VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

It's all been mentioned before on this thread, but David and Keith make excellent callbacks to it - the main problem is low wages. Simply put, it's not just about cost, it's about time, and at present, a lot of the convenience foods on offer are the best value in terms of being cheaper, and being less time-costly to a parent who will either have to work extra hours or hold down two jobs.

When all jobs across the board finally start paying a proper living wage so that nobody has to do two jobs that take up most of their day, that's when it'll be cheaper for people to cook for themselves.

22 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Good luck, it's something I've been looking for for years. The closest I've found requires doing shops at multiple supermarkets and getting their individual offers, something a busy parent really can't afford to do.

I’m quite popular with older vegan Moms so have a load on Facebook, they’d be able to give me some pointers. I’m crazy busy next week and have no cooking skills, so really I guess I’m the perfect candidate to try it.

Gonna have to buy a microwave and some cooking stuff though first

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

It might not be. However, a bunch of the ingredients will be enough to make multiple currys or use for other meals. So if you make curry for 8 and freeze it, you've just halved the per-meal cost. The bulk-buying of a bunch of the ingredients is where the bigger savings come in (and often where a little of the dishonesty about the 'per meal' costs turn up in articles, which sometimes present it as if you can buy 3p worth of rice).

This makes the assumption that people can afford to buy in bulk. A lot of families live day to day and eat what they can afford on that basis.

1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I’m quite popular with older vegan Moms so have a load on Facebook, they’d be able to give me some pointers. I’m crazy busy next week and have no cooking skills, so really I guess I’m the perfect candidate to try it.

Gonna have to buy a microwave and some cooking stuff though first

Get a couple of saucepans as well.

You've actually highlighted another issue and that's having "Hardware". I live in a furnished flat and two weeks ago the oven went on the fritz.  I haven't been able to cook properly since and I love cooking. Given how it took my landlord two months to get a new boiler sorted despite me having no hot water or heating, I'm not going to see a new oven this side of new year so I'm reliant on microwave meals and toasted sandwiches. Many low wage families are reliant on landlords and if the landlord is shit, they can't cook if appliances are fucked and not getting replaced.

Making a big vat of stuff can be something the family can be involved in if they are old enough, I know he isn't at the lower end of stuff but I know Loki does that once a month or so and its real handy having healthy frozen meals that you made yourself. Ideally, having a well stocked cupboard with dry good and cans goes a long way, but the initial outlay might be too much for people.  Plus then you've got all the washing up after you've made a big load of food!

Sure, it sounds straight forward, but there are plenty of reasons why people don't cook a healthy vegan meal for families.  I don't mean this snidey, or trying to be funny or anything, but you've said you don't have saucepans, you live off takeaways and you have your son one day a week.  If you were the primary caregiver do you think you'd do the big meal cooking after a day at work every day?

Let us know how the cooking goes though, I love seeing Ricks baking and I'd love to see how you get on.  I reckon with your high profile you could make a successful blog or YouTube show out of it, you'd definitely have a subscriber in me!

Sorry if it's been discussed already, but David Mitchell wrote quite an interesting/funny article about vegans recently:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/09/my-beef-with-vegans-says-more-about-me-than-them-david-mitchell

I'm pretty much with him. I don't like the idea of pigs and cows sufferering before they're slaughtered, but something like a chicken? Can you make a reasonable case for a chicken enduring pain or whatever before it's cut up and fried for my lunch? I apologise if this has been covered already, it's a long thread that I've been dipping in and out of. I'm interested in the ethics of animal slaughter. It seems to me like an animal like a chicken has such a small brain that it really doesn't matter what you do to it as long as it doesn't veer into torture. 

8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah, it has. It was pretty tedious the first time around and don't have high hopes for a second go around. I shall wait with bated breath to be proved wrong.

The article was posted but there wasn’t any discussion about it. What did you think was tedious?

• Paid Members

A good investment for bulk cooking if you don't have much time is a slow cooker. You can get a 6l one for £16 from Wilko at the moment, and you can just bung a load of food in and leave it for 8-10 hours. You don't have to be in, or awake, while it cooks. You do have to be a fan of stews/casseroles/curries though, but who isn't? 

6 minutes ago, gmoney said:

A good investment for bulk cooking if you don't have much time is a slow cooker. You can get a 6l one for £16 from Wilko at the moment, and you can just bung a load of food in and leave it for 8-10 hours. You don't have to be in, or awake, while it cooks. You do have to be a fan of stews/casseroles/curries though, but who isn't? 

Ooh thanks for that! Will see what I can afford and that’ll tide me over brilliantly!  Much appreciated. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

The article was posted but there wasn’t any discussion about it. What did you think was tedious?

I didn't mean the article in particular. But the whole back forth of Maxwell being challenged on his ethical consistency is far less interesting than just talking about tasty vegan food.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

I gave one away recently. We won it in a raffle but it never made it out of the box. Could never find recipes that I fancied but then I reckon I'm the answer to your question "Who isn't a fan of stews and curries?". Don't mind a casserole but that's easy enough in the oven.

3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

There hasn't and the thread is much better for it. I feared that post from Brewster would reignite it, though...

This is why Max needs to make “The Tattooed Vegan Odyssey”.  It would be brilliant.