Little Tommy Robinson

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Let's have a thread for this twat seeing as though he might be about to be sent down again.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/27/tommy-robinson-to-appear-at-old-bailey-for-fresh-contempt-of-court-hearing

That story claims 150 people turned out to support him although some people have a problem with zeroes, ironically enough.

Ā 

• Paid Members

Paul Golding & Jayda Fransen are going to be in court in Belfast soon as well for hate speech over in Northern Ireland. A lot of the stuff they're doing in Northern Ireland appears to be trying to stir up the troubles again. It just annoys me that the people who slide into the voids left by these people's prison tenures all try to make the offenders look like political prisoners rather than the thugs they actually are. I mean if you're in a position where you think Nigel Farage is a bit of a leftie then it's time for a long, hard look in the mirror.Ā 

• Paid Members

The mention of Jayda Fransen just puts me in mind of that tweet - I know it was debunked ages ago as a parody account, but I still love it:

jayda fransen parody dudley.jpg

Ā 

This era we're living in is horrendous. I have faith we'll eventually come through it, and all the neo-Nazis and racists will either grow a clue and not be cunts any more, or they'll crawl back under their rocks when this mass delusion fades.

Ideally, I want that shit Farage to finally get what's coming to him. The cunt's Teflon - he seems to just be able to brazen things out, no matter what emerges. He's like an even more right-wing version of Mandelson.

As to Tommy Robinson, he'll most likely end up like Colin Jordan did in the 60s. If you're asking "who?" that's my point. Colin Jordan was an outright neo-Nazi who has long since been forgotten, and Stephen Yaxley-Lennon will end up no different.

Edited by Carbomb

37 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

This era we're living in is horrendous. I have faith we'll eventually come through it, and all the neo-Nazis and racists will either grow a clue and not be cunts any more, or they'll crawl back under their rocks when this mass delusion fades.

I've said it before, and taken flack for it, but it won't ever go away. We're human, we've despised and hated on each other since the year dot for various reasons, be it skin colour, which imaginary man in the sky we happen to like, what part of the world we were born in, and latterly for money.

As long as people can make some coin and grab some power from one group of people hating another it's gonna keep happening, unfortunately.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, David said:

I've said it before, and taken flack for it, but it won't ever go away. We're human, we've despised and hated on each other since the year dot for various reasons, be it skin colour, which imaginary man in the sky we happen to like, what part of the world we were born in, and latterly for money.

As long as people can make some coin and grab some power from one group of people hating another it's gonna keep happening, unfortunately.

I'm not saying it'll ever go away; I agree that there has always been a nasty undertone to humanity, but I'm firmly of the belief that humans are fundamentally neither good nor evil - they're simply the products of circumstances and environment. People who have been deprived of security, peace of mind, health, etc., can often become the most vicious and evil creatures on the planet. Not always, but often. Conversely, when people feel truly safe, secure, provided for, etc., they can be truly noble, giving,Ā and generous - again, not always, but often.

When I look at the history of human civilisation, I lean towards optimism, because it feels like we're on an upward spiral: things move in circles, and the same shit comes round again and again, but even when it does, usually at least one thing isĀ better than before, if not more. That gives me cause for hope, but not complacency: there's still a lot of work to be done, and there's always the chance we'll end up blowing ourselves up before we do it.

Yeah, that's true. There's also the possibility that we hear more about the shit that's going on in the world due to the reach of social media and the internet these days. Maybe not so much a case of things getting worse, but just us seeing more of it nowadays.

There's always been Tommy Robinson's, it's just that in the past they didn't have the reach that they do now.Ā 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, that's true. There's also the possibility that we hear more about the shit that's going on in the world due to the reach of social media and the internet these days. Maybe not so much a case of things getting worse, but just us seeing more of it nowadays.

There's always been Tommy Robinson's, it's just that in the past they didn't have the reach that they do now.Ā 

It's part of why I'm a lot more optimistic: knowing is half the battle. "Awareness" is a word that gets thrown around cheaply these days, but it's still an important concept, because until people are truly aware of a problem, they can't really do anything about it. Modern media brings us a torrent of horrendousness, but it also outrages us enough to want to do something about it.Ā 

As Sir Humphrey says inĀ Yes, Prime Minister: "People will start talking about it, and do you know what will happen then? Eventually, they'll startĀ thinking about it!"

12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

It's part of why I'm a lot more optimistic: knowing is half the battle. "Awareness" is a word that gets thrown around cheaply these days, but it's still an important concept, because until people are truly aware of a problem, they can't really do anything about it. Modern media brings us a torrent of horrendousness, but it also outrages us enough to want to do something about it.Ā 

As Sir Humphrey says inĀ Yes, Prime Minister: "People will start talking about it, and do you know what will happen then? Eventually, they'll startĀ thinking about it!"

