So lots of people who love their particular "flavour" of wrestling, get what they can from WWE.

I'm not actually watching that much at the moment, just keeping abreast. But I care, as is obvious from my posts on here, and I have an opinion on how they could better suit my tastes on all of their shows. I also accept that there are peaks and troughs with WWE and have been for the last 15 years. At times I've not watched for months, at others I've been hooked. Sure i will be again. I still watch a lot of wrestling, it's just old stuff I like because there is literally nothing outside of WWE I care one bit about right now.

But if your flavour is no longer on the menu, do you still order from that menu because it used to be?

EDIT - Should point out that I'm like you, Rick.  When I had the network practically everything I watched was the back catalogue.

5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

What alternative is there to WWE that is the equivilent to the wrestling we fell in love with? Seriously? What the above completely ignores is that WRESTLING isn't a thing, it's massively different in it's forms. Personally, I couldn't give a shit how good NJPW supposedly is, I've never watched more than the odd great match for 20 years and never will. same with Indy wrestling and Lucha. If there was a promotion out there providing a great southern style product akin to Watts in the mid 80s, something comparable to the WWF or WCW in the late 80s or to either company a decade later then I'd take the point on board. There isn't. So lots of people who love their particular "flavour" of wrestling, get what they can from WWE.

I'm not actually watching that much at the moment, just keeping abreast. But I care, as is obvious from my posts on here, and I have an opinion on how they could better suit my tastes on all of their shows. I also accept that there are peaks and troughs with WWE and have been for the last 15 years. At times I've not watched for months, at others I've been hooked. Sure i will be again. I still watch a lot of wrestling, it's just old stuff I like because there is literally nothing outside of WWE I care one bit about right now.

I mean, I can't relate as I got into indies very early on (you would too if you started  watching from 2004 Smackdown). if you want something as bombastic and big as peak WWF, then yeah the pickings are fairly slim. But a lot of it just sounds like you;ve drawn the curtains as far as wrestling is concerned. You like NXT? You'll probably think Evolve is decent. I'm not as big a current NJPW fan as others but it's more westernized and accessible than ever, and they do big shows in the States. Even something like All In last month. It's got to be worth a gander over seeing Dolph Ziggler in the same set every Monday and being annoyed about it, surely?

I like current WWE enough to watch their PPVs from a fairly detached perspective and just enjoy that for what it is, maybe I'll make the odd effort to catch a big episode like a post-Mania, but I'd go mad from the lack of variety if I didn't bother with anything else. I do envy your lack of a backlog, though. I've got promotions coming out of my arse now,

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

But if your flavour is no longer on the menu, do you still order from that menu because it used to be?

Pretty varied menu between Raw, Smackdown, NXT and 205 Live. Still plenty people like on that menu. Takeaway isn't closed yet.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I've mentioned it in a thread prior, but WXW has arguably the best 'sports entertainment' style presentation AND they're legit bloody great. Weekly TV show building to the big shows, character driven storylines and the crowd is loud where it counts. They're making great strides to overcome the language barrier but you won't care or notice once you're invested. The on-demand service uses Vimeo so It's much better than that PivotShare shite.

3 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

I mean, I can't relate as I got into indies very early on (you would too if you started  watching from 2004 Smackdown). if you want something as bombastic and big as peak WWF, then yeah the pickings are fairly slim. But a lot of it just sounds like you;ve drawn the curtains as far as wrestling is concerned. You like NXT? You'll probably think Evolve is decent. I'm not as big a current NJPW fan as others but it's more westernized and accessible than ever, and they do big shows in the States. Even something like All In last month. It's got to be worth a gander over seeing Dolph Ziggler in the same set every Monday and being annoyed about it, surely?

I'll encourage everyone and anyone to actively avoid EVOLVE. Awful product with woeful presentation despite having a decent roster. When people think of reasons why they won't like non-WWE, North American wrestling, EVOVLE encapsulates all of them.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

But a lot of it just sounds like you;ve drawn the curtains as far as wrestling is concerned.

I've been a fan for over thirty years. I've tried everything in that time and spent a whole lot of time and money doing it. I know what I like.

3 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

You like NXT? You'll probably think Evolve is decent.

I maybe would. But what is it bringing that NXT isn't, now or eventually?

Archived