Super Show-Down (Showdown? Show Down?)

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

WWE-Super-Show-Down-Poster.jpg

It's next weekend and the card is looking pretty tasty on paper, so why not give it a thread.

Triple H w/ Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker w/ Kane

The Shield vs Strowman, Ziggler & McIntyre

Cena & Lashley vs Owens & Elias

Daniel Bryan vs Miz in a #1 Contender's Match

Bellas & Rousey vs Riott Squad *presumably without Liv Morgan following this week's Raw

AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe for the WWE Title, No Countout, No DQ

Cedric Alexander vs Buddy Murphy for the Cruiserweight Title

Becky Lynch vs Charlotte Flair for the SmackDown Women's Title

New Day vs The Bar for the SmackDown Tag Titles

Asuka & Naomi vs The Iiconics

There's a few matches on there that aren't going to be very consequential - looking at the Cena and Undertaker matches particularly - but there's a few on there I'm looking forward to seeing.

Styles and Joe, presuming there is a conclusive finish this time, should be good to watch again, but it's actually the Cruiserweight Title match I'm most anticipating. Really hoping they go full on hometown hero with Buddy Murphy and give him a Summerslam 1992 big win in the Aussie stadium.

(It'll make up for the other Aussies getting squashed by Asuka and Naomi earlier in the night, too).

From looking at the time differences, I think - I think - it's on at 10am our time on Saturday 6th October. 

I think?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Like Saudiccade, this looks like a tasty "throw everything at it" event. I also really like the 10am start time as it fits really well with me.

Given AJ is closing in on CM Punk's title reign record - still a ways off, but closest than they've been in ages - will they want to prise that away from him? Even though the time feels right for Joe. Vince loves to eradicate black sheep from the record books.

5 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Like Saudiccade, this looks like a tasty "throw everything at it" event. I also really like the 10am start time as it fits really well with me.

Given AJ is closing in on CM Punk's title reign record - still a ways off, but closest than they've been in ages - will they want to prise that away from him? Even though the time feels right for Joe. Vince loves to eradicate black sheep from the record books.

How far off is he? I think I’m keener on an AJ vs Miz title feud than a Bryan vs Joe one.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

How far off is he? I think I’m keener on an AJ vs Miz title feud than a Bryan vs Joe one.

Punk won the title at a Survivors and lost it at a Rumble. Styles won his a little before Survivors, 7th November. I would in no way rule out AJ retaining until the Rumble so he presumably passes the record by a few days, and loses it to Miz at the Rumble.

Bryan wins the Rumble.

• Awards Moderator

I dunno. Wiki says "days recognised 435". Either way, long enough for them to declare AJ the new longest reigning champ of the modern era, or whatever tortured phrase they want to use.

Anyway, thread derailed. Agreed that Miz v AJ has loads of legs. Not sure how their styles (no pun intended) will mesh but Miz will say plenty of annoying things to get him irate which makes AJ's character work.

• Paid Members

Cena/Bobbo vs Elias/Owens isn't tickling my fancy. It's just there for the sake of a Cena pop really and won't have any long-term consequences. 

Moving back towards the family angle makes me think AJ retains. I would be well up for a Joe title reign and it's difficult to see where he goes from here if he doesn't walk away with the strap, but to put a babyfaces family through the ringer like that and not come out on top would be quite something. Match will obviously be fantastic mind you. 

Becky-Charlotte is WWE's best feud right now and the match I'm looking forward to seeing the most. Regardless of how you feel about the directions the characters have taken, it's compelling viewing. The Hell in a Cell bout was exactly what it needed to be in terms of it being the first part of a wider series of matches between them, so really looking forward to seeing how the second part plays out. 

Looking forward to seeing Buddy Murphy and the Iiconics on home turf. The CW title match has a lot of potential and they'd be mad not to capitalise on the massive hometown win for Murphy. 

I don't know how HHH/Undertaker will play out. You'd expect a lot of smoke and mirrors, and I guess now with the rumour mill swirling HBK becomes one of the more interesting factors of the proceedings. Hoping it delivers. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

I don't know how HHH/Undertaker will play out. You'd expect a lot of smoke and mirrors, and I guess now with the rumour mill swirling HBK becomes one of the more interesting factors of the proceedings. Hoping it delivers. 

Anything short of Kane chokeslamming Shawn through the Aussie comms table is going to be a letdown for me.

• Paid Members

That's a cracking gif, never seen that. That's how I imagine most of their creative meetings to be like. 

My theory behind that is purely for the news value and also the visual element - you want that stuff to at least spread out to local Aussie channels, potentially even national, and increase the post-event buzz. The other thing is the lasting visuals of 70,000 people popping (in theory). They won't give much of a shit about Murphy as an entity I'd imagine, but they'll be able to repackage those shots every time they do an Australia tour, whether it's non-televised or whether they make this Super Showdown a regular thing. 

Every chance they'll go the other direction and waste a golden opportunity, but as ever with WWE and their creative, it's more fun to hope, get disappointed, then hope again. They say it's the hope that kills you, but it's also the hope that makes it fun. 

Archived