Jump to content
Devon Malcolm

Little Tommy Robinson

Recommended Posts

Just now, Sergio Mendacious said:

I was recently in a a conservative tea shop, and I witnessed several grizzled Trump fans cutting up their red hats with pocketknives and singing the internationale, so it's swings and roundabouts, anecdotally.

Let's hope so, eh?¬†ūüėČ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, David said:

I guess we'll see what happens over the next year or so then, but you'd think the left would learn that palming off the far-right and those who are fronting it as a joke usually doesn't end well.

Which is why I advocate no platforming, it isn't palming them off, it's cutting them off. Tommeh is in it for the money, once that dries up, so does he.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Which is why I advocate no platforming, it isn't palming them off, it's cutting them off. Tommeh is in it for the money, once that dries up, so does he.

That's a bit of a grey area for me really. The idea of shutting down opinion or discussion because I don't like what he's saying is a bit much in my opinion, despite me wanting to throw my fucking cat at the screen any time he pops up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, David said:

That's a bit of a grey area for me really. The idea of shutting down opinion or discussion because I don't like what he's saying is a bit much in my opinion

It isn't shutting down discussion, it's stopping hate speech becoming mainstream and normalised.  He can still crow on in a Luton boozer to all his mates.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Which is why I advocate no platforming, it isn't palming them off, it's cutting them off. Tommeh is in it for the money, once that dries up, so does he.

Is ‚Äėno platforming‚Äô that clear cut?

I agree that being off Twitter has immensely hurt him, and would hurt Robinson and Hopkins in a similar way, but a lot of Milo’s support dwindled because of comments he made that basically endorsed underage sex abuse, which was too far even for the far right. 

I also remember the furore surrounding Nick Griffin’s appearance on Question Time, and what happened when he was given that platform? He was proved to be out of his depth, made a fool of himself by being conspiratorial and his ideas and beliefs were debunked and mocked in front of a national tv audience. The BNP is nowhere now compared to its resurgence in the early-2000's and you can't tell me this didn't have a part in it.

 

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It isn't shutting down discussion, it's stopping hate speech becoming mainstream and normalised.  He can still crow on in a Luton boozer to all his mates.  

Agreed. He's not owed a platform, just like so many others. As long as he's not arrested for spouting his views (provided they don't incite people to criminal offences like murder or assault), he can enjoy his FREEZE PEACH as much as he wants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Is ‚Äėno platforming‚Äô that clear cut?

I agree that being off Twitter has immensely hurt him, and would hurt Robinson and Hopkins in a similar way, but a lot of Milo’s support dwindled because of comments he made that basically endorsed underage sex abuse, which was too far even for the far right. 

I also remember the furore surrounding Nick Griffin’s appearance on Question Time, and what happened when he was given that platform? He was proved to be out of his depth, made a fool of himself by being conspiratorial and his ideas and belief were debunked and mocked in front of a national tv audience.

 

It's 50/50 as far as I can tell ‚ÄĒ Milo being pushed to the social media margins (I don't know if he was actually even kicked off of Gab) hurt his visibility, but so did the removal of a lot of support from the right for various reasons ‚ÄĒ the celebration of noncery, the "being a total gadfly," and the combination of his various downsides with his basic incompatibility with where the right wing wants to be; they love having a gay around to deflect criticism, but they don't like having him actually come over to their house for tea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It isn't shutting down discussion, it's stopping hate speech becoming mainstream and normalised.  He can still crow on in a Luton boozer to all his mates.  

It's all still a very grey area for me I'm afraid. The idea of chucking him off Twitter and Facebook and that'll make him go away isn't going to work long-term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Is ‚Äėno platforming‚Äô that clear cut?

I agree that being off Twitter has immensely hurt him, and would hurt Robinson and Hopkins in a similar way, but a lot of Milo’s support dwindled because of comments he made that basically endorsed underage sex abuse, which was too far even for the far right. 

I also remember the furore surrounding Nick Griffin’s appearance on Question Time, and what happened when he was given that platform? He was proved to be out of his depth, made a fool of himself by being conspiratorial and his ideas and beliefs were debunked and mocked in front of a national tv audience.

 

For me, Yes it is that clear cut.  A lot of Milo's followers said they were so because he championed free speech, however once he made the underage sex comments, they showed that they didn't support him because of free speech, they supported him because they liked what he said prior to that.  He still made a lot of money from speaking after that but once he was no platformed he went broke.

What happened after Griffin went on Question Time was he was able to portray the whole thing as an ambush and how he is right about the marxist media, he successfully played the victim and his supporters believed they were victims too.  After his appearance on there, the BNP got more votes in the next election than the previous one.  It was about 2 years after that appearance that the wheels came off and that was due to BNP rank and file not happy about the way he acted like a, well, fascist when it came to challenging his authority.

@David He will go away once the money dries up, then someone else will come along and the circle of fleecing continues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

A lot of Milo's followers said they were so because he championed free speech, however once he made the underage sex comments, they showed that they didn't support him because of free speech, they supported him because they liked what he said prior to that.

You sure though? I mean, if I was a supporter of someone for championing free speech, and they made comments about underage sex then I'd no longer support them regardless of my views on them championing free speech.

But, championing free speech would have been the reason i'd supported them in the past.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, David said:

You sure though? I mean, if I was a supporter of someone for championing free speech, and they made comments about underage sex then I'd no longer support them regardless of my views on them championing free speech.

But, championing free speech would have been the reason i'd supported them in the past.

 

But they didn't support his right to say it, therefore it wasn't about free speech.  That's how it works, it's an all or nothing deal. If you want to champion someones right to be free talking about noncing kids, then go for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

What happened after Griffin went on Question Time was he was able to portray the whole thing as an ambush and how he is right about the marxist media, he successfully played the victim and his supporters believed they were victims too. ¬†After his appearance on there, the BNP got more votes in the next ÔĽŅelection than the previous one.¬†

But they still, even after a global financial meltdown, didn't win a single seat.

If you deprive them of these excuses (we gave you a fair hearing, you have all the platforms everyone else has) there's no hiding or playing the victim - far right spin is remarkably transparent. 

 

EDIT - my 1,000th post on here is about the fucking BNP, cheers @Keith Houchen :D 

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

But they still, even after a global financial meltdown, didn't win a single seat.

Nor did they die overnight after Griffin being on Question Time, they actually got bigger. That was what I was addressing.  They were given a platform and that platform swelled their party.

Remember, posts in Off Topic don't count, so your 1000th would've been wrestling related!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×