I guess so. I'm just a cynical sod when it comes to the human race, and I believe even less in the political and/or criminal justice system in this country.

That's why I haven't voted for years, and likely won't vote ever again.

• Paid Members

In addition to the Tommy Robinsons of the world having more reach now, I would say that movements get louder as they come to their end. While the surge to the far right that we've seen in recent years is a scary development, and I don't think we've seen the worst of it yet, I honestly believe that it's the symptoms of a scared, dying culture, not a sign of a resurgent one.

There was a quote, can't remember who from, that was something along the lines of, "why, when looking behind us we see constant progress, do we always look ahead and see ruin?". People, as a whole, tend towards pessimism, towards assuming that the worst of humanity in their time is symptomatic of anĀ overallĀ decline, when history shows that's rarely the case.

That's what I try and tell myself, anyway. In just world, Yaxley-Lennon would be a complete non-entity.

Edited by BomberPat

I generally prescribe to the notion that the world is getting better, not worse, so to me the whole "we're all a pack of bastards who are going to fuck things up for ourselves either way" narrative is a bit of a vague fart in the direction of so much worthwhile progress and advancement. I'm notĀ sixteen,Ā I don't think world peace is going to arbitrarily spring from Glastonbury in a few years time, but I can't help but find the whole doomy pragmatist approach a bit of a limp philosophy when so many people are working their arses off to try and improve things. It's worth having a crack at, even if there will always be war, greed and misery.Ā 

I won't paste it in here, because it's not really on topic, but Steven Pinker's Ted Talk is a pretty good starting point for a bit of optimism, if you want to see where I'm coming from. He briefly runs through how the world is improving in virtually every worthwhile metric, whilstĀ concurrent media coverage gets more and more pessimistic.Ā 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, David said:

I guess so. I'm just a cynical sod when it comes to the human race, and I believe even less in the political and/or criminal justice system in this country.

That's why I haven't voted for years, and likely won't vote ever again.

I don't have much faith either, but I do have some. I will always vote, at least so I can exercise my god-given right as a Briton to complain, if nothing else.

You could say though, that those doomy pragmatists are simply looking at how the people, in general, are feeling by way of voting patterns.

As an observer I was saddened, but not entirely surprised when we saw Bernie Sanders fail miserably and someone like Trump prove victorious. We've also got the Tories here, the fella in Turkey, Putin, the Korean chap and probably others that escape my mind at the moment.

With all this going on, you can forgive those who feel a bit despondent.

15 minutes ago, David said:

You could say though, that those doomy pragmatists are simply looking at how the people, in general, are feeling by way of voting patterns.

As an observer I was saddened, but not entirely surprised when we saw Bernie Sanders fail miserably and someone like Trump prove victorious. We've also got the Tories here, the fella in Turkey, Putin, the Korean chap and probably others that escape my mind at the moment.

With all this going on, you can forgive those who feel a bit despondent.

I can totally forgive those who feel despondent, but I can't abide by people on the extreme end who sit on their arseĀ all day and make out that everything's going to hell in a hand basket. They're just so utterly dreary and unwelcome in a discussion, when it's all they have to add. Someone suggested in work the other day that we are living in the most dangerous period since the crusades. It might have been uttered without much thought, but still. Come on to fuck.Ā 

Spikes in populism aside, the world has generally become a much more democratic place to live. There's certainly a storm to weather, but it's nothingĀ irremediable.

Wasn't it the democrats who stopped Bernie? I'd have liked to have seen how he done in direct competition with trump. Pipe dream, perhaps, but Trump's success was a shock to all of us, as well.Ā 

1 minute ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I can totally forgive those who feel despondent, but I can't abide by people on the extreme end who sit on their arseĀ all day and make out that everything's going to hell in a hand basket. They're just so utterly dreary and unwelcome in a discussion, when it's all they have to add. Someone suggested in work the other day that we are living in the most dangerous period since the crusades. It might have been uttered without much thought, but still. Come on to fuck.Ā 

Spikes in populism aside, the world has generally become a much more democratic place to live. There's certainly a storm to weather, but it's nothingĀ irremediable.

Wasn't it the democrats who stopped Bernie? I'd have liked to have seen how he done in direct competition with trump. Pipe dream, perhaps, but Trump's success was a shock to all of us, as well.Ā 

The whole thing is fucked. Fucked, IĀ tell ya!Ā šŸ˜‰