Sign in to follow this  
UK Kat Von D

VeganMania

34 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Had the veggie meatballs from subway for lunch. Not great, tbh. Texture was ok and the sauce was nice but the flavour was a bit odd. Still, nearly 200 calories less than meaty-meatballs so I'd go for them again.

Snap! I really enjoyed it. I hadn’t had a meatball marinara for years so had no real recollection of what it was like but I thought it was a pretty decent imitation. I didn’t pay attention to the calories but that’s good to know, I reckon I’d go for again. Tried Gregg’s vegan steak bake a few days ago too, found the “steak” a bit grainy but it was tasty enough, surprised how rich the gravy was. Another solid effort by them. 

19 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

well a bacon sandwich has a huge amount more of an impact than a bit of sniff or cigarettes

But it’s relative. One bacon sandwich a year compared to a years worth of heavy use? It doesn’t matter, the fact is they BOTH impact animal abuse. It’s one size fits all, it’s a principle or it’s a hobby. 

9 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

@Rey_Piste that sounds on the higher end of using animal products and the closest thing to “ethically” eating meat. I couldn’t kill an animal that didn’t need to die though.

That's the difference between him and you really he is more concerned about his environmental impact than any perceived morality when it comes to the eating of meat.It's why he converted his Landrover to LPG/Biofuel and when he buys food it's always locally sourced whenever possible.

Just eating the vegan mozzarella sticks from Asda. They are ok, but the lack of melting is a bit wierd to me.

We arent vegan, but we are slowly cutting back on meat and other animal products. Small steps and all that. 

13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

But it’s relative. One bacon sandwich a year compared to a years worth of heavy use? It doesn’t matter, the fact is they BOTH impact animal abuse. It’s one size fits all, it’s a principle or it’s a hobby. 

I’ve done the math before an I think a bacon sandwich is still worse than a years heavy use. The worst thing I do by a country mile is flying, I fly way too much. Harms more animals than anything else I do and does more damage to the planet. I justify it by donating some of the money I earn to charities (mostly animal ones,) but it’s still bad and this year I’m cutting it down.

9 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I’ve done the math before an I think a bacon sandwich is still worse than a years heavy use. The worst thing I do by a country mile is flying, I fly way too much. Harms more animals than anything else I do and does more damage to the planet. I justify it by donating some of the money I earn to charities (mostly animal ones,) but it’s still bad and this year I’m cutting it down.

First of all it's maths, not math, you're not a septic. Secondly an entire hog roast would most likely be less environmentally damaging than a kilo of sniff when you take into account processing and transporting it. As for flying you can use carbon offsetting certificates to give money to plant trees that would making your flight carbon neutral or even carbon negative.

40 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

My point is it doesn’t matter which is worse and by what degree, if it’s against a principle it’s against a principle. Yeah I remember when you told me the amount of birds that die due to planes, I was astounded. Offsetting is a great idea, I think you show the huge difference between “Yeah it’s bad but I can’t make a difference so I won’t bother” and “Yeah it’s bad so I will do what I can to lessen my impact”. You’re taking personal responsibility and I think that’s becoming the norm, thankfully!

16 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

First of all it's maths, not math, you're not a septic. Secondly an entire hog roast would most likely be less environmentally damaging than a kilo of sniff when you take into account processing and transporting it. As for flying you can use carbon offsetting certificates to give money to plant trees that would making your flight carbon neutral or even carbon negative.

When you factor in the amount of landmass, number of animals killed, pollution and water use a kilo doesn’t come close to a whole pig. 
I’ll check out the carbon neutral thing, but for what I earn over in places like New York or Los Angeles I don’t mind giving a bit back to ease my conscience.

20 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

When you factor in the amount of landmass, number of animals killed, pollution and water use a kilo doesn’t come close to a whole pig. 
I’ll check out the carbon neutral thing, but for what I earn over in places like New York or Los Angeles I don’t mind giving a bit back to ease my conscience.

