Sign in to follow this  
UK Kat Von D

VeganMania

25 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

BK use Heinz mayo who don't make a vegan version. Setting up a new supplier relationship with a company to provide vegan mayo is probably cost prohibitive based on projected sales. Probably the opposite of poor planning in all honesty.

Don’t do a plant based burger if you can’t put a plant based sauce on it then.

They also could have just used ketchup.

Edited by UK Kat Von D

But it’s still a plant based burger! I never have sauce on mine anyway. 

11 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Don’t do a plant based burger if you can’t put a plant based sauce on it then.

They also could have just used ketchup.

You could’ve had a bean burger, a fish thing or a salad previously in Burger King. It’s really not hard to understand why they would’ve launched this burger.

I still think they’ve missed a trick but again, any step in the direction of reducing meat consumption is a good thing.

So I just went and bought a Rebel Whopper so you don’t have to. With good reason too. £5.19 for the burger on its own! 

anyway, my local is very quiet, so when I asked they said they do have a section of the broiler which they do and keep separate from the meat. The sign on the wall said it’s cooked on the same equipment where meat is cooked so it may not be suitable for vegetarians. Anyway, I’m sure most stores won’t do this but just sharing my experience.

10 minutes later and I’m out the door, whopper in bag. Opening it, yep definitely looks like a whopper. Thick Raw onion rings, lettuce and gerkins (I added Ketchup and asked for no Tomatoes).

Burger was fine. Probably the best I’ve had from the usual fast food places as they have no competition from McDonalds, but it was not as good as the US Impossible version I had last year.

At 50p more then a normal whopper, will it make none veggie/vegans try one? I dunno. But I don’t think it’s particularly good value, and despite the fact they said they cooked it on the same broiler as the beef, did lack the chargrilled flavour I remember. Good effort, but if I’m out and need junk food from a chain, KFC’s vegan better is a better, cheaper choice.

9B4AB24C-23A3-4F2E-AB33-FC7006FA5111.jpeg

18AE38B8-E559-40EB-BFE7-A1DB0DB3B72A.jpeg

Thanks for the review, Scorch.

Not far from me in Wood Green is a place @Chris B told me about, called Karamel - sort of a general bar/restaurant/venue place with a studio at the back. They're a full vegan place - all food and drink. Some of the best vegan food I've had has been off their menu, including a roast they do on Sundays which is lush. They also do Moving Mountain burgers, which I'm really intrigued by - @Kookoocachu has said they're the best vegan burgers ever, and I know a few others who've said the same, so I've got to get down there for lunch at some point.

I also had some amazing burgers at the Vegan Junk Food Cafe in Amsterdam.

Edited by Carbomb

26 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

So I just went and bought a Rebel Whopper so you don’t have to. With good reason too. £5.19 for the burger on its own! 

Burger King are having a laugh with all of their pricing. I paid £6.59 for whatever toss Steakhouse burger they've got at the minute. 

7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

They also do Moving Mountain burgers, which I'm really intrigued by - @Kookoocachu has said they're the best vegan burgers ever, and I know a few others who've said the same, so I've got to get down there for lunch at some point.

A lot of chains use Moving Mountains. Harvester certain did last time I went in one last year, and I believe TGI's and Frankie and Benny's do as well. If you go on the website it shows you all the places you can get their burgers in your area (and I think Sainsbury's have just started stocking some of their stuff as well). They are really good.

15 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

The Rebel Whopper has egg in the mayo, so it isn’t even plant based, because eggs aren’t a plant. 

There was an assistant catering manager where I work who told us she had gone veggie the week before. One of the bar staff said he had seen her eating chicken nuggets the day before and her response was that chicken didnt count as they lay vegetables.

She didnt last much longer at that job.

16 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

The Rebel Whopper has egg in the mayo, so it isn’t even plant based, because eggs aren’t a plant. It is a plant based patty prepared and served like a beef patty. Weird thing to do when everyone is trying to do it properly. 

I totally agree with you about the mayo, Gwyneth. If you want to market something as vegan friendly, it needs to actually not use animal products otherwise you're alienating your main target audience.

However, the grill thing is a bit ridiculous.  There's got to be a bit of give and take.  It's not like vegans have an allergy to meat where the merest hint of it will kill them (unless anyone legit has a meat allergy?).  Let the poor grill chef bang the patty on the same grill.

Oh and @Hannibal Scorch that "chargrilled flavour" is sprayed on.  So I guess they've decided not to bother with that step for vegans/veggies/flexitarians.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

It's not like vegans have an allergy to meat where the merest hint of it will kill them (unless anyone legit has a meat allergy?).

Well the idea of eating meat makes my feel physically sick. Have you ever seen a vegan accidentally eat meat? Doesn’t go down well

10 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Well the idea of eating meat makes my feel physically sick. Have you ever seen a vegan accidentally eat meat? Doesn’t go down well

I'm trying to say that one of my ex girlfriends had that issue, but everytime I try to phrase it I just end up with a not very subtle and unintended innuendo.

But yeah, I dont know if the juices would make her sick but actual meat made her quite violently sick.

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack

Completely agree about the fact that for some vegans, the idea that something isn’t separated from meat prep or cooking areas would make them feel sick...but, again, this Whopper clearly isn’t aimed at vegans. 

@Hannibal Scorch that whopper looks pathetic for over £5 doesn’t it?

6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Completely agree about the fact that for some vegans, the idea that something isn’t separated from meat prep or cooking areas would make them feel sick...but, again, this Whopper clearly isn’t aimed at vegans. 

@Hannibal Scorch that whopper looks pathetic for over £5 doesn’t it?

I mean, Leon charge about the same for their Love Burger. But then it tastes a bit more premium. Over £5 for a burger like this however does feel expensive. I’ll be honest before I stopped eating meat I’d only go to Burger King when they had deals on because I always felt they were over priced. 

1 hour ago, Loki said:

However, the grill thing is a bit ridiculous.  There's got to be a bit of give and take.  It's not like vegans have an allergy to meat where the merest hint of it will kill them (unless anyone legit has a meat allergy?).  Let the poor grill chef bang the patty on the same grill.

That's bullshit, sorry. Once you introduce cross-contamination, then it's not vegan. I don't eat meat or fish, and the argument that 'well, it's not much meat' might as well be 'but it's wafer-thin ham, so that's basically vegetarian'.

Some people won't care. That's fine. It's not vegan if you're cooking it on something you've just scraped dead cow off.

Forget the vegan argument, cross contamination is cross contamination. When I go Taco Bell, there are some items which can’t be vegetarian/vegan because they use the same oil as they cook chicken. However, that’s on me. At the same time I wouldn’t go to a chippy that cooked chips in beef dripping