VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

Aye true, but I rarely see any of that range in stores. There is something to be said about the price of vegan specific food, companies often charge such a huge premium that it prices out your average family it seems.

Oh that Iceland range is aces, they've done a great job there.

Edited by Merzbow
mums love it

As more people transition the cost will go down. Obviously when you factor in huge quantities of bulk orders that all effects the end price. The more people eat it the cheaper it will become.

Also a lot of the long time Vegans have had so few options for so long that to begin with companies can charge more because of that initial excitement. If someone like Snickers released a Vegan version, I’d get so hyped I wouldn’t think twice about paying £2 for one. Once the novelty wears off they would have to charge a more realistic price 

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

It’s a lot easier for some people to transition and try vegan options when it resembles what they used to eat. It’s also more exciting trying different places takes on stuff. It can be shit, but when it’s good it’s fucking great

I feel like that stuff suffers for the comparison because it just totally fails to be enough like meat, and I'd much rather just eat veggies. Appreciate that's very much subjective though.

If  lab grown meat technology picks up swiftly though, I think the vegan meat substitutes will be forgotten about and be relegated to the same place in history as the minidisc.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

I feel like that stuff suffers for the comparison, and is much rather just eat veggies. Appreciate that's very much subjective though.

If the lab grown meat technology picks up swiftly though, I think the vegan meat substitutes will be forgotten about and be relegated to the same place in history as the minidisc.

It does get better the longer you have gone without the real stuff, you kinda forget what it’s compared to.

I am interested in the lab meat, once I know more about it as it develops I’ll form a proper opinion. Not sure if I’d even be able to eat though. If I accidentally have dairy now I can’t hold a shit in for the following day and any real meat would probably make me throw up. Right now on paper it does look promising for other people 

• Moderators

Yeah, that's why it doesn't work for me I guess. I have substantially cut down the amount of meat I eat* but I am not full veggie.

But that is also why I disagree with your point about it being the option that's good for recent converts / people trying vegan foods out.

* let's just ignore the aberration of the kebab three nights in a row that I mentioned in the eat clean thread earlier....

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I love cauliflower and broccoli, so when I dip into the other side they become my 'main' ingredients. They're brilliant substitutes for anything (well, anything I can cook). I'm gonna try cauliflower pizza base at some point too as that sounds great and well up my street.

If you're around Birmingham town centre on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday, I absolutely recommend Digbeth Dining Club as they usually have some choice veggie/vegan options (apart from the mashed potato samosa, that wasn't to my tastes at all).

• Paid Members

Not a massive cauliflower fan. I've found three ways that I like it: finely minced up in a blender to make cauliflower rice, chopped up and deep-fried until caramelised, or in a cauliflower and Stilton soup.

• Paid Members

That's all still good stuff, CB.

Talking of soups, I make a banging butternut squash soup. Is it soup if it's a bit thick? Yeah, fuck it, it's a soup. It's coming up to Autumn now (second best of the seasons) so It'll be prime time for making it once a week with lashings of cumin and  paprika.

• Paid Members

Roasted Vegetables are something I've gotten into over the last year or so and I think they're fucking awesome. I will have a load with the evening meal and take the leftovers to work with lunch. 

Incredibly cheap, easy to do, and looks full of colour and pomp on your plate if your into that artsy Instagram bollocks. 

2018-09-24 19.48.07.png

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

That does look good, SK, and it reminds me that my sister's been doing something similar recently: cubes of sweet potato with chopped onion, peppers, and mushrooms, seasoned with garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, and ground cumin/jeerah, and all tossed in olive oil. She also puts feta cheese in, which is nice, but it's not absolutely necessary. Roast in the oven and you have a delicious dish.

EDIT: Ooh, forgot - she's also started making kale crisps. Again, tossed in olive or coconut oil, seasoned with (PAGING @Keith Houchen) Dunn's River All-Purpose Seasoning. Fucking skill.

Edited by Carbomb

• Awards Moderator
53 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Not a massive cauliflower fan. I've found three ways that I like it: finely minced up in a blender to make cauliflower rice, chopped up and deep-fried until caramelised, or in a cauliflower and Stilton soup.

I bloody love cauliflower. Apart from the normal ways, I like roasting it whole in a lidded pot with a shake of bouillon powder (eg Marigold) over and a splash of oil. Or completely the other way, cut into florets and roasted on a high heat with cumin seeds until blackened. 

If you want to get inspired, Yotam Ottolenghi's recipes are great. The ingredient lists can be long but serve as decent inspiration.