Coca production is terrible for the environment, because you have the farmers clearing sections of rain forest to grow it and you have the government spraying chemicals from the sky to kill off plots. This ends up being a constant cycle of trees being cut because their plot has been destroyed and then it ends up being sprayed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_production_in_Colombia#Environmental_Effects

Pigs on the other hand are actually fairly good for their environment, they can be reared on land that is low in nutrients where crops wouldn't grow. They then root around in the ground and shit everywhere which turns the soil over naturally whilst providing nutrients to it. Las Vegas is a great example of this because their pig farms are taking a load of waste from the excessive buffets and feeding the pigs with it instead of it just being sent to landfill. Then you move the pigs off that land and starting growing crops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrRprZ8C93g

1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

The worst thing I do by a country mile is flying, I fly way too much. Harms more animals than anything else I do and does more damage to the planet. I justify it by donating some of the money I earn to charities (mostly animal ones,) but it’s still bad and this year I’m cutting it down.

...Nah, he can't be using a discussion on ethics to humble-brag, surely.

I hope nobody bites...

*nobody bites*

46 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Never change, Maxwell.

10 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

Coca production is terrible for the environment, because you have the farmers clearing sections of rain forest to grow it and you have the government spraying chemicals from the sky to kill off plots. This ends up being a constant cycle of trees being cut because their plot has been destroyed and then it ends up being sprayed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca_production_in_Colombia#Environmental_Effects

Pigs on the other hand are actually fairly good for their environment, they can be reared on land that is low in nutrients where crops wouldn't grow. They then root around in the ground and shit everywhere which turns the soil over naturally whilst providing nutrients to it. Las Vegas is a great example of this because their pig farms are taking a load of waste from the excessive buffets and feeding the pigs with it instead of it just being sent to landfill. Then you move the pigs off that land and starting growing crops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrRprZ8C93g

I won't comment too much here as I don't have much to add that is particularly informed but as someone who has a small holding I can confirm pigs are wonderful for the environment. They clear our over run and useless land and turn it over, 18 months later it's most arable land on my property.

Edited by ElCece

4 minutes ago, chokeout said:

...Nah, he can't be using a discussion on ethics to humble-brag, surely.

Well that’s my New Years resolution fucked. I’ll try again next year 

I think for certain people it's more about the tag than anything else. Is one person being a chest-thumping vegan who has it on their Twitter handle and adopts it as their persona worth more than 20 people who quietly go about removing meat from much of their diet, but who aren't perfect and don't claim the moral high ground? 

I don't think so.

It's that majority who choose to buy vegan or vegetarian alternatives in Tesco as much as they can, who try the odd vegan recipe here & there and make changes as best they can to their diets and the diets of their families who will make the difference.

It's not an all or nothing game, as has been shown in this thread over the past few pages. Can Loki claim to care about animal welfare and still eat meat? Of course he can, if he's making conscious choices to change how he goes about sourcing his food, and if he's switching from a traditional home-made curry on a Wednesday night to a veggie or vegan curry, if he's actively supporting animal welfare charities then he's doing his bit, and that should be commended. Not every bugger can dive head-first into "kicking off" outside slaughter houses and running facebook groups. That's fine for the young and those with no real responsibilities. And that's not a jab at those people, by the way. We were all there at one time in life.

The twats who define themselves by being vegan, and who judge others by where they see the line being drawn, all the while conveniently drawing their own line to suit themselves are actually counter-productive to the wider acceptance of veganism. 

As I've mentioned previously, I went vegetarian for over a year but it simply wasn't something me and my other half could sustain, but we certainly do our level best to shop responsibly, eat vegetarian and even vegan where possible, when we eat out we almost always give our business to local vegan restaurants and so on. 

I'm nowhere near perfect on the matter, and as such I'll not judge others who choose to eat meat. I'll often suggest they try the restaurants I go to, or will suggest the vegan/veggie alternatives that I buy, but I know that if I get all holier than thou and start banging on about how they must hate animals it won't ever end with them saying "you know what Dave, you're right. I'm a cunt. I'll start eating vegan tomorrow."

Maybe Loki is a Tom Brady vegan, like 50% of the NFL.  Now THAT's a callback!!

There is undeniably a few who adopted veganism as a fashion accessory or a lifestyle as opposed to an ethical choice but at least it's one that is doing the world some good.  It's not like they're Real Ale Twats, now there is a fashion accessory lifestyle we can all hate together!