Who's your favourite movie creature? (No Andy Serkis)

Bellenda Carlisle

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a good book about this by John Landis, Monster's in the Movies. It's mostly pictures but it's also got interviews with Ray Harryhausen, Sam Raimi, John Carpenter and a few more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

• Paid Members

The Thing gets my vote. The fact that my jaw drops literally every time I've seen it puts in on another level.

I haven't watched any Ray Harryhausen stuff in years. Really should get at the very least Argonauts on Blu-ray. 

Another favourite is the epic transformation in American Werewolf in London.

american-werewolf-in-london-gif-7.gif

43 minutes ago, DEF said:

The Thing gets my vote. The fact that my jaw drops literally every time I've seen it puts in on another level.

I haven't watched any Ray Harryhausen stuff in years. Really should get at the very least Argonauts on Blu-ray. 

Another favourite is the epic transformation in American Werewolf in London.

american-werewolf-in-london-gif-7.gif

You can get Argonauts on Bluray at HMV as part of the Premium Collection, comes in a beautifully designed slip with a booklet and art cards for around £15

Surprised this thread has gone 2 pages without a mention of King Kong from the 1933 movie, the practical effect that started it all and still holds up today 85 years after the film's release

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

You can get Argonauts on Bluray at HMV as part of the Premium Collection, comes in a beautifully designed slip with a booklet and art cards for around £15

Cheers. I've got to do a bit of research on this one because there's also the Ray Harryhausen boxset volume 2 from Eureka which may be exactly the same as the one you mentioned as it's licensed from Sony but it also might be a 2k/4k restoration or something.

EDIT - My bad it's an Indicator boxset not Eureka

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, lars85 said:

There's a good book about this by John Landis, Monster's in the Movies. It's mostly pictures but it's also got interviews with Ray Harryhausen, Sam Raimi, John Carpenter and a few more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Yes, I recommend this book too. I read it cover to cover over a couple of months of visits to Waterstones, it's a great read.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

King Kong. Either 33, 76 or King Kong Lives. All were great in their own way, but I fell in love with Lives at 5 and my love of all things Kong began then.

2005 Kong is also great mind, if not a flawed film 

I'm not keen on Peter Jackson's king kong, the film is pretty boring and Kong looks too much like a normal gorilla. Loved him in Kong Skull island though 

• Paid Members

La Niña Medeiros from the final scene of the first REC film. I won't post an image in case you haven't seen it as that scene's sort of the payoff to the whole film but it's perhaps the most terrifying piece of cinema I've ever experienced, thanks in large part to both her appearance and the way it's shot.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I'm not keen on Peter Jackson's king kong, the film is pretty boring and Kong looks too much like a normal gorilla. Loved him in Kong Skull island though 

Kong - Skull Island is a belter. Probably my 2nd favorite now after the original 

• Paid Members

If we are talking creatures created using practical effects, I honestly don't think you can beat "The Thing" from John Carpenter's adaptation. The effects were great, and the idea of a creature who can take up any shape and is loose in such a small, unforgiving environment was truly unnerving...

Archived