VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

Not just factory farming - trade in live wildlife too. Saw a report on Al Jaz yesterday about the billions of dollars that industry is worth. They filmed a place in Bangkok which stocks almost every animal they can get their hands - they even had capybaras in cages, for fuck's sake. 

China and parts of south-east Asia are a huge part of the problem, unfortunately - even with laws in place, it becomes impossible to deal with such an industry, as it inevitably goes underground and the money circulating goes up exponentially, and the demand for various exotic animal parts and exotic pets in China and SE Asia is the main culprit. Until they actually end the trade, and take the money out of the equation, they'll never be able to shut down the industry or related ones, like poaching of rhinos and elephants.

In less depressing news, based on the advice I got from this forum, I had some aquafaba left over from a couple of jars of chickpeas, and tried my hand at vegan pancakes. Unfortunately, it was only after I'd scarfed down the last one with peanut butter that I realised I hadn't taken any pics. They turned out way better than I expected them to; bloody nice. No difference in taste from regular pancakes, except maybe slightly less "richness" (for want of a better word), but pancakes are usually about the texture; flavour's in the filling. Definitely will be making them again.

• 1 month later...

I made fajitas using Naked Glory Smokey BBQ tender strips. They tasted nice though the texture was like overcooked chicken breast, but not stringy like real chicken. Although a google image search for Naked Glory strips, doesn't bring up anything remotely like the thing I bought from the Co-op.

Reasonable prices as well. That's a massive selection too.

Made vegan ice cream with the kids the other day. I say made, they and their Mum did whilst I sat and did some crosswords.

We used oat milk and it came out well, but a bit....grainy I want to say but that might not be the right word. Tasty though.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, TheSurgeon said:

Anyone tried the Richmond Meat Free Sausages?

I'm a meatasaurus, but it's difficult to tell the difference.

The normal ones are my wife's favourite sausage (go on...), but we try to move to more vegetarian or vegan stuff where we can, so if these are any good you've just made my day!

4 minutes ago, TheSurgeon said:

Anyone tried the Richmond Meat Free Sausages?

I'm a meatasaurus, but it's difficult to tell the difference.

Think I mentioned them earlier in the thread somewhere. I was very pleasantly surprised at how sausagey they were, and the kids couldn't tell the difference at all.